72 replies to this topic

#26 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

I've been on SIVS for just over a year now. I think it is fantastic!

It wasn't that long ago when we had NOTHING! Pay the full rego & suck it up.

I put my little red cute car on club rego in 2003/2004.

#27 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

That's interesting Statler. I had talked to a mate about starting our own club and setting the rules to suit our needs. Is that what you meant by pseudo clubs . Do you know what's involved.

First you need to be in an affiliated Club to obtain SIVS rego. 

You can't just get together with a couple of mates, call yourselves a Club & BAM! Cheap rego. 

#28 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

I have looked into the saga of Queensland looking into changing to a logbook type system. There is an advisory committee which liaises with the government in regards to car club matters. It looks like one of the main sticking points which led them to advise against any change was a probable annual increase of $50-$100 to cover the extra admin costs. Printing of books etc. The council looks to be dominated by antique and vintage car  who state in the minutes of the meetings that the majority of their members only drive their cars less than 5 times a year and they couldn't justify the extra cost. A system of an optional log book was also considered but rejected? Hopefully one day sanity will prevail. I work rotating shifts so I only have every second weekend off, when the only local club only has 3-4 runs a year it's a bit hard. Not sure what will happen when I get my $1200 rego bill in August? I like to be able to take my Hatch for a drive whenever I want without having to worry about whether i comply with the restrictive guidelines. Logbook type rego would be perfect for me. I only do about 1000km per year.

#29 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

No I'm not in the motor trade Rexy. I'd prefer not to have yearly inspections and "fair " mightn't be the right word.Just thinking of a system that has some checks and balances for those idiots who want to drive unsafe cars for cheap Rego. Last time my cars were Rego d they were on full Rego and daily drivers. I've never joined a club and am not inclined to do so , but don't have anything against them other than that some can be bit narrow minded. However if govt talks to clubs they will probably advocate membership. Come back to my two points, cars should be safe albeit modified , which usually means improved and safer than original , and then pay a small cost for the minimal miles they do.

Totally agree with the safety side of things the idiots over here in s.a that ripped the system in the past will have a free for all now that the government have taken away the clubs compulsory inspections i can only imagine what unsafe pieces of shit they will be driving now take a twin turbo lc torana i know of 8 .6 seconds car with standard brakes omfg but hey maybe im just jelous and old haha....

#30 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

Its a bit hard to have the club run the inspections side of it sometimes. My little red cute car is in the Mini Owners Club of Qld, this club is based in Brisbane. There are no local Mini car clubs. In fact there are not a great deal of affiliated car clubs up here at all. There is a Ford club. No active Holden club. There is one Hot Rod club and one restorers club. 

We have tried to set up a satellite FNQ branch of the MOCQ so that we can organize local events, but there is not enough volume of little cute cars up here to make it worthwhile. It gets a bit old fashioned going on runs with the same 2 cars every month. 

I never really use my little red cute car so it dosnt bother me that there are no club runs. 

Im a member of the Holden club but once again its not really active, so no club runs etc. 

Personally I just cant see how it would ever work if the clubs themselves had to manage the scheme and conduct inspections etc in regional areas where the clubs may have 10 members. 

If I ever drive either of my cars its only in the cooler months, so perhaps 3 months of the year. So for me the 15klm road testing etc works ok. The fuel evaporates in the tank so I need to go to the servo to fill up. Or I just bled the brakes and need to road test etc. 

#31 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:lh sedan gpac, uc hatch

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

So this is a case of where restricting Sivs to Club only events is not a fair balance. I don't see why the clubs have to have the responsibility of inspection when we have already approved inspection stations .

#32 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

Good points hanra & mandytory i agree with clubs not inspecting the car's the problem in s.a is we have regency park who check defected cars and any big modifications you do once your car has passed you get exemption papers and off you go....the new system that comes in on the 1st is a joke any mods you do now on your car do not need approval from anyone as long as you think it's safe enough to be driven on the road then the clubs have to put it on the scheme how can that be??? We had to jump through hoops to get a 1 inch wider wheel approved now it will be a free for all as the guys rorting the previous system will kill the new one in no time makes no sence to me or all the other historic guys I've spoken with....

#33 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Do you not have to comply with the Vehicle Safety Standards in general? I dont think classics should be exempt from that? You should get a Mod plate from an engineer for any major mods performed eg: donk upgrades/brakes/suspension.

#34 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

Do you not have to comply with the Vehicle Safety Standards in general? I dont think classics should be exempt from that? You should get a Mod plate from an engineer for any major mods performed eg: donk upgrades/brakes/suspension.

Yes mate you do have to comply with safety standards but the owner has the power now to by pass the safety check for his mods with this new law as the clubs have no say anymore...

#35 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

So its no different to modifying your car under full rego and just hoping you dont get pulled up and defected? 

#36 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

I have looked into the saga of Queensland looking into changing to a logbook type system. There is an advisory committee which liaises with the government in regards to car club matters. It looks like one of the main sticking points which led them to advise against any change was a probable annual increase of $50-$100 to cover the extra admin costs. Printing of books etc. The council looks to be dominated by antique and vintage car  who state in the minutes of the meetings that the majority of their members only drive their cars less than 5 times a year and they couldn't justify the extra cost. A system of an optional log book was also considered but rejected? Hopefully one day sanity will prevail. I work rotating shifts so I only have every second weekend off, when the only local club only has 3-4 runs a year it's a bit hard. Not sure what will happen when I get my $1200 rego bill in August? I like to be able to take my Hatch for a drive whenever I want without having to worry about whether i comply with the restrictive guidelines. Logbook type rego would be perfect for me. I only do about 1000km per year.

You aren't limited to only doing the 3-4 runs/yr! 

There are a few guys from your surrounding area who regularly bring their cars into 'town' for local events, all legally!

As long as your 'Club' (who you have SIVS through) is notified in advance of your travel arrangements, you can bring it into Mackay/Rocky/Townsville/Timbuctoo to attend those events! 

The Mackay & District Holden & GM Club have a few members out your way.

If you were wanting to drive it to Moranbah, Dysart etc for 'quotes/repairs' then that's acceptable too! :)

#37 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

So its no different to modifying your car under full rego and just hoping you dont get pulled up and defected?

Bingo!!! but what they don't get is have an accident and you have no insurance!!!

#38 FNQ

FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

i think the onus on inspections from the club point of view is different from inpection stations.  ALL cars have to be safe,,, thus inspection stations,, but the car club has to swear that the pretend A9X with turbo and blow off valves is a legitimate historic car, and I think the clubs in general take this seriously, again because if misused i am sure it will come back to bite the club.  Now what is a modification and still meets the historic requirement,,,  ( big argument )  but i think hq's running LS engines with approvals etc  would test those limits..  and I believe some clubs being lenient and others being too strict has caused issues in other jurisdictions.( not QLD)

#39 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

I got told when enquiing no engineers report no 60 day rego for tubbed sle..stops a lot of heavily modified cars from getting it.

First club did say too modified yet another club said if mods are on report it's eligible.

Join club...still need inspection for roadworthy & identification then do all the paperwork.

#40 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

Bingo!!! but what they don't get is have an accident and you have no insurance!!!

So it's just like everyone else!

Probably time they let anyone with a full licence and a car over 40 years old participate without troubling the fuddy duddies running some of the clubs.
The cops will sort out the problem cases like they do with everyone else. In my experience the coppers are very tolerant of wild and crazy cars on the street as long as you are behaving yourself.
The comment earlier about the QLD old boys not wanting to widen their scheme because they were already in and it might cost them a few bucks to let others have some fun is in my experience typical of the small minded attitudes pervading most clubs.

#41 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

So it's just like everyone else!

Probably time they let anyone with a full licence and a car over 40 years old participate without troubling the fuddy duddies running some of the clubs.
The cops will sort out the problem cases like they do with everyone else. In my experience the coppers are very tolerant of wild and crazy cars on the street as long as you are behaving yourself.
The comment earlier about the QLD old boys not wanting to widen their scheme because they were already in and it might cost them a few bucks to let others have some fun is in my experience typical of the small minded attitudes pervading most clubs.

Rexy im happy for modified cars to have a scheme i helped get our new one passed working with all the clubs here in s.a.... i have payed full rego on my cars except my hk for over 10 years my a9x costs me $255 for 3 months and i drove it 5-6 times vs our new scheme of $90 for 12 month 90 day use im happy.... it's just the pieces of shit that will be on it now with no checks is a concern....as i have said guys doing big mods now don't have to answer to anyone want to cut your floor out and put a new one in go for it as long as you think it's done right it's ok never mind you can't weld haha...

Edited by bullitA9X, 30 June 2017 - 09:13 AM.

#42 mandytory

mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:lh sedan gpac, uc hatch

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

These are all great comments and just shows there is more than one side to any issue. I think the problem is that in the govts consulting with our interest group they need a wider scope . In Qld apparently it is the old vintage car type clubs that seem to get the most say . I wonder who has been listened to in SA to loosen up the rules so much. We need somebody who can represent the middle ground , people like us who appreciate our cars but want to modify them sensibly for road or occasional track days. Bring them in the modern era a little with better brakes , transmission , air conditioning etc . Everybody will have there own view and agenda but maybe this forum could survey it's members and come up with some guidelines. ??

#43 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

it's just the pieces of shit that will be on it now with no checks is a concern....as i have said guys doing big mods now don't have to answer to anyone want to cut your floor out and put a new one in go for it as long as you think it's done right it's ok never mind you can't weld haha...

They still have to watch out for the cops or the Department of Transport who will quickly defect them. I dont really see the problem here? 

I do however think its lame when gammon cars which are 30yrs old are on the SIVS scheme. Recently I saw pics of a Datsun Bluebird station wagon wearing SIVS number plates. I mean cmon.... its not a Special Interest Vehicle.... 

Edited by hanra, 30 June 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#44 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

These are all great comments and just shows there is more than one side to any issue. I think the problem is that in the govts consulting with our interest group they need a wider scope . In Qld apparently it is the old vintage car type clubs that seem to get the most say . I wonder who has been listened to in SA to loosen up the rules so much. We need somebody who can represent the middle ground , people like us who appreciate our cars but want to modify them sensibly for road or occasional track days. Bring them in the modern era a little with better brakes , transmission , air conditioning etc . Everybody will have there own view and agenda but maybe this forum could survey it's members and come up with some guidelines. ??

We have been trying to get a modified scheme in s.a for over 10 years it' just crazy that we had to jump through hoops to get a 1 inch wider wheel approved but now it seems a free for all...sure clubs will put things in there constitution to cover them well you would hope so but all the owner has to do is bring some photos prove he is a financial member and it's done....we have a big day Sunday where the government media and car clubs have a car display to welcome the new scheme will be interesting to hear the governments take on this....

#45 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

They still have to watch out for the cops or the Department of Transport who will quickly defect them. I dont really see the problem here?

I do however think its lame when gammon cars which are 30yrs old are on the SIVS scheme. Recently I saw pics of a Datsun Bluebird station wagon wearing SIVS number plates. I mean cmon.... its not a Special Interest Vehicle....

Hanra each historic inspector has to fill out a form thats called a MR334 a lawyer friend has said to me be carefull signing that because if something happens and they want to sue they could look at the person that put the car on the scheme but hopefully sunday the government can clear this up....i wont have a problem putting cars on the scheme as long as im covered....

#46 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Yeah see thats where I dont think there should be any responsibility for the Car Club to do an inspection of the vehicle. What qualifications do you require to do that? Do you need to be a qualified mechanic? Is the car put up on a hoist and road tested etc? 

I think Its up to the Garage/workshop/Inspections station to do a RWC on the vehicle, the club should just confirm that the car is 30+ years old and that you a financial member of the club. 

If you then decide to go off and put mini tubs in etc and dont get an engineer to inspect/mod plate and you get defected by the cops, the responsibility should totally be on the operator. 

#47 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

Yeah see thats where I dont think there should be any responsibility for the Car Club to do an inspection of the vehicle. What qualifications do you require to do that? Do you need to be a qualified mechanic? Is the car put up on a hoist and road tested etc?

I think Its up to the Garage/workshop/Inspections station to do a RWC on the vehicle, the club should just confirm that the car is 30+ years old and that you a financial member of the club.

If you then decide to go off and put mini tubs in etc and dont get an engineer to inspect/mod plate and you get defected by the cops, the responsibility should totally be on the operator.

The new scheme we have does take the inspection responsibility away from the club as you say we can't say weather a car is safe or not... but the legal MR334 document that the club person putting the car on signs is the grey area....i liked the stat dec as at least that covered you but now they have taken that away aswell....i think im going to see if i can still get individuals to sign one when i put them on the scheme at least im covered that way....

#48 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

That's exactly how it is now?

#49 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

In QLD yes, but seems other states are not. Which dosnt make sense.

#50 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Under the WA scheme cars have to be original. The departments would not have the knowledge to determine if a car is original or not. Does a Torana have 13" wheels or 14inch as standard? are questions that the clubs know but the authorities would not have a clue. So under the existing scheme they really have to be authorised by the clubs. Under a more logical scheme (90 days log book use or similar) then as long as the car is roadworthy then it would take the necessity of having to ensure the car is original out of the equation and take the stress off the car clubs. It would also allow safety changes to be made (brakes etc) that would be better for all concerned (unless you want originality) but of course now I am preaching to the choir...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users