#126 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Rob.  I'm looking at using an AGM type battery so, unless I've been misled, venting shouldn't be an issue.  Chewers Ron

#127 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Rob.  I'm looking at using an AGM type battery so, unless I've been misled, venting shouldn't be an issue.  Chewers Ron

My car is currently going through engineering and there is no venting required with a D34 Optima Yellow.

#128 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Dan.  I'm looking at an Odyssey battery but the same principal.  Cheers Ron

#129 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

Here's something to give you guys and gals a chuckle.  Spent most of yesterday making a bracket that will bolt up to the passenger side front bumper bracket, inside the front guard, that I can mount my air-con drier to.  Not pretty but no one will really see it.

Well woke up at the usual 2am this morning (when I do my best thinking lol) and the penny dropped that I might have a problem because the front mounted front sway bar bracket bolts up to the bumper brackets.  I think I can still mount both there but suspect I will have to start again with the drier bracket.  Didn't venture to the garage today for obvious reasons.  Mind you my focus at present is simply trying to get all those items that require wiring completed/in place so I can get the auto elec back to do the final (well hopefully) engine bay wiring and connected up to try and get the car to the tuner to christen the engine. Drier has a safety switch fitted so it needs to be wired up.  Wish me luck because the next little project (when I get this sorted) is to build an insert for the glovebox to mount my distributor control box in there.  Cheers Ron

Edited by Cook, 22 June 2020 - 07:12 PM.

#130 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,032 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

Keep chipping away Ron.

#131 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:50 AM

Hello my fellow resto ragers, have been having trouble with my car. I have isolated the area of trouble. It's from behind the front bumper to the inside of the back bumper. Frocken car, you really piss me off. I get angry thinking about this car, lemon shit box. Ray

#132 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:35 PM

If it’s that bad you should gift it to me.

#133 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:25 PM

Hey Rexy, I have already gifted the car, so just looking after it. You would be a very deserving custodian. Ray

#134 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:14 PM

So maybe I over reacted ? . Done a lobe on the cam, someone placed some shims under the valve springs and a blown head gasket. Gearbox sent in to repair the three gear four speed and the Natrad radiator needs a bit more weld on it to stop the factory leak. So inside the tailshaft. Front end should be fine as I just fixed that. Not to concerned about the leaks, no more driving in the rain. (try not to wash it). If anyone was wondering ? Yes I removed the motor and box out myself but might need mum to help put it back in. Rainman ? Dryman.

#135 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Cam lobes were a very common problem with the V8s.

It was particularly bad for cars that spent lots of time idling.

Not enough oil was getting to the rear lobes.

It was a problem with the race cars.

One of the teams, I think it might have been Ron Hodgson ground 10 thou flats on the lifters to improve oil supply.

What they lost in pressure they made up for in longevity and reliability.

Thats what the article said anyway.

Cheers

Rob

#136 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:02 AM

It's that time again.  Just got my car back from panel shop for what was initially a small rust repair. Decided to get the panel shop to fix all exterior parts at the same time as my son said, they are doing this every day so let them.  Happy with all that and when I got the car home arranged for the auto elec to sort our lights indicators etc.  Well the car now won't start (I think it's a fuel issue but how would I know).  Also showing off my new indicators and realised the fronts come on opposite to the backs and hi-beam not working (I swear it was).  Lastly I think I am going to have difficulty keeping it all under the bonnet without having to use a scoop which is really going to p&&s me off as I really don't like the look of them.  Anyway next week will be a challenge trying to make some progress.  Thanks for listening. Cheers Ron

#137 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,032 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:10 AM

Sounds like an earthing problem when that much stuff goes wrong in one hit. Has it got a strap from the motor to the body?

#138 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 12:58 PM

Yeah Laurie.  I'm not electrical minded by any means but there is a strap from the body but not to the motor.  It's been fitted up to the crossmember. The car was running before it went into the panel shop an my mechanic/dyno tuner was happy with it but it has been sitting around (not started) for 2+ months.   It does turn over. Cheers Ron

#139 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 04 July 2021 - 03:02 PM

Lend it to me for a month. 
I will have it running like a Swiss watch and rack up just enough miles to make sure it’s all good!

Edited by rexy, 04 July 2021 - 03:02 PM.

#140 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 03:16 PM

Nice try Rexy but I think I should be the first to run it in. Cheers Ron

#141 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:11 PM

For anyone interested.  Indicator wires are both blue but slightly different shades and auto. elec got them around the wrong way.  Hi-beam only works when the car its in on position (doh). Car now starts.  I was being a bit too cautious.  Needed to give a bit more pump action to get the fuel flowing.  Wipers worked once and now not working. I suspect it may be the switch as I have never had it checked and have had the motor reconditioned.  Added to the list.  I am getting the front end aligned etc next week so decided to chuck on the wheels. Bought these years ago to get the diff length sorted and now first time on in earnest.  Happy with the rear stance. Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#142 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:53 PM

Dark blue is right. Light blue is left.

#143 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:25 PM

Replace the fuse for the wipers.............it's not uncommon for the fuse to detach from the end caps. Looks good...........but not.

#144 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

Will give that a try Rob. Sorry you don't like the colour Brad but luckily I do and that's what counts. lol. Cheers Ron

#145 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,032 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:17 AM

Rims look good. It will be great to see it outside and finished.

#146 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

Dark blue is right. Light blue is left.

he is talking about the indicator wire colours Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#147 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

Oops I thought he was having a dig at my colour selection.  Trust me to put my foot in it. Apologies Brad. I am left handed so you have to excuse me because I do sometimes view things a bit differently lol.

Yes Laurie. Had it out briefly the other day just to make sure it was going to make to a few places it needs to go. Will try and get a pic or two when I can.  Cheers Ron

Edited by Cook, 25 July 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#148 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:38 PM

Hello my Resto Rage Friends, cars has been back together for a while. Its stronger and better than before, I suppose that's just what we do as car lovers. There are so many things that still need to get done, not as many as when I started lol. Have learnt a shipload in the past and get to keep this information for reference. A lot of hours and then some. So the car sits there ready to be driven. I feel like giving it a hard time, like it did with my cars when I was younger and then some (find the next weak point). Money and time followed by more time and money. Its there , its willing and waiting. But I am 50 now , so not on the streets. I will never forget the hard slog it took to get it to this point. Mind and money takes a hit, I feel for the many still not able to turn key. Still feeling the rage. I wish you good luck my friends, hope the road is a short one. I found, sometimes talking about it helps but I also discovered , time in the shed gets it moving forward. So, whats going on with your project ? Rainman

#149 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,032 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:32 AM

I feel like giving it a hard time, like it did with my cars when I was younger and then some (find the next weak point). Money and time followed by more time and money. Its there , its willing and waiting. But I am 50 now , so not on the streets.

Give it the berries man. Don't think 50 years makes you old!!!

#150 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:14 PM

You need to subscribe to one of my theories......

"If you're lucky, you get to grow old, but it's totally your choice if you want to grow up". Have fun with your car :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restoration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users