Hk186p

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Rob.
  • Car:None

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

I have a Hk 307 chev sedan that I have converted from a 6 to an 8 what i need to know is on the ignition switch do I put the coil wire on ign1 or ign2 or do I just wire it up to both connections and yes I have read many times I can use the existing wires but I don't wish to as they are burnt out and 1 is a resistance wire as my Big Cap Hei distributor only needs a direct feed?? Also I would like to run a new solenoid wire to the neutral safety switch and starter solenoid what I would Like to know here is would a relay between the neutral switch and starter solenoid be a good idea as I have read that the ignition switch can be damaged by current going the other way hope you guys can help thank you.

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

Run your new ignition supply wire from both terminals 1 & 2, directly to the distributor. In other words, loop 1 to 2 & then on to the dissy. Don't use the connections at the junction block in the centre of the firewall.

Same with the solenoid supply. Run a new wire from the SOL terminal of the ignition switch to the inhibitor switch & then straight to the starter. If you use 4mm cable & a minimum number of joints, you won't need a relay.

I would also tidy up all the existing wiring at the firewall junction block & eliminate the terminals themselves & run wires thru the holes in the plastic block. This is especially true for the thick red 12V supply wire from the starter to the dash.

This junction block was probably the most unreliable electrical item ever on any Holden series, before or since. I was in the trade at the time & I've lost count of the number of HK/T/Gs that I've seem towed in, due to bad electrical connections at this junction block.

Dr Terry

#3 Hk186p

Hk186p

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Rob.
  • Car:None

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Dr Terry great advice,this is why I joined this forum good Knowledgeable people thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users