Steering column issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hello all,

Ages ago I replaced my column shift auto transmission with a manual floor shift gearbox, and I am now in the process of trying to install the steering column blank (and obviously remove the old auto column gear shift mechanism). It is all pretty well off, however the old automatic section of the steering column is hitting hard against the black sleeve (outer-sleeve?), therefore not letting me slide everything up and off the steering shaft. Could someone please help me out! Thank you :)

Attached Files

Edited by bangbang, 15 September 2017 - 10:28 PM.

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

You will need to withdraw the indicator wiring harness completely from the column.

Have you removed the selector lever at the bottom end of the column?

#3 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Thank you S pack! The wiring harness has been disconnected, and is starting to slide up the column nicely. I can't recall removing the selector lever at the bottom - perhaps that's what it going on!

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

I'm figuring the selector lever still attached to the bottom of the gear change tube would prevent the gear change tube turning thus preventing the shift lever pot turning sufficiently to allow it to be withdrawn from the steering column jacket.

Also, have you removed the reverse light switch from the steering column? 

Edited by S pack, 15 September 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#5 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

You beauty mate.. the problem ended up being that I had not removed the cover from the engine bay end of the old auto transmission linkages! Thanks again for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users