Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

Hello Again Resto Rage Readers, Hope your projects are moving forward :). Think the silver in my hair is progressing faster than my car. Going to need bifocal dash cluster fitted soon. I was going to visit the car on Saturday but the ford shit a hose on way home from work. Didn't even lift the bonnet, just got a mate to tow it home. Sunday I wake up knowing another week without my car and nothing I can do will make this ordeal fast forward. I wonder if I even own this car. I wonder if they want to keep it in there workshop like a poster. My mechanic informs myself the car has had some very short starts as they work on oil pressure and brakes. Mentioned he thinks it will be at the test drive stage this week. Then off for wheel alignment. Small shifter mod and carby tune. Give the car a shake down as well as a spanner check on driveline after use for safety reasons. I am sure this will turn up some small issues that will require attention. Once all done, look on the board for the clients number. Pick up the phone and finally tell me. Its Ready    Hope I don't go into some medical type arrest. I wonder if at that moment he mentions them two words, my sanity comes flooding back and my headache dissipates and restores my vision. Rainman

#52 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

Hello Again Resto Rage Readers, Hope your projects are moving forward :). Think the silver in my hair is progressing faster than my car. Going to need bifocal dash cluster fitted soon. I was going to visit the car on Saturday but the ford shit a hose on way home from work. Didn't even lift the bonnet, just got a mate to tow it home. Sunday I wake up knowing another week without my car and nothing I can do will make this ordeal fast forward. I wonder if I even own this car. I wonder if they want to keep it in there workshop like a poster. My mechanic informs myself the car has had some very short starts as they work on oil pressure and brakes. Mentioned he thinks it will be at the test drive stage this week. Then off for wheel alignment. Small shifter mod and carby tune. Give the car a shake down as well as a spanner check on driveline after use for safety reasons. I am sure this will turn up some small issues that will require attention. Once all done, look on the board for the clients number. Pick up the phone and finally tell me. Its Ready    Hope I don't go into some medical type arrest. I wonder if at that moment he mentions them two words, my sanity comes flooding back and my headache dissipates and restores my vision. Rainman

G'Day Rainman,

Sounds like you are getting quite close now, which was the time that was the most frustrating for me...waiting for the last few parts that never seemed to arrive on time and public holidays that fall just when you want the Post Office to be open to collect the parts...

My hatch has gone back to the restoration shop for the last few touch-ups so that it's ready for a couple of shows coming up soon.

Even when "it's ready" it's never really finished ;)

Cheers,

Liz :)

#53 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Liz, let me know when I comes to Radelaide, will be sure to view your beautiful SS. I was thinking about my car today and my mechanic mentioning he should be able to test drive her this week. I had one more customer to see and a ute 3/4 full of there orders to drop off. Its 3pm and only 30min from mechanics. Do the right think and hope tomorrow leaves some time to view. I know I am working again on Saturday and risk another week. Shit my work should take priority over my personal life. But I havnt heard this car breath for fifteen years. I just tried to upload the video of my car but it wouldn't work. Its made me feel a bit different, not so anxious. Maybe two weeks (not sure) but tonight I will enjoy this feeling and sleep with an internal grin.     Rainman

#54 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Liz, let me know when I comes to Radelaide,

Actually, I am about to book my travel for this year's Adelaide Motorsport Festival, although I will be flying not driving...as I think it is just a bit too far for me to drive the SS plus I am thinking of going over to WA for a quick visit as well :)

15 years is such a long time without a running car, I can't imagine how it feels to be so damn close. Two weeks will fly by in comparison :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics, shame I can't help with the video upload..I assumed it was the same as photos

Cheers,

Liz :)

#55 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Hey Liz, I have a short video of the car running. Doesn't sound that good atm as the motor was built about 10 years ago. Still some work to be done before they run in the cam. Rainman

#56 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

So fellow Resto Rages, I am guessing the car should be home in two weeks :). I had a chance to listen to the Torrie start last week. It felt unreal to say the least.

Have some very secure space to park her in, but my monitor shit itself and will buy something a little better this time. My mechanic has already started fitting anti theft devices :).

Thought I better start preparing but the misses will only allow gel ball toys on the property.

That sux, any load noises will stir up the horses and neighbours. Any suggestions ?

Attached Files

#57 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

Hello my fellow Resto Ragers, Its been a while since I have updated the progress to my project. Because it a slow drawn out Frocken joke. My car must be a fill in job between jobs. This has angered me day by day. Always the same old shit. Not going to rush it at the end are the words I get told when I ask is it ready yet. We require more staff and its hard to find the right people. Lots of interstate work coming in but your car is a priority. Lucky work is so busy, it helps keep my mind off this drawn out situation I find myself living day by day. I never dreamed this would take so long, but I get reminded every day. I have tried different approaches but nothing changes. No car, No car, Still no Frocken car. Days/Weeks/Months/Years and still no Frocken Car. What do I do next ? Just wait and watch the world go by. Events come and go. Nice days and progress surrounds me but I am not a part of it. Customer satisfaction is dead. Anger is alive and well and if I thought advising this shop how I feel would make a difference then I would, but I have already tried this approach. It didn't work the first time. Was informed to take car back there once I have done x amount of Kays. Sure ??, Be frocked I will. Six month oil change. yeah right. Get Fuc#ed. Your not getting this car again, Your not getting any of my vehicles Ever again. Frock youse

#58 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hello Resto Rage Readers,

Its finally happened, I have received the phone call I have been waiting for :), 15 years of cruel waiting. Time and Money will not be your friend in any Resto. If you don't have Time and Money then you must expect mental frustration. There are a lot of people out there taking both of these, and in the end it will cost you more time and money. I am very lucky to have kept this to a minimum (excludes time). You Must do your homework and even then expect this will still happen. Keeping this to a minimum will reflect the effort you put into your homework. So my collection date is the 27/10/2018. I look forward to catching up with the GMH club of South Australia. Most of all, will be the bonding time with my daughter (the next owner). She has petrol in her veins and a loving and beautiful mind. I will post some pics for any readers that want to see and end result. Till then, I wish you all the luck in the world with your projects. Time and Money. Rainman

#59 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

Congratulations Ray. I hope it is everything that you are expecting. Can't wait to see some pics. 

#60 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

I dont understand what is happening? Are you buying another project? Or selling the one you have? 

#61 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Laurie :), Hey Brad, no I am getting my car back. Sent it to be completed in May 2016. Think it was a side job and there very busy. I havnt driven it since 2002 as a six. There was a lot of work to complete. I had a full interior done years ago and the centre material was not available back then so had them do all the seats / tunnel mod / marks and a dent from storage / Plenium repair / motor painted / under carriage painted ect.

#62 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

Even when your doing the right thing it can still cost you Time and Money. Long term Resto . Things change over that time. You can take your car to a shop . Then take it to another shop, Then they will point out the quality of workmen ship. It looked good until someone who knows how it should be done advises faults. There is so much to be done. Finding the best person for the job the first time. I have kept this to a minimum and don't have to much nos products in the shed. Homework doesn't always mean you will find the right person for that part of work. The guy might be great at his job, doesn't mean he knows Toranas. There are a few things I don't like and will change them in the near future.

#63 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

I tend to find that when you contract out any work to anyone other than yourself, your likely to have problems. 

#64 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

I wanted to keep as much of the original car possible. Having parts restored makes it very hard . Do you also restore where possible ? say bumpers ? What about interior work ? would you buy pull over or stitch them yourself ?

#65 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

I try to do as much work myself as I can, but when there is a need to get a professional company involved, it always ends up in dramas. It cannot be avoided. It is inherent with dealing with automotive related business's.  

#66 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

Hello Again, Resto Ragers, Today I received another call from my mechanic, He place the trader plates on and left his premises. He mentioned the car felt great and made no bad sounds. Still some trim to be finished and the next thirty days will be reliability checks. At the time I still wasn't excited. Then jumped on the forum again and noticed my heart was beating a bit faster than normal. Having a little trouble thinking about todays events. Not really sure. But I think late October just might be one to remember. Stick at resto sufferers. There has to be a date with your name on it. Don't sit on your hands to long, chase the date and finish the pain.   Rainman

#67 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:06 PM

Oh is someone else building the entire car for you?

#68 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

Not entire Brad, just the parts I couldn't do.

#69 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

30 days for reliability checks?????????????????????????????????????????

#70 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Its been 15 years and was a six, I have had motor a box sitting for 10 years. They only work at this shop Thur/Fri/Sat so not a lot of time. It sounds long but I understand them wanting to make sure the cars sound. There also will be some pain correction if I give them the go ahead.

#71 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:29 AM

Seven Day, would I do it all again ? No way. Have I enjoyed it ? No. I stand by my words from the start (get out early). Maybe things change, maybe I am not the car enthusiast I thought I was. After fifteen years what are my plans. I have no plans. My first drive will be home. Second drive is take my daughter to school. Third drive pick her up from school. That's it. After fifteen years that's all my imagination can ponder. My business is picking up and my customers are asking me to take the next step. I have had two offers in the last month to start a hire business. I have for years played down my business as I started this so I could spend more time with my daughter. She is nearly Ten, and loves spending time with her friends. ATM my thoughts are only about my customers requirements. The offers made to myself recently leaves to space to think about the Torrie. If anyone was wondering, my business is Material Handling. To all you poor Bas$2rds out there getting nowhere with your steel bumper projects. Take the weekend off and enjoy it with the family.

#72 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:07 AM

Ray

Business wise, getting bigger isnt always better.

However.

A lot of people in business have a problem with their egos.

The biggest mistake is they employ people who are basically dumber than they are.

They want to remain the smartest person in the group.

You need to employ people, especially in the running of the business, who are smarter than you.

That way, they can bring new and better ways of doing things into the organisation.

And you can learn from them as you go along.

Then you need to make sure that no one is irreplaceable.

Have people learn at least the basics of others jobs.

That way, if they call in sick, someone else can look after their duties reasonably.

Also tends to keep them on their toes a bit.

Make sure you pay them well for the job they do.

If you dont, they tend to find ways of making extra for themselves, often at your expense.

Staff that feel appreciated will go the extra mile for you.

I had a supervisor on a job once, who made sure that every day at knock off time he was there.

Often he was caught up in meetings and stuff during the day and we didnt see much of him.

Every day at knock off time, he thanked the crew for their work that day.

When it came time that he needed someone to work back, or do something out of the ordinary, he had no trouble finding people to put their hands up.

He was replaced on our site by a bloke who hid in the shadows and was doing his best to be an arsewipe.

When it came time for one of the special jobs, no one would help him out.

I usually ended up doing the job after special negatiations that worked very well in my favour.

Happy employess make bosses lives easier.

Get the right people surrounding you, and you could end up with more spare time than you have now.

Get the wrong people, and your family and you will suffer.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take.

Cheers

Rob

#73 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:52 AM

Great advice Rob.
I need to send this to my boss.
But he might decide I am replaceable.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

#74 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

At 60 I'm out of work cos I'm smarter than anyone else on the planet.

#75 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

Great advice Rob.
I need to send this to my boss.
But he might decide I am replaceable.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

The other problem a lot of businesses have is their organisational flow chart.

They put the managers and supervisors etc at the top of the chart.

In reality it needs to be turned upside down.

The workers need to be on the top.

And it needs to be shaped like a tank.

The workers shovel in the money.

After all it is them that produce the income for the business.

All the other staff are pipes coming off the tank.

They drain the funds produced by the workers.

Very few of them have a link back to the top where they put money back into the tank.

At the bottom of the tank is the business owner.

He gets what is left of the money shovelled in by the workers.

When I was running my business, I made life as easy as I could for my workers.

The more time they had to produce billable hours, the more I had left at the bottom.

The trouble was finding workers that could think for themselves, and anticipate their needs a day or 2 in advance.

Nothing like having them standing around waiting for materials when they should have let me know the day before that we were running short.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restoration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users