LJ Heater Box

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _John D_

_John D_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

Looking to improve / restore the external condition of my Heater box. What's the best way to do this and what product to use. Assume they were never painted but were a Fibre reinforced plastic. Looking for a clean original look and not overly restored.

#2 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:36 AM

Hi John,

I've haven't really touched mine,just maintained it,and make sure all heater controls all lubricated,and work well.
I wash the top box by hand,with hot water and soap, with a sponge,and dry it off with a old towel.I keep it the factory look.

Regards John.

#3 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

I have tidied couple up by cleaning / scouring the surface with steel wool then painting with clear polyester resin.

this will seal up the surface give it gloss and cover the fibres.

the housings are made of fibre glass and the surface breaks down and crumbles away as dust,

no gelcoat by the look of it

I have also repaired them by fibreglassing

#4 _John D_

_John D_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys. Don't want to paint but keep an original look and protect from deterioration. After cleaning may do a trial with a clear coat.

Cheers

John D

#5 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

If you do decide to use a clear coat, you can add flattening base, so it's not super glossy, i reckon a low gloss finish would look authentic, you need to find 1 that can be used over fibreglass, but there is a lot of development in paint finishes that do them sorts of things nowadays. I have clear adhesion promoter i will check if it will go over fibreglass & then you can decide if you want to use acrylic or a 2 pack with flattening base added for the finish if you like. Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users