Photo

Axistr's new project (SANDY)

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#101 _warren ht monaro_

_warren ht monaro_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

They look much better now. I do understand the, being a bit fussy thing. You've done well improving the seat covers. Nice work with the back seat panels.

#102 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

If wanting to have a product that fits as intended is being a bit fussy, then we should all be guilty of that.

Fair Trading loves stuff like this Lenny.

The product has to be to a reasonable expectation of the purchaser.

In your case, it doesnt fit that criteria.

The supplier gets a chance to make it right, or refund the cost.

But they do get a chance to make it right if at all possible.

I would seriously consider taking that path.

Cheers

Rob

#103 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

Rob, I am over it. Just need to keep moving forward, I have been restoring the Panno coming up on two years and I can see the finish line.

Got the underlay and carpet in, fitted the seats and as usual I cant seem to just get something and put it in. The door trims were made by the same company as the seat covers. Last time I got them to make me some door trims for the SLR I got all the clips and all the holes cut out in the vinyl ready to install. Unfortunately this time no clips, no holes cut out for the winder etc and they forgot to attach the weather strip. No big problem but of course all took time. Bloody hell it sounds like I'm a big winger. Anyway the door trims do look very nice and at least I didn't have to pull them apart and fix them first.

Attached File  DSC_01823546.JPG   147.95K   7 downloadsAttached File  DSC_01883529.JPG   105.69K   6 downloadsAttached File  DSC_01913528.JPG   99.72K   6 downloads

C&G auto upholstery also supplied me with the underlay and moulded carpet no problem with them, took my time and fitted perfect. Just to be clear they are not associated with the seat and door trim supplier.

Just as I finished a member of the local wildlife come into the shed to check out the Panno. It just stood there staring at the van for ten minutes. I got within two foot  to take the photo and still stood there memorised, it looks  someone is impressed. He even hopped under the van and checked out the underside, buggered if I know what the hell he was up to. 

Attached File  DSC_01853531.JPG   175.99K   7 downloads

Now its time to do a bit more tuning, sort out what I'm going to do with the wheel and down for the rego inspection. Sadly I will have to put it up for sale soon but might have to take it to the drive in first just for old time sake. 

#104 _warren ht monaro_

_warren ht monaro_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

It's looking great. The winged inspector must have been impressed as well. It's a shame you intend on selling the van but you have to do what you have to do.

#105 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

its really starting to come together - ive read the last few pages.. i think you have done a great job with what you have had to work with

all cars take work but yes it doesnt help you pay people to do things and its not 100%.. or near to

But onwards and upwards...

Edited by boomfunk, 24 May 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#106 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:57 PM

Yeah Warren I would love to keep it but half way through the build I bought another car which I have always dreamed of owning for many years and it was just one of those deals to good to walk away from. I already have six registered cars and the van makes seven, and I promised the Mrs I would part with one. Just got to much money tied up in cars and cant drive them all. I had a real hard time deciding which one. I would like to leave my son and daughter a car each as they both enjoy driving them, so couldn't part with them. My son keeps insisting I put the hatch in the will for him. All I can say is he better not give me the shits in the mean time. 

#107 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

Is that perhaps a bower bird looking for a classy new home?

There really needs to be a different form of registration for owners of multiple cars.

Historic rego does make it somewhat cheaper, but as the number of cars go up, so do the costs.

And with the new historic rego allowances, I know of a few people locally who appear to be stretching the intent of the new rules.

Pretty sure that the HWP guys are on to it to an extent.

There was a big hoo ha over a bloke fined not that long ago for not having his log book filled out correctly.

Im pretty sure if he didnt get pinged, he would have kept doing the wrong thing.

Perhaps registered and monitored GPS could be utilised to ensure compliance.

The technology is already there.

If you were selling this in about a year, I would have been a likely buyer. lol

Loved my old 253 work van.

Wish I had never been drunk enough to sell it when I did. Or for what I did.

Cheers

Rob

#108 okjorg

okjorg

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Name:okjorg
  • Car:1977 LX Holden Torana - LX8VC69

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:36 AM

Hey Lenny!!! After a few months away from the forum; I was super excited to see that you’ve smashed out a new project!!!!!

To sit & read through your explanations, adventures, and learn from your systematic approach to the Sandman has been awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing

Would love to see more photos and hear more details when it comes time for you to sell her!
Cheers Mate

Sent by okjorg using Tapatalk

#109 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

I couldn't make up my mind with the wheels so I decided to refurbish the hot wires, and I liked the idea of saving around $1,600.00 The photo doesn't show how poor condition they were in. 

Attached File  DSC_02623682.JPG   152.5K   3 downloads

started out by giving them a good rub down with 400 sand paper followed by a rub with a scotch brite pad. Followed by a buff with my cotton ball buff tool attached to my cordless drill and some Frits polishing cream, then repeated this step again and again.

The rim cleaning and polishing  part took me six hours. Time to do the tedious job of masking up every spoke. To make the job more painful the local paint supply shop only had 6mm wide thin tape and the spokes are 3.5mm so I had to trim off the excess from every spoke.

Washed down and wiped every tiny little crevice with wax and grease remover followed by a coat of etch primer, then three coats of Saturn black paint.

Attached File  DSC_02633681.JPG   115K   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC_02643683.JPG   178.34K   3 downloads

I have new wheel centre caps and  four new 225/60R14 tyres coming on Monday. Then its off for the blue slip. I have also decided to order the factory style hocky stick strip kit which will take a few weeks to turn up.

I was hoping to take it to the all Holden day at Clarendon in August but I have heard the entry's are already closed. The hatch is already book in so its a Torana day again for me this year.

#110 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

Hey Lenny!!! After a few months away from the forum; I was super excited to see that you’ve smashed out a new project!!!!!

To sit & read through your explanations, adventures, and learn from your systematic approach to the Sandman has been awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing

Would love to see more photos and hear more details when it comes time for you to sell her!
Cheers Mate

Sent by okjorg using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive feed back. Yeah it doesn't seem like a long build when you quickly read through the posts but its coming around to two years since I started this project, wow time fly's. I am an amateur  photographer, the key word here is amateur, but I like taking light painting shots of my cars. Once the new strip kit turns up and I get around to fitting them I will get my good camera out for a photo shoot. All the photos on here were taken with my old Sony phone so they were a pretty piss poor attempt. And to make things worse I generally take shots when its around Bourbon time so I don't know if its the focus or my eyes that are out of wack until the next day. 

#111 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

When doing some refurb on some on some of my old hotwires I stumbled across this paint at Bunnings. It had that slight metal fleck in it like the original paint had.

As for the masking. I just masked up the rim and scraped off the paint on the wire hatch whilst the paint was soft.

Attached Files

#112 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the tip Bret. I also used Rust-oleum paint but didn't know it was available in metallic, that would defently give the rims a bit more bling. There were so many marks in the spokes that I had to rub them out with a sandstone rubbing block, so after so much elbow grease work I couldn't bare the thought of putting paint all over them. But probably would have been a lot easier.  

#113 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

I would have done it that way too.

Scrape it off, give it another good rub with 600 plus grit, then polish up again.

#114 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

The new wheel centres turned up, new boots all the way around so the wheels are all done. Just waiting for the new hoocky stick stripes to turn up and its just about done. Taking it for a rego check tomorrow, then I can drive it around and drop it off  to the local exhaust centre to get a new duel exhaust system made. 

Attached File  DSC_02703727.JPG   157.56K   9 downloads

Edited by axistr, 02 July 2019 - 07:05 PM.

#115 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

Paint looks great  :spoton:  

#116 Cognac

Cognac

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LH SLR 5000 - LX L31 SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

Looks fantastic Lenny another great effort mate.......are you putting the exterior sandman graphics on?

#117 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

Thanks Steve, Yeah they have been ordered just waiting for them to turn up.

She passed the blue slip on Wednesday with flying colours. Just got to get the paperwork sorted for the historical plates and it's cruising time.

I was very impressed by how it drove, no rattles, shakes, bangs or drive line whines, it drives like a new car. I was half expecting a short list of adjustments and things to do, but it think its just the strips and a good detail to go.

#118 Cognac

Cognac

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Car:LH SLR 5000 - LX L31 SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:08 AM

It'll look great Lenny, can't wait to see the final result.....post up lots of pics mate

#119 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

The sticker kit finally turned up this week, took me three hours but happy with the results. and now its finally finished.

Attached File  DSC_0320_33918.JPG   144.07K   5 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0321_23913.JPG   144.83K   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0323_23915.JPG   155.58K   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0324_23917.JPG   171.33K   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0325_33916.JPG   164.71K   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0326_23914.JPG   157.32K   6 downloads

Its  been raining here the past two days and when it stops raining I will get my SLR camera (rather than all the photos here taken with my phone camera) and take some nice photos finished.

Ok now its all finished its up for sale. The big question, what price range should I price it in.? What do you guys think it would be worth. I am only putting it up for sale is due to me purchasing my dream car 3/4 of the way through the van build and I promised the wife I would sell one, just got to many cars and unfortunately its the van that must go. I am not in a hurry to sell it and will take it out for a few cruising days in the mean time.

#120 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:33 PM

I was skeptical earlier when you mentioned the stripes but that just looks awesome...top work, Lenny!

Although I have to say that an inch out of the front springs would make a world of difference too. ;)

I have no idea what it's worth but if I had somewhere to park it under cover I'd be reaching for my credit card right about now! I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better quality resto. Good luck with the sale.

#121 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,118 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

That sticker kit certainly makes it pop
looks great with the hotwires to

#122 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

I just wish I had the money.  A credit to you, and agree the sticker kit just finishes it off beautifully.  Cheers Ron

#123 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

How good does that look!

#124 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

Should take your missus for cruise :rockon: ..... pretend your 18 again. She might change her mind and let you keep just one more.

#125 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users