#26 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

Is there an easy way to disable the airbags on the Tritons? My neighbour has one that is only licenced so he can drive it the few kilometers between his blocks which are 50 kays from the nearest town.

^Pull the fuse...

I had a 2005 Triton that showed an SRS air bag fault. When I went to check the fuses I could not find one solely for the air bag. After must research I found the reverse light fuse was linked to the SRS.

The air bag recall started a couple of years ago as "urgent" but many people have not responded to recall letters or cars have been sold and manufacturers dont have current addresses of new owners so the situation has been upgraded to "critical" hoping to get the right response.

The Tritons on the current list I believe have the 4 spoke steering wheel but the 3 spoke wheel is not effected.

#27 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

Just take it in. I've got an MY09 Triton (3 spoke wheel) and had it checked a couple of years ago. Nearest dealer is 120ks. They'll give you a car and it only takes them a couple of hours in the country.

I took my mum's Corolla in for her a few years ago in Sydney, what a nightmare. Dozens of other vehicles, no courtesy car and took almost all day.

#28 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

My wife now has a 2011 Triton with the 3 spoke wheel and is not effected. Have done the VIN and Rego check and it is not listed for recall. Vehicle has always been serviced by the same Mitsubishi dealer.

If unsure.....do your own check with the dealer.

#29 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

The wifes shopping trolley (Toyota Corolla) is involved in this, we had a dodgy one replaced by another dodgy one at first recall, just got the letter for second recall and going in next week. Bit annoying, but the reality is there are a gazillion cars world wide that were fitted with these dud devices, Takata management made the call to make more money. Like most things that turn to shit the root cause is the greed of big companies, the car makers screwing the suppliers and in this case Takata supplied under spec devices to try and make more money. Criminal charges and bankruptcies have and will result from all this, in the meantime the car manufacturers are copping it on the chin and rectifying as best they can given the numbers involved and the build capacity of other more ( hopefully) ethical airbag makers. 

Edited by caterham2, 08 October 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#30 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

07 Impreza in the family from new and had the replacement twice with minimal drama. I’ve always found Jarvis Subaru Adelaide good to deal with and they are walking distance to my work. Replacement was seamless each time and the car was washed as well. They told me after the first replacement that it was temporary and would have to be done again. All I could think was how can they make money building cars if they have to manage multiple recalls like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#31 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, for sure. But it is a 150 kays to the nearest dealer. Will Mitsubishi pay for the lost day?

I’m sure they said to not drive it and the dealer would pay to have it towed. Worth a try anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users