Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

All

I purchased the Rare Spares window rubbers that sit on the outside of the moving glass (the door belts). However, the back ones are not correct. When i wind the rear window up they are pushed out of the bracket holes.
Any ideas, or are they just wrong

#2 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

It was 6 years ago I put a full rare spare rubber kit in my lc. The two rear ones you are talking about are still brand new sitting on my shelf
I gave up and left them out
Cheers

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hi

My paint and body guy says that the Rare Spares front screen rubber that I bought about 8 years ago has shrunk to the point where I will have to get a new one. Has anyone had this trouble before? And while I think of it - what is the Rare Spares mylar locking strips like?

Cheers

Bazza

#4 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

r2160 and Bazza, PM me your details if you could and I'll do my best to sort out your problem.

Regards

Edan

RARE SPARES

#5 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

The mylar locking strip isnt exactly right.. wrong profile and wrong width.. If u can.. find some NOS stuff. Its sits and locks the strip sooo much better,, and yes.. Ihave th 2015 rubbers and they have shrunk a little.. been on car for 1 year now.

Pic is of NOS strip.. notice it has a square profile as to the repo ones which is round.. and see how it fits the centre locking strip sooo much better.. It all helps. I can find a repo bit.. sorry

Mike

Attached Files

#6 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

pic

Attached Files

#7 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

My window fitter told me to find a good second hand rubber and not buy a new one as they are not wide enough and don't cover the bottom corners of the front screen recess

#8 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:58 AM

My window fitter told me to find a good second hand rubber and not buy a new one as they are not wide enough and don't cover the bottom corners of the front screen recess

The 2015 rubbers that I fitted cover the corners well????? I had/seen some early versions and they were rubbish.. The new 2015 mouldings seem to be much better.... Especialy the rear coupe quater window seal... Fits very nice..

#9 _Dovii123_

_Dovii123_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

I've had the same problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 craigcn27

craigcn27

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name:craig
  • Car:lc

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:11 PM

I used Rares front and rear windscreen rubbers that when i first installed them had insufficient rubber to fit the corners. I stretched mine for a few days and re tried and the extra rubber filled the corners  nicely. For mylar strip i used and old school auto rubber that is intended for gemini/ cortina. My original mould joiners were a little tight but the rares mylar was a sloppy / to small fit.

the window guy installed the window rubbers with the mylar strips already in the winsdscreen rubbers and currently fits really well. Can't tell you what it will be like down the track as i've only just installed them. The experienced installer who is also a car enthusiast talked me into NOT using mastic even though i had a tube of Wurth DAB off for the job. At the moment no leaks with washing the car.

Photo's attached 2 photo's before rubber was stretched and the rest were after stretching. Hope this helps others

#11 craigcn27

craigcn27

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:17 PM

Picture of how I stretched them on my hills hoist. I tape marked the corners first to know were i needed to attach my straps for stretching

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 December 2023 - 07:39 PM

The experienced installer who is also a car enthusiast talked me into NOT using mastic even though i had a tube of Wurth DAB off for the job. At the moment no leaks with washing the car.

So no sealer at all, anywhere?

#13 craigcn27

craigcn27

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 04:32 PM

Non what so ever. The guy who's been in the business for many years said with a good fit shouldn't need it and it means you can forever use the rubbers.

He does many local enthusiast cars and frequents cars shows as he commented on the fact on the amount of poor fitting window rubbers installed on nice cars.

He was happy to use the DAB off that I had if I really wanted it but as he was the pro I took his professional opinion. At this stage the rubber fit against the car is tight so can see why not overly required. In time it may change but as he said if it does become a problem you can always pop it out and reseal it.

The glass fit also plays a part, I used glass for classics to supply the kit (obviously they source the glass from other manufacturers, note able a company in VIC)

#14 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 14 December 2023 - 04:19 AM

I had to use the wider Gemini chrome mylar in my front screen. The chrome mylar in the rare spares rubber kit didn't fit in the front windscreen seal from the same kit. When I contacted rare spares they said that they'd heard of the problem on another occasion but took no responsibility for it. I didn't buy the Gemini chrome mylar from them after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users