Torana LC XU1 GTR XU-1 Restoration

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here. 

First off my name is Zane and I own a 2001 Mitsubishi CE Lancer. Oh and how could I forget, I also have in hand an LC GTR XU-1.

Before you look below, I know it is in a horrible state, but it has been unloved since my dad stopped driving it 20 odd years ago. I will be out of school this year and plan to start working on it straight away! Schoolies sounds boring compared to trying to get a car to run and then fixing up the body!

Will love to here what you guys have to say and can't wait to get advice on restoring the old beast!!

Attached File  IMG_8313.jpg   194.74K   43 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1404.jpg   174.99K   18 downloadsAttached File  IMG_8314.jpg   180.23K   25 downloads  (Lancer in this pic isn't my one)Attached File  IMG_1405.jpg   327.92K   17 downloads

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

That's awesome Zane. Welcome to the madhouse.

Is that a metallic Purple on your Dad's XU1? I'm thinking the colour might be Amethyst Metallic?

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by S pack, 17 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#3 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

That's awesome Zane. Welcome to the madhouse.

Is that a metallic Purple on your Dad's XU1? I'm thinking the colour might be Amethyst Metallic?

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Dave! Yes this is Amethyst, it is a little hard to tell with all the fading and lighting

Edited by User_Driver, 17 September 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#4 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

This story sounds familiar 🤣🤣

#5 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Hi Dave! Yes this is Amethyst, it is a little hard to tell with all the fading and lighting

Amethyst is a great colour on lc xu1's "yum" this will be nice restored !

#6 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hi

Nice - Another CK has surfaced.

Cheers

Bazza

#7 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name:MrFX
  • Car:Fx

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

do the mechanicals and drive it as is...

#8 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

Spot on Bazza

Cheers gong

#9 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, Zane, that's a great looking barn find you got there!

If I can offer some advice, assuming everything is as original as it looks, make sure you keep it all together. What I mean is, rebuild everything that's on the car now, don't send anything in for "exchange" or accept offers to swap somebody for something.

Most things on the car are date coded and some are almost impossible to find / replace so make sure you really trust anyone you send stuff to as well, plenty of stories out there about rare cars coming back from mechanics or panel shops with parts swapped out.

Everything can be rebuilt rather than replaced, it might cost a little more initially but it's worth it to have a genuine "numbers matching" car at the end.

#10 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

do the mechanicals and drive it as is...

That is the plan!

Welcome to the forum, Zane, that's a great looking barn find you got there!

If I can offer some advice, assuming everything is as original as it looks, make sure you keep it all together. What I mean is, rebuild everything that's on the car now, don't send anything in for "exchange" or accept offers to swap somebody for something.

Most things on the car are date coded and some are almost impossible to find / replace so make sure you really trust anyone you send stuff to as well, plenty of stories out there about rare cars coming back from mechanics or panel shops with parts swapped out.

Yes thanks for that Andrew, I didn't really plan on sending it to anyone and neither did my dad because he didn't know who he could find to trust. Once I get the engine up and running I will start to slowly work on the body myself with the help of cousins who are mechanics, electricians and the like.

#11 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Holy hell just when you think there aren't any more around like that!

#12 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hi Zane, welcome aboard, great looking lc a true survivor ,
Enjoy the journey, wazza

#13 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

Amazed at the general condition. Please don't over restore this car. It and the family needs it to have the patina of a well loved and used family vehicle.

#14 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hi Zane, welcome aboard, great looking lc a true survivor ,
Enjoy the journey, wazza

Thanks Wazza I definitely will!

Amazed at the general condition. Please don't over restore this car. It and the family needs it to have the patina of a well loved and used family vehicle.

Will be restoring it as much as need be so I can get it roadworthy :)

#15 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name:MrFX
  • Car:Fx

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

and please put up lots more pics

#16 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

and please put up lots more pics

When I next get a chance to head down to the car and pull off the cover will be when I start listing what I will need for the motor + taking pics

#17 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

Hi Zane,welcome to the forum,when I bought my LJ Xu-1,28 years ago,was in the same condition,paint was a bit faded,rust in drivers door,and chrome on bars a bit worn,but all original,except it has a NP block.
Regards John.

#18 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Hi Zane,welcome to the forum,when I bought my LJ Xu-1,28 years ago,was in the same condition,paint was a bit faded,rust in drivers door,and chrome on bars a bit worn,but all original,except it has a NP block.
Regards John.

Well would love to here what you have done with your car in that time!

#19 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

Zane welcome to the forums. Word of advice. Don't trust anyone mate what your father has done over the years has been proven to be correct. I am certain it wouldn't need much to get rego. A true survivor. Leave as is. I was at Toranafest last Sunday I usually walk straight past the shiny stuff.....

#20 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

Zane welcome to the forums. Word of advice. Don't trust anyone mate what your father has done over the years has been proven to be correct. I am certain it wouldn't need much to get rego. A true survivor. Leave as is. I was at Toranafest last Sunday I usually walk straight past the shiny stuff.....

The only thing I am worried about is not being able to get a roadworthy because of all the rust around the pillars and windows??

#21 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

The only thing I am worried about is not being able to get a roadworthy because of all the rust around the pillars and windows??

Yes once you put some photos up people on here would be able to tell you whether it will pass or not.

#22 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

~ A true survivor. Leave as is. ~

While I see your point, I can't agree. Maybe if you were planning on parking it in a humidity-controlled museum and never driving it?

At the very least you absolutely need to stop any rust already there from progressing, and also stop any new spots from starting, especially as this car lives outside.

From what I can see from the photos above there are actual rust holes in the A and C pillars that shouldn't pass rego as they are structural areas. If water has been getting in I can well imagine the rear quarters, boot floor, plenum and front foot wells would need work as well?

It really depends what you want from the car, if you're just looking to preserve it then do as little as possible, but then what are you preserving it for?

If you actually want to drive it as God intended, do you really want to be driving around in a rust bucket?

#23 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

It really depends what you want from the car, if you're just looking to preserve it then do as little as possible, but then what are you preserving it for?

If you actually want to drive it as God intended, do you really want to be driving around in a rust bucket?

This is what I was hoping to here! Thanks Andrew.

From the amount of rust I am pretty sure it is safe to assume it wouldn't pass a roady anyway, but I really would like for it to be able to pass it. Next chance I get to see the car I will probably slap on a heap of rust preventer around the car where it needs it.

As I said before the first goal is to get it running, and assuming the drivetrain is okay, be able to drive it up and down the driveway which will be amusing on it its own, then start working on the body myself properly with what help I can get.

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Won't pass with rust, esp in any structural members.

#25 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Won't pass with rust, esp in any structural members.

Yes I figured. Guess those will be the parts I'll have to slave away on, hoping the floor isn't too bad as well, because if I can avoid pulling out the interior I would be quite happy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Torana, LC, XU1, GTR, XU-1, Restoration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users