Fuel coming out Carbon Can = help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

Gday guys ...ive not been on here in some time!, having a bad problem with the S.L.R today ( 308 red)  I was driving about town then went to my brothers , we are chatting away and I then see something leaking out the front of the torana,I initially thought it was Coolant . I go have a look and its fuel pissing out!!?, I pop the bonnet and whoooaaa  theres fuel pissing out my Carbon Canister , its NEVER done this before .

I can only assume the Needle and seat is jammed?, ive not taken it apart yet?, it scared the shit out of me and could have been disaster , I limped it home and have parked her up till I sort this out!, Im still puzzled though as to why soooo much was being pushed out!,it was streaming out by the time I got to my driveway . I don't want this happening again but unsure how to proceed after cleaning it out

#2 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

Fuel tank vent blocked?

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Yep, Im gonna put my money on the fuel tank vent being blocked as well. 

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

Yep, Im gonna put my money on the fuel tank vent being blocked as well. 

I'm not. :)

#5 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

Ill have to do more investigating....Its never done this prior and ive not changed ANYTHING on the car in a long time , Im still astonished how much spilled out!!

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

I had this with my 308 many years ago, hot engine & pipes ect in summer very scary, it was a fault with the carburetor, i had a replacement & once fitted never happened again. I'm guessing it's the carb. Gary

#7 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

I had this on a lx years ago only did it once, I put it down to being parked faceing down hill (hill was steep) never did it again.

#8 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

Ive taken  the Rochester off the car and planning to get an Edelbrock 525cfm  ( BUT) I don't know if it will fit??....see , with the Performer manifold and even a recessed 2" Air cleaner I have only about 10mm clearance to the Ribs on the Bonnet!?. I can only assume the Performer Manifold sits higher than the Stock Manifold does??. So will a Holley bolt straight onto the Performer Manifold?, from memory they don't and require an Adaptor plate , is this is the case then it wont clear my Bonnet!. but ive really had enough of Rochesters now  ..HELP

Edited by 76S.L.R, 15 September 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#9 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:20 PM

I put a edelbrock 600 cfm or similar size on my 308 in my lx & yes i had the edelbrock performer manifold, the carb was a square bore & manifold was a spread bore by memory & bolted straight on no issues, my brother made a 1" circular spacer to sit on the top of the carb & we then ran an extreme low line air cleaner & a 3" K&n element or 2.75" x 14" diameter & it cleared the bottom of the bonnet & linkages perfectly. I'm sorry i don't have any photos, edelbrock carbs were fairly new at the time so it's a fair amount of time ago. It was actually a holley i had the dramas with, the edelbrock was a lot better then. I think the Rochester isn't a bad carby. Gary.

#10 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

I've got an Edelbrock carby on a 350 and it has been faultless. It starts and runs like an injected one. Pretty sure it is shorter (lower) than a Holley too.

#11 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

Ive taken  the Rochester off the car and planning to get an Edelbrock 525cfm  ( BUT) I don't know if it will fit??....see , with the Performer manifold and even a recessed 2" Air cleaner I have only about 10mm clearance to the Ribs on the Bonnet!?. I can only assume the Performer Manifold sits higher than the Stock Manifold does??. So will a Holley bolt straight onto the Performer Manifold?, from memory they don't and require an Adaptor plate , is this is the case then it wont clear my Bonnet!. but ive really had enough of Rochesters now  ..HELP

Space shouldn't be a problem.

This is mine.
HQ engine mounts.
VN style heads
COME single plane intake manifold
750 Holley
Drop base air cleaner housing with 3" high filter element.

Plenty of space!

Attached File  IMG_9093.PNG   52.99K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9095.PNG   67.28K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9096.PNG   71.17K   3 downloads

#12 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the pics mate!, some reason mine has frOck all clearance!?, I'll double check it  again though

#13 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

I went to A1 performance here in W.A today asking about the  " 500 cfm Edelbrock  carby " ( model 1403) but they told me no one buys them anymore, more of a  pain to work on and require parts that are not readily avail locally .

From what I can see ,I am indeed going to have to run the Adaptor plate and just hope it all clears my bonnet, Now looking at Holley carbs but unsure what to buy? I cant afford to  buy the wrong one , they had 600 cfm vac sec carbys at $550 but held off until I know it will be suitable for my car which is as follows

308 red .

Edelbrock  performer Manifold.

Mild cam .

Turbo 350 box .

Big Valve  heads .

Stainless extractors .

Elec Dizzy .

if anyone can offer any advice on what size carby would best suit , id be very gratefull

#14 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Yep,  A properly sorted Q-Jet.   turn well they work pretty good.

Just need a good fuel supply so the bowl doesn't run dry

#15 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

I 2nd the Q-Jet.

#16 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

just bought a new air cleaner for my LH with 308 and 650 holley  (a Edelbrock pro flow 1207 14x3''  )

noticed when buying theres a couple of different heights for the drop base air cleaners

on the Edelbrock site they list a taller air cleaner for a q-jet and Edelbrock carby , which may give you problems with bonnet clearance

i have a q-jet on my other car and can test fit the shorter air cleaner if you need

http://www.edelbrock...cc-proflo.shtml

#17 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:41 PM

Ok I bought a 600 vac sec holley today and the adaptor plate top mount it .... but that plate ( redline) is 20mm thick and reckons I might have clearance issues? , just to be sure id rather run an adaptor plate that's 10mm or so instead but from looking online looks like they don't make them thinner than 20mm like the one I have!?

Edited by 76S.L.R, 22 September 2017 - 10:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users