lx torana slr5000 replica

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _LXTOR_

_LXTOR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

hi 

I got a 1976 lx torana six, auto and looking to convert it to an eight with a turbo 400 box.

What engine r(ed or blue) should I use I would like to keep it period correct. will it slot into the sixes engine mount position?

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

308 red block with turbo 400 no probs plenty have done this conversion

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:56 PM

First post, welcome to the forum Nick!

The engine mounts on the car side (k-member) are the same between six and eight cylinders, obviously the mounts themselves as bolted to the engines are different, in fact the Torana V8 mounts are different to the bigger Holden V8 mounts, it's not a big difference but when trying to fit extractors made for one to a car fitted with the other it can make life difficult.

If not going too radical with the engine, as in not supercharging, or turbocharging, or nitrous(ing) then you may be better off using a well built Trimatic rather than a TH400, it will certainly fit in the Torana trans tunnel a lot easier and you don't have to worry about a custom cross member, or speedo cable, or shifter, or tailshaft etc., providing you have a Trimatic bolt pattern block of course.

I assume you know about the two different bellhousing bolt patterns with 308 blocks?

#4 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

If not going too radical with the engine, as in not supercharging, or turbocharging, or nitrous(ing) then you may be better off using a well built Trimatic rather than a TH400, it will certainly fit in the Torana trans tunnel a lot easier and you don't have to worry about a custom cross member, or speedo cable, or shifter, or tailshaft etc., providing you have a Trimatic bolt pattern block of course.

Trimatics were considered junk, they were always breaking and not many bothered to rebuild them, easier to just drop in a TH350.

It comes down to the person who builds it. When stock, they're not as good as a TH350 but I hear these days you can rebuild and strengthen a Trimatic to a point where there's no significant difference, it's the heat that kills them, not to say you can't also cook a TH350.

Both TH350 and TH400 are good boxes but they rob a lot of power from the engine, they add extra weight to your car so if it's not warranted, save your money or go a TH350 if you're worried a Trimatic won't be good enough.

http://www.gmh-toran...th350-or-th700/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 28 August 2017 - 10:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users