wet sanding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

when sanding gelcoat off of flare kit what is good to sand with [i mean what graded paper] and wet or dry ?

i will epoxy then absinth yellow colour or do i use high build as well ?

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

First, why would you sand the gelcoat off?

#3 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

arh yes so true, sorry not sand off though

to take the shine off it so the epoxy will stick to it 

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Well if your not sanding through the gellcoat then you dont really need epoxy. 

And if they dont have any imperfections that need addressing then they dont need high fill either. 

Either way high fill will only be needed if its needed. 

I would chop the gelcoat with 180 dry and a semi flexi block and see what it looks like after that, if there are lots of shiny spots left (low spots) or you block through the gelcoat (high spots) or more likely both then go the epoxy over the raw glass and high fill route (after scuffing the shiny bits.) 

Or if they look to be in real good shape just hit them with a maroon (coarse) or green (medium) scotch brite pad. Probably a coat of primer/surfacer, another scuff and top coat. 

As always, its impossible to give you a step by step guide without actually holding the parts in my hand and anyone who tries is just blowing smoke. 

Your first step will be to check them out REALLY closely and see where you think they should go from there. 

#5 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

^^^ this guy

Ace advice DJ

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:44 AM

Eh, I try. 

Take it or leave it, i just try to say how I would go about something, anything thats not clear ask again with some more detail and I will try again hahaha. 

#7 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

thanks i love and appreciate your advice 

the wheel flares are good but the front spoiler weve have to cut and reglass and as i was bending passenger side around to meet wheel flare i craked spoiler oops! so a few repairs have been needed and chips was told from posting ?

all good cheers

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Because we can't inspect it as bomber said, you could block it with 180 dry as he's stated, 1 coat of epoxy, 240 that put some high build on with some thinner added & wet rub them on the car. I'm sure bomber & the other painters will agree, don't paint any of the outside parts at a different time to each other, even out of the same tin there's at least a 50% chance of a "visable" colour variance, I've seen that happen plenty of times to people's disappointment. Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users