#26 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Finally got the engine block and heads back. The machine shop I had been using for the past 28 years has been sold and taken over by new owners, I was going to use them but got recommended another machine shop by a mate that who did good work and reasonably priced. Well I didn't expect to have to wait for almost four months but didn't hassle them. I gave the machine shop strict instruction of what I wanted done. Chemically cleaned, new cam bearing, bored & honed, rods checked and pin fit, main tunnels checked, and heads serviced including all new guides. I know I am a bit fussy but this is how the engine turned up.

Attached File  DSC_00101258.JPG   66.67K   1 downloads

Its a bit hard to see but look at all the crap and silicon in the rear seal recesses. He didn't put the block through to hot tank, didn't remove the welsh plugs. When I questioned him about not even removing the welsh plugs he told me they were brass. I said only two plugs were brass what about the rest and the cam welsh plus were supposed to have been removed and acid hot dip the block and heads. He shrug his shoulders. The old story once they have your money there isn't any use complaining. So removed all the welsh plugs, degreased and steam cleaned the block myself and started from scratch. Also a bit hard to see in the photo but number 8 cylinder bore was damaged at the bottom 10mm where his tool must have come loose and has scored the bore no possibility of trying to hone them out .010" deep. Lucky it won't effect performance or longevity of the engine but not happy Jan. He didn't say anything, I think he thought I would take the Stevie Wonder approach to the engine assembly. I didn't go to his shop with a guide dog either.

Anyway with my bitching out of the way I fitted the new cam bearings, borrowed more measuring gear and double checked every thing twice. Every thing measured up ok. With every part properly clean and ready to go back together I did the assembly. Don't like fitting rope rear main seals but after 3 hours I got it just right. Luck all the bores were machined to the correct sizes and the ring gaps were all spot on.

Attached File  DSC_00191257.JPG   90.25K   2 downloads   Attached File  DSC_00181256.JPG   122.23K   1 downloads  Attached File  DSC_00201254.JPG   68.47K   2 downloads

And as they say in the cooking shows, "here is one I prepared previously"

Attached File  DSC_00221255.JPG   91.94K   1 downloads

And its back in. Next free day I will do the wiring hook up and fire it up. Just as I took the photo I realised this was the first V8 I have build that is basically stock. Its got a bit more compression, a bit more lift and duration in the cam but that's it. hmm must be getting old.

Attached File  DSC_00231252.JPG   150.21K   4 downloads

#27 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Certifiably Insane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Bloody hard to find good help these days, nobody gives a toss, especially once they have your money!

Not to be 'that guy' but why paint it red? Shouldn't a WB have a blue motor?

#28 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Yep still has its blue motor heritage but keeping it with the HZ sandman theme. My mate that started this project purchased a HZ twin headlight front and the original WB panels are long gone. Rather than trying to buy a good WB front I am going to use the HZ parts that it come with.   

#29 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

It may have been pointed out already, but the chassis ends on the WB are different to the HZ & earlier which makes it a challenge to hold the bumper bar up.

#30 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

I have heard there is a difference but without seeing both together its hard to visualise. When I get the panao moving under its own steam again my intentions are to fit up all the front panels and see how everything lines up and panel gaps. Then I will have to attack the front bumper mounting.  

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,463 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

You can see it in your photos above, the normally rounded/finished end of the 'horn' at the very front of the chassis rail is cut off. Put your HZ bumper bracket up to it and you'll see you are missing the forward most bolt mount in this area.

#32 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

Finally the panno has a hart beat again. Its good to hear it run again. Started first pop. Checked all the compressions 150psi on all cylinders and no oil leaks. I did however have one hiccup, I removed all the spark plugs and wound it over to get oil pressure first, the needle & seat stuck and flooded the carby and manifold before I noticed it. It even filled the secondary's and fuel run through the butterfly shafts. I am glad I disconnected the coil wire so there wasn't any spark. Forgot how tedious the old quadrojets are to pull apart. Anyway got there in the end. One more small step forward. 

Attached File  DSC_00301353.JPG   161.97K   4 downloads   

#33 warren ht monaro

warren ht monaro

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name:Warren
  • Car:HT Monaro

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hi Axitir,
Looks great and you have done well. The commentary is also interesting to read. It will be a cool van once it's done and you can look at it and say to yourself, I built that.
The best thing to do with a WB is make it look like a HZ so what you are doing is great is my thoughts. As you would know if you want something done properly then you usually have to do it yourself. The machine shop work was a shocker. I'll keep a look out for updates on this thread.
Best wishes,  Warren.

#34 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Thanks Warren,

Got a bit side tracked this week. I got given a second hand PX1 Ford Ranger that wont start and need a bit of attention and a mini make over. So I thought I would do a restro on it.

I started by putting it on the hoist and give it a full inspection and check for voltage leaks. Like my PX2 ranger this earlier PX1 also has electric power steering and a heap of extras mine doesn't have. I haven't got any grand kids yet but I think they will have a ball cruising around our property when they decide to start to learn how to drive.  

I gave it a quick vacuum and polish but I should have taken some before and after shots. Anyway I managed to get a few shots of it on the hoist.

Sorry if the photos are a bit small.

Attached File  DSC_0046.JPG   143.04K   5 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0045.JPG   96.85K   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0043.JPG   153.27K   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0040.JPG   149.84K   1 downloads

#35 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,243 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van VF SS Ute

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Like most fords always on hoists

#36 warren ht monaro

warren ht monaro

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

The Ranger looks like a fun little project to have a play with. It won't take ages to sort out which is good as it gives a little satisfaction in a shorter time than a full on restoration.
Have a bit of fun with it Axitir.

#37 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

It's time to connect the cooling system. Purchased a new brass/copper radiator $500 later but need something to bolt it to, so back into a bit of panel work. Striped back the radiator support and inner guards and to my surprise how go these panels are, no rust repairs needed and like new now that's a bonus, then primed them. I haven't done any spray painting for some time and its all very different to what I am used to. The old methods of etch prime, primer and reprime are all memories. My son is a panel beater and said don't use that old stuff go 2 pack. So its now in Epoxytec primer and drying. if the weather is ok in the morning I will give the panels a sand and black top coat. Must say the 2 pack primer is much easier than the old system.

Lucky I'm on acres so I can paint out side behind the shed and not bother anyone and the horses didn't mind they just looked over the fence with a curious look.

I still have trouble getting my head around applying this epoxy prime before doing any body filler repairs. Just old school thoughts but My son assures me its the only way to go. I painted the upper tail gate and will bog over top as advised. it need bugger all as I file finished 90% of it.

Attached File  DSC_00481501.JPG   125.63K   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_00491500.JPG   63.82K   2 downloads

#38 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Wow, rust free rad support is a rare find these days!

#39 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

I took the safe option and sanded the guards back to bare metal. Drivers side guard almost perfect and only had to weld up the body strip protector holes. File finished the rest of the guard ready for epoxy prime. The left guard only had minor rust which was an easy repair and decided to fil in the aerial hole. Also managed to paint and fit the radiator and radiator support, connect the cooling system, start and tune the engine. Its always satisfying to hear the engine running right after so much time spent rebuilding it.

Attached File  DSC_00551553.JPG   139.7K   1 downloadsAttached File  15124335900391552.jpg   439.18K   1 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0056_11554.JPG   142.52K   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0059_11555.JPG   134.52K   1 downloadsAttached File  DSC_00611556.JPG   121.29K   1 downloads

#40 warren ht monaro

warren ht monaro

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted Today, 10:14 AM

Looking good Axistr. The van will be a cool thing for you when it's done. Also good to see that the Ranger is off the hoist and back on it's wheels after it's service, ha. ha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users