157 replies to this topic

#26 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,812 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

6-8 months is a pretty good turn around time.

My other car was at one shop for 12 months. I got it back and the paint was shit house. Waited another 12 months due to a small claims court process. Got half my money back. Then spent another 12 months at a 2nd shop. This dragged out over a 4 year period in the end. But it gave me the chance to put all the other parts of the car together. Engine/box/suspension, so when it finally came home the installation process went quite quick.

#27 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thanks guy's for your kind words :). My biggest issue was when I purchased the motor and box as a package , it came with the T10. I thought it was cool to have a T10. Many years ago it was at the shop when I was informed they were going to cut the tunnel. I didn't want the tunnel cut and didn't want the M24 I think is was. So project stalled for another 7 years while I researched my options. I had the money to finish the car and decided to get the tunnel cut. Phoned my mechanic and booked in the car. Over time there were items now available that were not available then, so there were other changes as well. Waited 8 months before mechanic could take the car. That was at the end of April 28th 2016. I should have purchased the Aussie 4 speed 7years ago. I have no control over how long it takes and was informed this before booking it in. I just thought a year would see it garaged at home. I have full trust in my mechanic and respect his knowledge as many others do. That's why he is so busy :( .

#28 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Saw this Ray when you first posted and i started writing then didn't post 

I sat and looked and planned at mine for round the 10 odd years till i finally had a place to put it back together sorted 

Stripped the car and trailered it 1600ks to the south west WA  - bought another for spares - then bought another for spares - then bought a UC cause it was cheap

8 months in panel and paint and finished a build on a house which had the room and finally got it back up the 1600ks to home

That was 5 years ago 

I live in bumfguck as far as restoring cars goes and i would say 1/4 roughly on the cost so far would have been freight

I may as well live on the moon as far as getting stuff as the spares car(s) are down south and no sooner do you think you have it all,Then you find you dont

You order something and there is a week gone - you send something away for zincing or whatever kiss two weeks goodbye

Have stopped -  started and not gone in the shed for a couple of weeks at a time. Gone in with all good intentions and after whatever didn't fit or i needed such and such came out 3/4 pissed because i had just had enough of not getting anywhere 

Have gone in there and just got smashed sitting and looking at the bloody thing that will not go away

Still at it and the light is at the end of the tunnel and finding that the last 10 to fifteen percent of a build in bumfguck is still trying my patience and damn near the hardest

The fiddely shit 

Stick with it and it will happen 

I have found support here and also made a few friends along the way

#29 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:00 PM

I share everyone's pain and frustration
Cheers DazM

#30 evl666

evl666

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Car:71 LC 73 LJ

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

My rage is at its peak.....I have everything and I mean EVERYTHING restored/replaced/ reconditioned/ refreshed for my Lc gtr just sitting in my shed collecting dust just waiting for the body to come back from my mate....... it's been 3 years and counting in his shed and it's still not in one piece. He does a excellent job and I'm paying him well but the progress is just drawn out. I even said if you can't complete it I'll take it off his hands and find someone else but he said he wants to finish it. The dead line just keeps moving and moving

Edited by evl666, 23 November 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#31 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Been stuck doing nothing on my sle for months now unable to find decent chassis shop to take the damn thing..keep getting 'give us a call next month...oh maybe feb/march' 

#32 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

Hey Guy's, sorry for no reply. Have been keeping the customers happy so they can give me some Torrie money. There are so many of us. I am not really sure what to say. I don't think we ever lose interest on these cars. Not having the funds is not losing interest. Adding solar/swimming pool/rainwater tanks or home improvements doesn't mean we have lost interest. There are more important things in life. Like you say Dave , best intensions then 1 step forward and two steps back. So you take it somewhere to get it gone right and there is a cost to get it there. Pay what they say, get it home and cross one more thing off the list. Now time to save up for another thing I cant do. evl666 sounds rough mate , like some people don't give a shit. Hasn't finished it yet after all that time and its about him finishing it and not about it being finished. You have all right to be pissed because if he said it would take more than three years you would have kept on walking. I was told there not quick but if I had know it would have taken this long I would not have sent my car there. How do we go recommending there work when your worried about the time it takes. Sometimes I get very pissed off . Good work or not (stop taking on other jobs) and give us our F%*#ing cars back.

#33 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

Hello Fellow Rages, Hope your projects are moving forward. I havnt raged for a while, got to a point I had to stop caring for my own sanity. So I spoke to the mechanic today, he said the car should be ready in two months. I don't fell excited to be honest. I will be happy its finished. So much time/hard work and money will come to a stop. I already plan to buy myself some new tops without oil stains when savings are available.

#34 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Lost all momentum on the sle waiting for work to be done so I can finish it off myself & put back on the road.

Have thought about selling than continue dealing with car industry types...

#35 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Explain "car industry types" and tell us what your industry is?

#36 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Some are wankers. Some aren't. Same as any industry.

#37 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Rodomo....started out as apprentice mechanigot qualified  then ended up in stevedore industry.

The 'car industry' types I meant are involved with custom work or parts for old holdens.

Must admit not a fan of car salesman after short stint in dealership.

#38 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

Cool, I just get a bit pissed off with stereotyping.

There is a member on here that is in the medical profession that thinks it's OK to bag all automotive trades in general.

Dealerships shit me to tears....................just quietly. 43 yrs as a mechanic, 20 or so jobs, less than 3 yrs in dealerships.

#39 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:22 AM

Hello Again Fellow Rages, Hope your projects are moving forward :). Well still no phone call with them words we all just love to hear ITS READY. I havnt been up to see her for a while. In some parts I feel bad, like its my turn to finish. Knowing there are so many having trouble to move forward. Still don't think about the day I collect my past wrapped up in a metal case and a cloth filling. My quick clean up fifteen years ago. Feels a bit like catching up with an ex. Should go and have a look, it could be 2/3 weeks for completion :). Maybe ??

#40 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Hello Again to All angry Resto Rage Readers, I hope your projects have progressed :). So I still have not allowed myself to Rage. I have already conceded defeat with waiting. I am no longer that young man wondering is it ready yet. I didn't make any time to view the progress. I did have time to send a message for a progress report. I didn't receive the words Its Ready. I wasn't fussed, just expected. In two days time it will be 2 months since my mechanic advised approx. 2 months. Never realised til now I really hate the word Approx. Have two pics sent to me from the doc. He also said ( Wiring nearly complete) and Trimmer is cutting shit up.  My heart didn't skip a beat. Better things to do with my time. F$#k sake I just felt a little Rage.

Attached Files

#41 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

What colour is it Ray?

#42 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

Hey Laurie, back in the time I had a Indian peace smoking chamber dark green in colour. The colour grew on me :). Bit hard to explain to the painter. For memory the body was galvanised then a black base followed by some translucent pearl green. Looks very murky in the mornings

#43 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

Hang in there Ray.  I'm sure the end result will be worth it, although I understand where you are coming from not being that young man.  My missus said the other day, no need to hurry it.  Mr response, I want to be physically able to drive it when it's finish, and remember how to drive LOL.  Cheers Ron

#44 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Cook, There the words that we live with every day. The truest words for any long term project. There is always going to be hurdles, some higher than others. In the whole time I have had this car I could have taken the easy out. A pocket full of cash and a fridge full of cold beer, no bills for the next few months. Sounds better than save/wait/save/wait/approx./wait/save/its not ready/save. You need to hang in there, this is a test to how much you want this and resist the easy way out(cold beer and lots). One day you can say. That's my Torrie and its not for sale

#45 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Exactly right Ray.  Here's something funny for you.  I learned something yesterday.  Sad thing is that I learned I am no good at bending brake lines. LOL.  

#46 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

Hello to All Resto Rage Readers, Having a good day. Not an ounce of Rage :). Hey Cook, that's a very important part. Not one of those things you can go (should be ok). Im sure everyone had the same problem Cook but now you know your a bit closer to completion. I always youtube work required on cars for handy tips. Do you have to put sand in the lines before bending ?. Sure you will get it right soon :). I did ask the question the other day to my mechanic. I woke up forgot to take my chill pill and sent a message (is it ready yet) and cant remember the rest of the message. My mechanic is a Top Bloke with great skills :). By the time I had opened his reply my phone rang :). He advised he understood my frustration and asked me if I had bipolar. I know there are Mechanics on this forum. I wonder if you can advise some information for me. What is the conversion rate for Mechanical months to Human months. This answer might just well help all of us resto ragers to plan our builds. Rainman

#47 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

Hey Members, having a bad 1/2 hour. Rage just walked in, but I just opened the back door and that didn't work. Cant understand why they would have X amount of cars. Not sure if other cars have been in and out or extent of work required. Lets assume they all have the same issue as myself. So why take on so much and piss everybody off ?? Take on less and the owner is happy ?? Even though I am very happy with the work, how do you go recommending them ?? My mind tells me this car is not going back once I get it.  Hope all of the fellow ragers are moving forward. I suppose some can walk out into there shed and see there car, whether that's better than not being reminded I am not sure. Starting to feel a bit better. There should be a help line for long term builds. Suggest if your feeling the Rage to let some out, any way that makes you feel better.    Rainman

#48 lh 4dr

lh 4dr

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Name:dave
  • Car:lh sedan

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Hi, just read through and the first post brought back some memories, not great ones haha. Having just finished my project lh after an approx 8 yr quick tidy up and put a V8 in it. (well not sure they are ever completely finished) but it's now a pretty good cruiser. There were many rage/sell it moments, but I found the worst of it was the last 6 months of the project. Having gone from doing my own rust repairs, getting a brand new motor,trans and diff built replacing every bush and wiring up the car it looked like a finished car but it was all the little finishing things that did my head in. The cost and time involved just never seamed to end even though it looked like a complete car, it was crazy. By this stage even the most minor thing not going right sent me into rage stage as I had spent so much cash and time on it.(giving me a bit of a laugh now thinking about it). For me I guess it was saving up the money was the worst part as having a young family the car came last. I defiantly won't be doing it again and if I ever sell it and can't afford to just buy one I won't be building another, having said that I am pretty happy now and the car is the way I wanted it, so was it worth it, I guess yes because I got something I couldnt afford to buy, but managed to build over time. :) just keep on raging it won't go on forever. Cheers

#49 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

Just take it one rage at a time ,oops I mean stage.

#50 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

Cheers dave, I hope to look back and laugh. For many years the car has been last and there was no money left and I was ok with that as this was non essential. Most people building there cars would fall under the same banner. Its so hard to save any money and live a decent life style. My family will always be first priority as most of us. Over years it would have to have some effect on our mental health. That's why we RAGE and require a RAGE to calm down (Paul). Thinking about my car a lot. Reading your post made me smile dave. Driving my WB ute regular and fixing regular takes my mind off it for a while. I feel for others who have prioritised and projects are slow or stopped but the petrol in there veins screams for the first drive in there Restored project.  I will rage til they give me my car back and I take that ride home. If there is anyone else that is struggling with excessive petrol build up and needs to Rage. This topic is for all. Tell that body shop to hurry up. the mechanic to stop picking up the phone or even the boss to pay you more. Even tell the kids to hurry up and move out because your about to RAGE.    Rainman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restoration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users