mandytory

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:lh sedan gpac, uc hatch

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

Has anyone looked at using a skyline power steering rack on lh lx uc torana . My son has a spare R34 rack laying around and I put it next to my uc rack , it's practically the same length and a front mount. I'm no expert on steering so don't know what the crucial factors are. Looks like it might work to me though.

#2 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:24 PM

Steering is not that simple esp for something like a rack and pinion swap. If you don't understand steering geometry better to not risk safety and go for something bolt on where you don't risk you, your car or someone else.

Here is a bolt in system with good feedback from owners.

http://www.gmh-toran...-steering-kits/

Cameron

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:18 AM

The critical factor is the width of the fixed-length part of the rack itself, in other words the distance between the inner tie rod ends (the ones inside the rubber boots), as well as how far you need to move the rack housing away from the K-member to make it fit?

Essentially these inner pivots have to end up dissecting an imaginary line between the UCA & LCA pivot points longitudinally, and the two outer tie rod ends laterally, when in the centred position of course. And then you have to consider the height of the tie rod ends as you need to keep the tie rods as close to parallel with the lower control arms as possible through their full range of movement?

Many people here have spent many hours researching this and measuring bump-steer but I've never heard anyone mention a Skyline rack as a possible replacement before? I have the standard Torana rack measurements here somewhere but can't lay my hands on them right now, maybe someone else has them handy?

Edited by Bigfella237, 02 July 2017 - 02:19 AM.

#4 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

The centre to centre of the inner tie rod ball sockets need to be 625-628mm.

Well said Andrew that pretty much sums it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users