T10 metallic noise under load - bearings?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

My T10 has always been a bit noisy but today things have progressed to a new level. Normally it has a metallic noise only really noticeable when in reverse, when clutch is depressed it disappears. 

There also seemed to be some metallic rattle thru the gears when the engine was under load but I cant necessarily attribute this to the gearbox.

Took the car out for a drive this morning as I just had a kit put thru the carbie (was flooding badly). 20 minutes into the journey at around 100kph consistent highway driving, coming down into 3rd gear, the car developed a high pitch rattle/whine. This continued thru the gears under any loading.

Turned around and headed straight home. In fourth gear, under any loading whatsover the noise was horrible. High pitch rattling whine . There seemed to be power to accelerate, (temp, oil pressure fine, ) when any pressure on the accelerator,the noise dramatically increased. Backing off the noise disappeared. Had to put in short bursts of noisy acceleration to keep the rattling down and cruised home doing around 80kmh as i was worried about a failure.

Coming into home, using the lower gears, the noise pretty much disappeared. Under acceleration the noise slightly appeared but nothing like previously. Under idle at home there seemed to also be some sort of subtle "rubbing, abrasive " noise that wasnt previously evident.

Gearbox has sufficient -correct fluid but hasnt been opened up in 20+ years.

Guessing its bearings, but as my knowledge of gearboxes is pretty small, I would appreciate some opinions, advice etc. 

Thanks all,

Bruno.

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Not sure but back in the day had a mate who had the flywheel come loose in his LJ XU1 ,from memory it behaved a bit like your story?

#3 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

Sounds like bearings , pull it down before it goes bang , when it goes bang will cost a lot more .

#4 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:05 AM

Might as well drop the oil and see how ugly or not it looks.

#5 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

I would’ve looked at the diff until you mentioned the rubbing/abrasive noise under idle when at home. Sounds like the box needs pulling down ASAP.

#6 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Agree it sounds like bearings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users