#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

I didn't sign up for that shit 45 yrs ago as an apprentice..............................fux it! ..................I'm retiring!

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

yeah saw that...extremley impressive. Shit noise, but bloody fast!

#4 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Mesmerising. It looks pretty good from any angle bar the front too. I wonder how much faster it will be doing the lap once they let the computer do the driving.  

https://youtu.be/dAQ_7fQu8IQ

#5 _Axewound_

_Axewound_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

No doubt electric powered vehicles will be the future, though I think they will be more dangerous in an accident as your riding a giant lithium ion battery, watch the standard operating procedure for a red car in formula E.

https://youtu.be/CFM42sY_YWE

One topic about electric vehicles that flys under the radar is battery life expectancy and degradation. Right now Tesla guarantees 8 years for the model S and in that 8th year, battery will suffer 30% degradation and this is a premium product using the best cells available.

I'm all for it, just my thoughts...

Edited by Axewound, 18 May 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#6 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

Shit noise, but bloody fast!

I don't get the aversion to the sound. Jet fighters don't have a V8 grumble and pilots surely still get off on the g-forces.

s

#7 _Axewound_

_Axewound_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

These are cool

https://youtu.be/NNSfiAVOEzU

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#8 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

I don't get the aversion to the sound. Jet fighters don't have a V8 grumble and pilots surely still get off on the g-forces.

s

its just wrong...cars make noise. V8s make good noise, sixes make a slightly less good noise. Electric cars are engineering marvells, but the noise sucks.

Think of sticking your fingers in your ears for 3 hours at an AC/DC concert..i.e whats the point .

#9 _Axewound_

_Axewound_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Doubt people at the top care about the sound a car makes, it's all about winning and breaking records...

Edited by Axewound, 20 May 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#10 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

its just wrong...cars make noise. V8s make good noise, sixes make a slightly less good noise. Electric cars are engineering marvels, but the noise sucks.

You could always get some playing cards and peg them to the spokes.

s

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Mesmerising. It looks pretty good from any angle bar the front too. I wonder how much faster it will be doing the lap once they let the computer do the driving.  
https://youtu.be/dAQ_7fQu8IQ

Anyone else catch the comment on YouTube:

"self-driving supercar? it's like having a self-fu cking super model... what's the good of that?"

Hahahahahahah

Edited by Heath, 13 July 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#12 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

No doubt the death of petrol/diesel will happen quicker than it would seem possible today. France has a ban on fossil fuels by 2040 but others will ban it before then especially  California.

Lithium was never going to be the future its only an interim solution. Its about fast charge and 600km+ range on full charge.

Graphene Supercapacitor based storage is the future.

https://www.business...16-10?r=US&IR=T

Supercapacitors have not seen widepread use due to their low energy storage capacity. However, Swinburne University researchers have re-engineered the supercapacitor by using graphene. According to Dr Han Lin, one of the researchers, graphene's large surface area enables more energy to be stored.

"Our supercapacitor is extremely efficient, as it charges in a matter of seconds and holds a larger charge for a longer time because it consists of multiple sheets of graphene," said Dr Lin.

"What’s more, charging and discharging won’t degrade the battery’s quality, so it can theoretically last for a lifetime – a unique property in the world of batteries."

In addition, the supercapacitors are very strong and flexible, and can therefore also be used to develop extremely flexible and thin batteries that could be built into wearable clothing and other personal accessories.

https://www.engineer...ery-replacement

Cameron

#13 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

s

#14 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

cameron, as probably aware.. it's not just the batteries

EVERYTHING will be graphene! give it long enough.. even parts of the the driver lol

The future IS graphene.

#15 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

EVERYTHING will be graphene! give it long enough

Was watching TV the other day and some Aussie guys are developing a graphene filter that makes dirty water and sea water drinkable.

I couldn't find the guys but here's the concept.

https://www.ft.com/c...04-59efdb70e12f

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 20 February 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#16 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

Technology is moving so fast that just when your adamant that something can't be improved  a new product or model is announced that is so much better. I have no doubt even with my limited years remaining that not only will electric and hydrogen cars dominate the roads but we will look back on fossil fuel powered cars much like we look back at the horse and cart. Its like looking back at my first B&W TV and my current 75" TV and wondering how I could have thought it was good.

Bring it on I say.

Cameron

#17 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

I agree - people will look back and laugh 'one day' - I just hope that day is still a fair way off.

I can picture the medium term future containing roads full of self-driving, electric cars - with anything else being banned from accessing those roads as they won't comply. At least in the major cities.

There will be "dinosaur speedway tracks" setup where those of us refusing to let go of our noisy old petrol drinking machines will be allowed to go and enjoy our cars. We will be a minority. And realistically, we'll definitely see it during our lifetime. Time to go and live in the outback - Mad Max style - searching for fuel!!!!

#18 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

I can picture the medium term future containing roads full of self-driving, electric cars - with anything else being banned

It won't get to a banning, it'll be financial elimination; petrol will become too expensive for most to be able to afford to drive fossil fuelled cars. It'll be a bit like Mad Max, those that can afford it will be holding it in their own tanks which they pay for a service to fill up or take home jerry cans they fill up at an airport or wherever the last of the petrol distributors end up.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 20 February 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#19 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

I agree - people will look back and laugh 'one day' - I just hope that day is still a fair way off.

I can picture the medium term future containing roads full of self-driving, electric cars - with anything else being banned from accessing those roads as they won't comply. At least in the major cities.

There will be "dinosaur speedway tracks" setup where those of us refusing to let go of our noisy old petrol drinking machines will be allowed to go and enjoy our cars. We will be a minority. And realistically, we'll definitely see it during our lifetime. Time to go and live in the outback - Mad Max style - searching for fuel!!!!

The guzaline the precious guzaline

#20 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

Edited by Indy Orange, 20 February 2018 - 09:12 PM.

#21 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

https://youtu.be/k6GeHnMwl1c I found this interesting.

Edited by Indy Orange, 20 February 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#22 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

https://youtu.be/jntsT0BdxDwAnd this.

#23 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

Lol a Mad Max style fuel tanker. Might be the new accessory for those who still want to fire up their old dinosaur once fuel becomes almost impossible to get. Electric engines certainly bring the zero emission revolution, but perhaps also a new zero noise law to further bury any thought of dinosaur resurrection.

Cameron

#24 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:37 AM

https://youtu.be/jntsT0BdxDwAnd this.

Does this guy get paid by the minute? Always so much piffle. He's got his facts wrong, 1.2 billion vehicles won't automatically retire, they'll be phased out when owners have to make a decision; do I repair the car or buy another one, the old car goes to the wreckers, like we've always done then they either buy a new or second hand electric car.

I skipped through it and from what I could see, he didn't answer the question, how much oil is left. The 'gushers' of the past are getting fewer and far between, oil is getting harder to extract from wells that are left, you have to use heat and high pressure to scrape the gooey stuff left on the walls of empty wells. Apparently we're past the half way mark of what's left though experts say it will never run out; it will get to a point where it will be too expensive to mine and what's left will stay there. Same as we've seen with the abandoned nickel mines, the price of nickel right now doesn't justify mining it, it costs more to extract than the return you get after you sell.

s

#25 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Electric engines certainly bring the zero emission revolution, 

There is a lithium mine only ten kays from here. Trust me. There will always be lots of emissions. And not just from the coal fired power stations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users