roll cage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

hi am just wondering 

can you put a half or full roll cage in torana hatch and still get road registered or does it have to be club regoed ? regards michelle

#2 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

Hi Michelle

Since you live in the Nanny State, you can fit a 1/2 cage without too many issues.

It needs to be engineered, with rear seats made redundant at a minimum - and main hoop at XYZ from rearmost position of seat. It has been a while since I have done one.

You (technically) shouldn't get a full cage even on club rego - as you need to blue slip your car, which is akin to a new registration.....

However, some clubs tend to be a bit blinkered when it comes to some of these things, as it is often described as 'period correct'

As with motorcycles of dubious registrability - it is often a gateway to full rego with mods no longer allowed.

My advice - check with some clubs first to see what they will allow - and transfer to full rego later if desired.

#3 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

OR

like me

register it in QLD

(with full engineering)  :-)

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

There's nothing wrong with having a roll cage as such, so long as its fitment is engineer approved, but the problem is with the "Head Space" requirements as set out in NCOP7 as I'd reckon the rear seats in a standard Torana Hatch would be lucky to pass this test without a roll cage...

NCOP7_Section_LK_Seating_and_Occupant_Pr

NCOP7_Section_LK_Seating_and_Occupant_Pr

The document then goes on for another six pages about roll cage fitment, if you want to read it you can download it here...

https://infrastructu...1Jan2011_v2.pdf

...starting on page 39/LK76

BTW, roll cages and drop tanks were really good "cop-bait" back in the day, mainly because so many were fitted without engineering and it was an easy defect.

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

P.S. Just out of interest, I just measured myself (no puns please) in the seated position (in an office chair but you get the idea) and with one end of a tape in my crotch I measure near-enough to 1000mm to the top of my head, so their 835mm radius actually seems quite conservative.

Put it this way, if I sat in a car with 'just legal' head space I'd very likely come away with some new bumps on the old noggin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users