46 replies to this topic

#26 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

I got done years ago by number plate recognition within couple hours after it expired going to shops for smoko on a weekend..never got renewal.

Explained was shiftworker to cop & the whole situation...he said drive back to work,finish then straight home..get rego sorted asap,no ticket.

2 months later fine come in mail ffs.

Preferred old sticker system,if you knew car was out of rego you wouldn't drive it.

Edited by gtrboyy, 21 June 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#27 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

You interstate guys make me laugh, only $800 for unreg & uninsured.

In NSW they don't muck around with small change. A mate of mine got done several years ago at 2am on the first day it was out of rego, going home from shift work & it cost just on $1400. Pure revenue raising, nothing more, nothing less.

Have a look at rego costs in NSW. My 1977 HZ 5.0 One-Tonner costs over $1500 per year, including CTP. It ticks all the 'boxes'. Over 10 years old (bad), engine over 5000cc (very bad), commercial  goods carrying vehicle (the audacity), & over 1,500 kg kerb wt (OMG). 

A new revenue trap is the cost of CTP. One of the questions on application is, do you have any demerit points ? If the answer is yes (even if it's only one point) then the premium goes up $200-$300. A bit costly if you have more than one car.

Dr Terry

#28 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

I would have been happy to pay a $5000 fine if I could remove the 5yrs worth of worry about my car getting impounded. 

#29 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Or you could not do anything stupid and not get your car impounded

#30 wild orchid

wild orchid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

I got let off about 5yrs ago.cop said go and get it all done the next day

#31 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

Or you could not do anything stupid and not get your car impounded

I certainly dont plan to, however driving a modified vehicle not in compliance with the safety standard is a pretty open ended law. What dictates a Mod? What if the officer is misinformed on what constitutes a Mod? You dont have the ability to argue the matter in a court of law, the officer makes the decision and calls the tow truck. A simple random breath test could end up in a world of hurt. 

Edited by hanra, 22 June 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#32 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

I got let off about 5yrs ago.cop said go and get it all done the next day

Unfortunately being picked up by the number plate recognition camera removes that ability. 

#33 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

4C70C35D-3938-47F2-9936-7CBEF71FF8A3_zps

9C46F7CA-2ED2-4CCC-975D-3BEA66319196_zps

E20EB0AD-8CD1-4B9C-8949-AECAD42C50FB_zps

43973660-57E1-4DD7-936D-C12721A31B22_zps

F9D0325A-9EA2-4553-9AA8-EED88D72BD8B_zps

B8FF9401-49CD-4E40-A1C5-FDA42371E0A8_zps

#34 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

The amount of people getting booked in the ACT nowadays due to not having rego stickers has climbed hugely.  And as they say in court, ignorance is no excuse ...Hard lesson learned by you mate, sorry to hear!

#35 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

Bloody worrying story, can't even legally argue your case for any chance to win. Far Out. I used to drive unreg/uninsured quite often, even got caught once about 20 years ago, lots of money but that's all I remember. No idea how many points went with it.

I've been good since moving into town though, the XU1 is a bit more noticable in here.

No more unrego driving for me.

Liz :)

#36 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

Yeah nsw greenslips are the new jokes that aren't funny either. Vp v6 ute now classified 'metro' area $1200 average then add rego $400 rego & inspection. I never lost no points etc but fine was just $600 or so but could easily been doubled...still peeved fine was sent in mail months after.

#37 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

Good to see QLD is no longer the most expensive state to register a car. .

But fms we are expensive enough, thats a frOcking rort what you guys are getting. 

#38 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

and you guys think us mexicans are weird,

at least we have relative good regulations and cost in comparison, i think the heat up there is cooking some brain :stirpot:   

#39 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

https://www.facebook...7255684/?type=3

Edited by Lazarus, 24 June 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#40 _hotlx8_

_hotlx8_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Unfortunately being picked up by the number plate recognition camera removes that ability.

Everyone hates on cops for doing their jobs, but unfortunately computers are taking away the one thing that cops always had (and often used)....discretion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Zero tolerance is the future.

Don't know what else to say except that is a huge bummer Brad.

Totally furking ridiculous that an offense like driving an unregistered vehicle is even remotely linked in any way shape or form with hooning.

Just my 5 cents.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by S pack, 24 June 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#42 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

I'll wear the fine etc it's no loss of points. However I do have to scratch my head when I watch those RBT shows and people are nailed with all sorts of serious drug/alcohol/weapons offences and seem to get off with some pretty light penalties.

$2000 is a fairly steep fine that I got I think.

#43 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I thought another quirk about this entire situation was when I elected to take this to court, I had to be used with a summons to appear.

So to issue me with a summons the following has to be carried out.

Section 56 of the Justices Act 1886 requires these documents be served on you by registered post at your residential address.

Justices Act 1886 - SECT 56

56 Service of summonses 56 Service of summonses
(1) A summons shall be properly served upon the person to whom it is directed if it is served in accordance with this subsection, that is to say—
(a) in the case of a summons directed to a person to appear to answer a complaint of a simple offence or breach of duty—by posting (by means of registered post) a copy thereof addressed to the person at the person's place of business or residence last known to the complainant at least 21 days before the date on which the defendant is, by the summons, required to appear; or
(B) in all cases (including the case referred to in paragraph (a))—by delivering a copy thereof to the person personally or, if the person cannot reasonably be found, by leaving a copy thereof with some person for the person at the person's usual place of business or residence or place of business or residence last known to the person who serves the summons.

http://www.austlii.e...886119/s56.html

I thought to myself.... Wow isn't this just stupid!!! How am I supposed to receive the summons when Australia Post do not deliver to my registered address.

In the end I actually had to contact the Courts and they sent the summons to my PO Box, however I guess I could argue that that section of the law was not followed....! Lol.

Otherwise I would not have received the summons, missed my court appearance date and probably have had a warrant out for my arrest....

Edited by hanra, 24 June 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#44 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

OK, next quirk. The Magistrates Court have my residential address on file as they should (remember NO POSTAL SERVICE TO RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS). When the guilty verdict was handed down and the matter referred to SPER, my address details were simply copied over to SPER.

So...... I have not received anything from the Magistrates Court outlining the guilty verdict or SPER for that matter... Reading the details on SPER's website, If I dont act and pay the fine within 28 days (I think it was about 60 days ago now) SPER can act and suspend my drivers licence. SPER will however send a notice of intent 14 days before suspension to give you one last chance. 

But SPER will have my residential address which has NO POSTAL SERVICE.... If I am booked driving un-licenced that is considered to be a Type 2 offence, and guess what.... that would mean a 7 day impoundment of the car Im driving..... 

So I now have to chase up SPER to pay them my $2000 fine.... and could have been running the risk of vehicle impoundment if my licence was suspended. 

Ive called the DTMR and its still valid, so Im ok to drive home from work.

This is all a bit ridiculous really...... I never received my Rego renewal, I never received my court summons, I never received the details of the fine and have never receieved anything from SPER. 

#45 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Bout time to get a p.o. box...or ask if all your mail can get sent to work?.
Funny that here you are desperately wanting to get mail....and just about every business/ department is telling us we dont need mail..so tick the box for email only.
The system is all screwed up.

#46 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Theyve got you by the balls.

There will be something in the rules that as the registered owner of the vehicle you have the responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is registered.

They dont accept the mail doesnt get delivered as a valid excuse.

I think from memory in NSW at one stage they said that sending the renewal notice was actually only considered a courtesy.

As far as the penalties go you will have even less to stand on.

You were in court when the penalty was handed out so it would be up to you to address the issue of payment.

The system sucks but it is what it is.

I managed to get off an unregistered uninsured once.

Took a bit of time.

Over a year in fact.

Only cost me for 1 stamp.

#47 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

Bout time to get a p.o. box...or ask if all your mail can get sent to work?.
Funny that here you are desperately wanting to get mail....and just about every business/ department is telling us we dont need mail..so tick the box for email only.
The system is all screwed up.

Yep Ive got a PO Box. Ive had one the entire time. 

Just spoke to SPER, they were about to suspend my licence on Monday. The fine was overdue on 18th July. They send a letter of intent out prior to suspension 14 days prior. Funny she had all sorts of problems trying to enter a PO Box into the address field on here system. It kept defaulting back to the residential. I still dont think it got entered in properly in the end and she had to put the PO Box into a note/file. 

Edited by hanra, 25 August 2017 - 02:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users