#1 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

Hi,
Many thanks to Herne who forwarded me these pictures,
I have hosted them so everyone can view them,
any questions on the instillation can be directed to Herne,
as I am yet to complete this mod on the LX.

First set is an overview, before and after,
the next lot is the regulator (window winder)
and pictures of hole drilled to fit the winder.
then some wiring pics,

Over View
https://cache.gmh-to.....tric Windows/
Regulator
https://cache.gmh-to...dows/Regulator/
Regulator installation, and extra drilled holes
https://cache.gmh-to.....ulator Setup/
Wiring
https://cache.gmh-to.....ing Pictures/

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

#2 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

Good work Herne, and Big Chris! What are the electric regulators out of?

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

Regulators with electric motors fitted can be from VN-VS Commodores (top of the range type models eg Calais) NOT VT onward

The regs from these cars are identical to the ones used in 2 door and 4 door LH/LX and probably UC I imagine.

I bought mine from a private guy wrecking his car from home. Paid $50.00 each for two complete Calais doors which I stripped. I know wreckers and ebay people generally want quite a bit more than that for a regulator/motor.

Cheers
Herne

#4 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

on ebay there is a brand new reg's , just need to add a motor, search for it.

i got both my vs reg and motors for $50 each, worked out to be 25 more than the manual torana ones

#5 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

herne,

Im wondering can i put vn-vs electric into vk commodore, ive got a calais with power windows but they are so s-l-o-w...realy slow and i no that the vs are faster

can you see any reason why it wouldnt fit and what do i look for to figure out if it will work, maybe to long.. any help would be good, im keen to change them over

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hi Boomfunk,

I wish I could answer your question but I don't think I have ever seen inside VK doors hence I do not know.

All I can ask is do the doors have the same regulators as the Torana LH/LX/UC ? If they do then I cant really see why it would not work. But it would mean spending some hours juggling the regulator and motor in elongated holes testing where it worked best.
We used an old rusty LH door to cut the front skin off and tested the fit with it. By far the hardest thing was aligning the window so it ran correctly and true, it was a matter of putting in some time. Cutting the skin off made life easy for a test fit.

When we spent a day at the wreckers looking at various regulators and electric motors we found the VN to VS range had identical regulators. I cant for the life of me remember if we checked out the VK range as we were looking for something that would fit and wasn't too old.

If I lived closer I would drive round and take a look and also strip my door down and show you first hand what we did.

If I can help in any way I dont mind people emailing me or chatting here on the forum. I just wish I could be more helpful.

Cheers
Herne

#7 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Herne,

Thanks for that info, the torana ones are diff to vk, but yeah i think it will be a measure and see, if its not too long and wide then just spend some time with it.

I think it will be a fairly long process, not just a buy and fit obviously...

The only reason is the calais... vk stuff is old now, and i often think i could wind it up quicker then the power motor does... it shits me !!

i will see how i go, looking in to it, i have vs also by the way but im not pulling that apart....

#8 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

Hi,
does anyone know who to contact to get this post pinned,
to save space, as this topic does get asked a lot.
Cheers
Chris.

#9 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

herne,

Im wondering can i put vn-vs electric into vk commodore, ive got a calais with power windows but they are so s-l-o-w...realy slow and i no that the vs are faster

can you see any reason why it wouldnt fit and what do i look for to figure out if it will work, maybe to long.. any help would be good, im keen to change them over

BF, try scrubbing your window rubbers with warm soapy water, and spraying a lithium or silicon based grease on the regulator assemblies. Quite often the reason that they slow down is that the grease in and on the motor and assembly dries up, and a collection of dirt on the window rubbers and runners creates a lot of drag.

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

We used a light sprinkling of graphite powder on the tracks. This not only made the glass slide easier but made it easier to align.
VN-VS motors/regs in the Torry are neither noisey nor slow!

Herne

#11 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

Great topic guys! Have pinned it for all power window wanters!

#12 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

Is a VL Calais regulator the same as the vn-vs range? I've got a feeling they are but does anyone know for sure? I will try the set-up using them anyway as I have a set at home, wish me luck!!!

Dean

#13 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

this is a picture of the vl calais regs, next to the standard torana ones...

Posted Image

Does everyone agree they look almost identical to the vn-vs range???

Dean

Edited by cal-a-kid, 04 December 2006 - 09:55 AM.

#14 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:15 PM

Does anyone have large versions of these on Photobucket that I can link in the article please?

Grant..

#15 _RB26DETT_

_RB26DETT_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

i want to do this covertion in my sedan but what motors do i use in the rear doors

#16 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

i want to do this covertion in my sedan but what motors do i use in the rear doors

the rear out of vn to vs are the same am doing now will post when done am not 100% sure so dont count on it but looks like it so far

#17 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

this is a picture of the vl calais regs, next to the standard torana ones...

Posted Image

Does everyone agree they look almost identical to the vn-vs range???

Dean

Note the bend in the arms let me know how you go
sorry me bad just spoke to a friend vl is the same

Edited by j7723, 07 October 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#18 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Is there any chance of putting up a parts required ( shopping list) list when it's finished.

Mort

#19 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

Mort are you talking about a front leccy window?
If so the only parts you need will be an electric motor or a complete regulator with elect motor fitted (VN to VS) dont know about VL etc..
Then you need to make up a bump stop (see regulator photo's for the one I made) at the beginning of this thread. Bump stop can be made out of anything rubber - grommet type thing etc. All it has to do is stop the window going down too far.
And finally some wiring and switches of your choice. Its been some years since we did this job but from memory thats about it as far as a shopping list goes. Oh we did use graphite powder to help the window slide, probably not really necessary.
Rear windows I never bothered with but others here are.

Big Chris did a fine job putting my pics into a logical order :)

Hope that helps.

Herne

Edited by Herne, 10 October 2008 - 08:45 AM.

#20 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Can someone add that to the Tech Article!!

Grant..

#21 _row_

_row_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Herne,

I know you posted this a while ago, but I've just got the power windows in the front! They are awsum!! but, I'm wonering if you got the rear windows to be electric as well... I bought a complete set off ebay, with front and rear regs, computer and wiring with centeral locking as well. The regs in the back are a similar set up to the front, with the teeth, but the newer ones out of the VS use cable... instead of the old reg, with the short channel under the glass, the new one uses a channel of its own which runs the whole way across the bottom of the glass. I cannot, and my mate also, figure out how this newer reg works, as the little mec that runs along the channel only runs from side to side, and not up... Its really confusing, and I really have no idea how the glass is meant to rise and fall useing this... I would really like power windows in the rear windows of the LH, so any help would be muchly appreciated!!

Row

#22 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

Herne,

I know you posted this a while ago, but I've just got the power windows in the front! They are awsum!! but, I'm wonering if you got the rear windows to be electric as well... I bought a complete set off ebay, with front and rear regs, computer and wiring with centeral locking as well. The regs in the back are a similar set up to the front, with the teeth, but the newer ones out of the VS use cable... instead of the old reg, with the short channel under the glass, the new one uses a channel of its own which runs the whole way across the bottom of the glass. I cannot, and my mate also, figure out how this newer reg works, as the little mec that runs along the channel only runs from side to side, and not up... Its really confusing, and I really have no idea how the glass is meant to rise and fall useing this... I would really like power windows in the rear windows of the LH, so any help would be muchly appreciated!!

Row

Nope I didnt want them in the back and thus never researched it.
But someone has and there is a thread on it here somewhere in our archives.

Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users