mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:lh sedan gpac, uc hatch

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I would likely hear about the historic / club Rego in different parts of Oz. I believe we need a better system preferably a national one so we can register and use our cars on a minimal basis without being ripped off . We would all own other daily drivers so we are already paying our fair share to the govt for road maintenance etc. Surely something can be done to give genuine enthusiasts a fair go as well as ensure safe vehicles and driving behavior. What do you think.

#2 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

move to NSW

Good system already here!

#3 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

QLD = Bend Over.

You and anyone driving your special interest vehicle must only use the vehicle for:
• Participating in rallies organised by incorporated vehicle clubs—a rally is a social event whereby a parade of special interest vehicles travel together for competition or to meet at an agreed location. Rallies are usually listed in a incorporated club newsletter or on the incorporated club’s website or social media page.
• Participating in processions for which a Special Events Permit has been issued under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management –Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2015
• Exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes
• Ceremonial purposes (such as weddings, formals, funerals) involving immediate and de facto family members, or as part of a sanctioned incorporated club event, provided this is not done for fee or reward. Immediate and de facto family means parents, grandparents, sons, daughters, grandchildren, adopted children and adopted grandchildren, but not extended family members such as aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces
• Events sanctioned by the Australian Street Rod Federation (ASRF)—street rods and hot rods only
• Preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above activities
• Direct travel to and from an approved inspection station to get a safety certificate or certificate of inspection before offering the vehicle for sale
• Travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no distance restriction, however such travel must be reasonable and justifiable by the vehicle operator
• Road testing within a 15km radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged or is being repaired. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair or restoration, or for general vehicle maintenance and not for any other purpose. This does not include use as an everyday means of transport. A passenger may travel in your vehicle to assist with road testing—only if your vehicle can legally carry passengers.

Road testing within a 15klm as the crow flies is about the only time you can take the car out for a quick spin without having to deal with your club.

Edited by hanra, 27 June 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#4 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Rumour has it that WA is going to change from the archaic system currently to something better.

Anyone heard anything?

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

A bit of noise is going to be made here soon

Not sure on outcomes yet

#6 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

NSW is excellent , I don't come anywhere near using the sixty days at only a dollar a day to use it , I couldn't be happier .

#7 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

I think QLD SIVS rego/ctp was $210 when I paid the other week.

#8 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

Sa has there new conditional registration system coming in 1st july $90 for 90 days anywhere in australia 😁

#9 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:47 PM

Interesting to hear your states situation . It's seems that NSW and SA allow a certain number of days usage even if not used solely for club events. Whereas in Qld where I am the only extended drives have to be with your club . I don't mind joining a club and having them or someone inspect my vehicles however I want to go for a drive or cruise without doing it always as part of a club event . Has anyone tried or know of any efforts to change the system here. A log book system and so many days per year sound better.

#10 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

WA

http://www.transport...nConcession.pdf

Cameron

Edited by cameron, 27 June 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#11 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Interesting to hear your states situation . It's seems that NSW and SA allow a certain number of days usage even if not used solely for club events. Whereas in Qld where I am the only extended drives have to be with your club . I don't mind joining a club and having them or someone inspect my vehicles however I want to go for a drive or cruise without doing it always as part of a club event . Has anyone tried or know of any efforts to change the system here. A log book system and so many days per year sound better.

Yep we already have historic rego here in sa the car has to be stock standard with very few mods allowed you can drive 90 times a year anywhere you want any day you want but the new changes from july 1st allow any modified cars 30 years or older to access the scheme....

#12 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

ACT is pretty strict too on mods. Plenty rort the system though so won't be long before it collapses I reckon.

#13 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

ACT is pretty strict too on mods. Plenty rort the system though so won't be long before it collapses I reckon.

Yeah mate i do the historic inspections here for torana club.... we have 8 second street cars that will get on the scheme now plenty will rort the new system.... we have heaps on normal historic that rort it as it is the new system says as long as your car is road worthy and 30 years old you qualify no inspections either.... you dont even need to inspect the car we only need photos what a frOcking joke...

#14 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Yeah mate i do the historic inspections here for torana club.... we have 8 second street cars that will get on the scheme now plenty will rort the new system.... we have heaps on normal historic that rort it as it is the new system says as long as your car is road worthy and 30 years old you qualify no inspections either.... you dont even need to inspect the car we only need photos what a frOcking joke...

Very similar system here in Vic. You can have 45 or 90 days use. 90 days is around $140 with 45 days around half that. Rules are the car has to be 25 years or older and if modified you need to go through and obtain a VASS approval certificate. Otherwise if not modified only a RWC is required. Pretty good system although it was open to rorting before the RWC was implemented a year or 2 ago. You need to be a member of a club also but can drive the car when you want to. Log book is required to be filled in too.

Edited by LHSL308, 28 June 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#15 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

All great info , thanks . As usual Qld is behind the times in this area. The way I see it , there are two issues involved . First , is the vehicle safe to drive . A roadworthy inspection annually seems fair for any car over 25 years old . If modified then the engineers report or MOD plate should address that when first Rego and then roadworthy cert to make sure it still complies. The second issue should be a reasonable fee to drive a special interest or classic vehicle on a limited basis without being tied to club only events. Membership with a club could be mandatory with some benefits like Cams motor sport events etc , or optional if you just want to cruise with family or friends. Seems like some states are getting close to a good model . Maybe Shannons or similar could get involved to lobby for a national standard.

#16 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Stuff getting a RWC every year! There are plenty of late model cars driven by dero's that need this law before well maintained classics. 

#17 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Yep can only agree with you there Hanra . In Qld at least we don't have yearly rwc and I'm glad about that.

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

A yearly roadworthy seems fair? You must be in the spanner game to think that.
The vic system is pretty good. As for rorting this isn't really a problem. Club vehicles are very much under represented in road incidents. I think there is a bit of jealousy in some of the rorting comments.
It's the same sort of old boy attitude that has held back schemes in nsw and sa. Times have moved on and expecting very old cars like ours to be bog standard is not realistic or reasonable.
I don't care what someone else can get away with. Good luck to them stretching the boundaries as long as they behave themselves on the road.

#19 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

No I'm not in the motor trade Rexy. I'd prefer not to have yearly inspections and "fair " mightn't be the right word.Just thinking of a system that has some checks and balances for those idiots who want to drive unsafe cars for cheap Rego. Last time my cars were Rego d they were on full Rego and daily drivers. I've never joined a club and am not inclined to do so , but don't have anything against them other than that some can be bit narrow minded. However if govt talks to clubs they will probably advocate membership. Come back to my two points, cars should be safe albeit modified , which usually means improved and safer than original , and then pay a small cost for the minimal miles they do.

#20 FNQ

FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

Sadly the horse may have already bolted on this one for qlders.   ( view previous similar threads from over a year ago. )

1. the scheme trialled in nsw  ( and largely similar to Victorian scheme) 90 days / reduced rego/ no need for logs  or set days etc/ but needed some sort of annual checking, was looked at by Qld state Govern. - 2015 ?? ithink maybe 2016

2., the govt took 'their version' of the scheme to a state representative body.

I think it was Motoring and Car Clubs, which meets monthly with parliamentary reps and has representation from lots of antique, vintage, period, historic and regular car clubs )

3. for one reason or another  this group did not support the adoption of the trial in qld  Not sure exactly why as i think it is a great idea but(maybe the onus /costs/ duties called upon for car clubs to effectively manage the scheme was different from other models in nsw and victoria  or maybe i am just guessing!!!

BUT

some 6 months or so after this occurred, it was again raised in a parliamentary community forum  and the response was ( my words not theirs)  this has been voted on and knocked back by qld car clubs at present there is no further thoughts about putting this back on the agenda...   So we are stuck with the special vehicles scheme, which by and large suits quite a few vintage and other car club types, but sadly doesn't match my wants.

#21 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

I've been on SIVS for just over a year now. I think it is fantastic!

It wasn't that long ago when we had NOTHING!  Pay the full rego & suck it up.

Fortunately there have been a mass of psuedo 'Clubs' started in Mackay. (I assume it is much the same in other Qld towns) so every weekend there is something on. These unorganised 'Clubs'/ cruises can be nothing more than a few guys who just want to go for a drive, all the way up to a 200 car event (which is monthly). 

Ok so here's where the smoke & mirrors come into play ..... All of these gatherings are listed in our Club's newsletter. Which basically means that every time there is a cruise/run/show on (every Friday, Saturday, Sunday up here) i can take our SIVS registered car out to play! :)

Add to that the 15Km radius for 'testing' at any time, & a 'reasonable' radius (distance is not specified) for repairs/quotes etc then there isn't really a time when i can't drive our car! lol

If i need to go further (interstate) then it's just a simple matter of letting the Club know in advance so that the trip can be recognised & logged. It's no big deal! :)

The only issue i have with the SIVS scheme is that we can't use our cars for formals/weddings as much as we would like.

I would have thought that exposing these cars to the younger generation (formals) can only be a good thing! Why limit it?

#22 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

That's what I was wondering FNQ . The motor clubs have a vested interest in people joining them and those of us with modified classics now called Restomods I believe get tagged as hoons etc. I believe if my car is safe and modified within legal guidelines I shouldn't have to be told when and where I can drive it by a car club. I pay my money I should be able to get my value in sometime . And a sixty or ninety day total is ample for a weekend cruiser. That's why I think we need a voice with someone like Shannons to put our point across.

#23 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

That's interesting Statler. I had talked to a mate about starting our own club and setting the rules to suit our needs. Is that what you meant by pseudo clubs . Do you know what's involved.

#24 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi,

NSW has got some good , if somewhat confusing , stuff - 

.....my understanding of the present NSW system...its pretty good, but is going through a revision, probably due to some users not playing fair...

I'm sure we have all seen VK Commodores with blowers hanging out of the bonnet, proudly displayed on Historic plates......doh.

1. Present  - CRS - Conditional Rego Scheme ( Historic), Owner must be  a club member. Vehicle can be used on clubs runs etc, and if applied for, also 60 days personal use. There are log book requirements.

At least 30 years old, no mods allowed, except for safety mods. ie seat belts etc.( this last point is as legislated, but there seems to be some flexibility/club variation).

Administered by clubs, inspection typically by clubs, some clubs require pink slip, some dont.  This is some what understandable, as if you are driving a T Model Ford / Stanley Steamer etc  on H plates, theres a good chance it couldnt pass any emmission or brake test anyway. So what's the point of a pink slip?

2 The new,  ( additional ),  scheme that is currently being implemented. Called Classic  Vehicle Scheme.  Ownership / Useage same as above.

It is intended to seperate genuine Historic original type  cars, from mod. cars.

It has 2 parts, depending  on the car - 

Slightly Modified - can be owner certified, think drop tanks, locker diff centre,  and minor mods, WILL require a pink slip each year. ( I think)

Really Modified - requires Engineering certification, Blue Slip, Pink Slip each year.  Think big engines , turbos, tunnel mods etc

It gets further complicated, by the fact that for BOTH the Classic  Vehicle Scheme categories,  your club only has to confirm you as a member, thats it. Your club then needs to be Affiliated with an ""Approved Organisation""  ( there are only a few in NSW). They then assess your application to be CVS regoed etc. 

The waters seem incredibly muddied in the CVS area though...for eample changing valve train parts ( that may effect emmissions ) need to be engineered!

Thus a hot cam, theoretically, puts you in the Eng. Certificte world. So does changing a diff ratio.( they say it makes speedo incorrect)

It is in its infancy....will be interesting to see how it goes. Suffice to say that once in and running...the story is tha tthe RMS/ Police will be closely wwatching ust what is on genuine H plates.

All from memory,& IMHO

#25 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

That's interesting Statler. I had talked to a mate about starting our own club and setting the rules to suit our needs. Is that what you meant by pseudo clubs . Do you know what's involved.

You have to be a financial member of a club.

Historic vehicles—proof of eligibility
Club membership - You require evidence, at the time of application, of current membership with a Queensland incorporated vehicle club or incorporated association to be eligible for this concession. This membership should be maintained while the vehicle is registered under the scheme. Your incorporated club can provide evidence of your current membership, which needs to:
be on club letterhead
include details of your vehicle (make, model, year and chassis number)
be signed by an incorporated club official.
Vehicles other than historic ambulances and fire-fighting equipment vehicles must be registered in the name of the incorporated club member (individuals only). However, the Department of Transport and Main Roads may also approve incorporated historical societies with a recognised interest in vehicle heritage to register eligible vehicles under the scheme. Such applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. Contact your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services for more information.

If you live out in woop woop you may be exempt from joining a club.

Club membership exemptions
If you live in a remote area you may be eligible for an exemption from the incorporated club membership requirement. All exemptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Contact your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services for more information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users