Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

G'day All

My club, the Cootamundra Antique Motor Club was invited for a run out to Ariah Park by the Temora Antique Motor Club for a shed crawl

OK, so you may be thinking Antique Motor cars, boring  :wtf:

Not really as I do like to look over interesting machinery of all types and yes, I am a dedicated Torana Nutter

So last Saturday we drove out to Temora, met up with that club and motored on to Ariah Park, a small town west of Temora and had a yummy morning tea at one of the Temora's club members house

Ariah-Park-1.jpg

AND at this place we perused over Ray's Austin A40 ute that was nearing completion

Our club member, on the left, Ted, Austin A40 man, gave Ray a good bit of advice on various parts and offered some of his spares to Ray

Ariah-Park-7.jpg

Also out in front were 2 Fords with restored caravans behind and a very neat Ford roadster

Ariah-Park-2jpg.jpg

So we pressed on to another interesting shed  :driving:  

Now when you hear the name of Alldays & Onions, you might be thinking that is the name of a Grocer

Ariah-Park-4.jpg

BUT, you'd be wrong  :wtf:

This is an Alldays & Onions car 

Ariah-Park-3.jpg

1914 to be precise and so proud of their machinery, they even have their name on the side valve cover 

Ariah-Park-6.jpg

An add for it

Ariah-Park-5.jpg

195 pounds back in 1914 was a lot of money

Onward to another shed   :driving: and more interesting machinery, a Lanz Bulldog tractor

AND yes, you have have to heat up the head with a gas torch before you can start it

Ariah-Park-9.jpg

A 1928 Studebaker Dictator had this interesting radiator ornament

Ariah-Park-8.jpg

Onward to Rob's farm   :driving: where he has his own hangar and of course his own plane and tucked under one wing was an MGTF AND there we also a BMW R1000 bike and some Jaguar cars

Ariah-Park-10.jpg

AND just over to the left and tucked away in the corner was this very nice Norton model 88 motor bike

Ariah-Park-11.jpg

Rob has a barn as a workshop and who, who, I say who do you find in farm barn  :dontknow:

A bloody barn owl of course  :spoton: 

Ariah-Park-12.jpg

Great day out and he morning "T" and lunch was supplied by the Temora Club  :spoton:

RegardSS   ...................... Barry

#2 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

looks like it was a hoot of a day. some very nice looking items there.

#3 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Nice write up Barry. I like interesting machinery as well...and whales and trees too apparently.
Given the title of this thread I thought you were going to tell us about how you bought that old Torana that's sitting out there...

Edited by Zook, 21 June 2017 - 06:54 PM.

#4 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

Nice write up Barry. I like interesting machinery as well...and whales and trees too apparently.
Given the title of this thread I thought you were going to tell us about how you bought that old Torana that's sitting out there...

Funny you should mention that old Torana sitting  out there

Some years ago I found a Hatchback in a backyard at Ariah Park and basically the shell was sitting on the ground and bits were everywhere including in his bedroom

BUT he did want to sell BUT I was told he was a bit dodgy and he wanted 10g's for it so I gave it a miss

10g's and a full rotisserie resto was needed and that did not suit me

At one of the sheds we were looking at, that house was only about 200 metres away but we were on a strict schedule to go through all of the sheds

RegardSS ............... Barry 

#5 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

That sounds like it. It's condition has not improved during the intervening years. But $10k for an LX hatch? Sounds fair to me, where do you find them?

#6 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Not sure if I remember if it had tags but for me if it was an SL, I would not be interested as the work and money spent would not justify doing a full resto and as said, it would have to be a full rotisserie job

When I got my SS some 9 years ago, I only had to get a new clutch and overhaul the box and I then had a rolling resto ie : can get it registered, drive and enjoy while being able to drive it around to get some jobs done to finish it off

Was told of another Torana further out west by my son so will have to investigate that a bit more 

RegardSS ............ Barry

#7 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Good to see you out having a great time Baz, i really like your little adventures & the photography & commentary. Gary.

#8 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

Good to see you out having a great time Baz, i really like your little adventures & the photography & commentary. Gary.

Thanks Gary, I like to add a bit of commentary to my pics as just saying "this is a veteran car" is a bit dull

AND as far as the photography goes, I've had a camera in my hand ever since I could hold a "Box Brownie"

BUGGA, that shows my age  :blush:

Glad you liked it    :spoton:

RegardSS ............... Barry

#9 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Ok. I'll bite. WTF is a box brownie lol

Cool pics as usual Barry :D

#10 _Darylle_

_Darylle_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

Thanks again for sharing, very interesting!

#11 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

Ok. I'll bite. WTF is a box brownie lol

Cool pics as usual Barry :D

Like I said, I'm showing my age about using a Box Brownie and this is one

box%20brownie.jpg

I used one about circa 1959

You had to cup your left hand around the view finder on the top to be able to see your subject clearly as any sunlight made that tiny image in the view finder hard to see

Normally they are Black but the travellers (sales agents) selling to shops had Blue, Brown and Red as "sample" cameras

The Red one being the most rarest

Take only black & white photos and you had to be very steady of hand as they were not the quickest shutters in those days

RegardSS ............ Barry

#12 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

One of our friends has a slightly older Alldays & Onions, there were some great names of makes back in the day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users