Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

I am now up for a new radiator for my hatch with its new 355.

#1 - Will an electronic rust preventative unit (RUSTSTOP RS5) which puts 30-50v through the body make an alloy radiator corrode faster?

#2 - Has any one used a Fenix Radiator? Or what type of radiators are most using?

#3 - I am staying away from a crossflow radiator as they reduce the cooling surface area due to the tanks being on the side - even though PWR are stating that it does not reduce it. Am I better off with a brass/copper radiator or an alloy?

#2 _Darylle_

_Darylle_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi Matt

I have an identical car and also looking for a replacement radiator. I did see on Ebay?? 3 row copper/brass new at $700.00 but I am guessing they are crossflow but with my 308 I reckon that will do the job.

Good luck finding what you want and please let us know how you ended up.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

And use Toyota coolant

#4 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

The crossflows all look to be alloy & brass all verticals but the brass ones are not very common anymore.
After speaking with 12 different suppliers including Race radiators, pwr, fenix & the electronic rust repair supplier I ended up ordering a 3 core 65mm thick brass/copper radiator which is due to cost around $700 and is being custom made in Toowoomba. No one could tell me if these units could make electrolysis better or worse so rather than risk $700-1000 I’m sticking with what I know will work & last. If I had checked for electrolysis before stripping the drivetrain out I wouldn’t be having problem.

Race radiators even mentioned to not to use their product & said they’ve seen brand new pwr & their own radiators corrode in under 3 weeks from new

#5 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Is it too late to cancel your order?
I would happily buy another aluminium Chinese cheapie off eBay.
Less than $200 delivered.
Happily cooling the ute and the yellow LJ.

#6 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

I realise that’s a fair saving but after spending $15k on the engine I would prefer to stick with what I know works. I also have the factory air con & oil coolers in front of the radiator & I’ve run my air con on a 40 deg day and the gauge only moved from 1/4 to 1/2 & never looked close to boiling.

#7 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

And use Toyota coolant

I think the Toyota coolant is only for aluminum radiators isn't it Neil ? It's good stuff though.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

Big T coolant is good for everythign and cheaper than most other premixes on the market. 

Op has spent way to much money, and reads to much bullshti on the internet. 

Electronic rust preventative systems are a hoax. A hoax a lot of people made money off in the 00's. And one that I thought had vanished from modern day untill I read this thread. 

But hey, if you believe in them, I will happilly sell you a box that is guaranteed to do something with no guarantee, its only $1000, pm me for payment details?

#9 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

I was sceptical when I installed it too but thought it couldn’t hurt. In the 1st 6 months I lived on the Gold Coast I had a few bubbles of rust from the C pillar & then I installed the unit. 11 years later the rust has not spread any further. Coincidence?? I reckon this has stopped the rust getting any worse since it was fitted.

I’m pretty sure it only cost around $200 too.

#10 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

Off the radiator topic a little...but those aussie made rust preventa type black boxes, that were doing the rounds a few years back always intrigued me.

They had a very impressive list of corporate clients, some of those mining companies etc  had vast engineering department resources behind them  , and would be unlikely fall for smoke and mirrors, were that to be the case.

I have seen over the years that the SEQ Surf rescue vehicles had them fitted, and despite being on the beach all day and being driven through salt water every day...they had no visible rust ( not even on the threads of the wheel studs, or on the brackets and bolts underneath)??.

Makes you wonder........

#11 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

The oil and gas industry uses electronic rust prevention on their extended pipelines, especially on wharves and in high salt environments.

Cathodic Protection systems do work, however they must be set up correctly.

Can't vouch for the types they sell for cars though as I have never used them.

#12 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

BOMBER - why do you think they are a hoax?

Cathodic protection is taught in high school science and it obviously works or no one would outlay the money to install it on pipelines, boats ect. I think the fact I have not done any other rust prevention on my car and the rust has not got any worse since I installed the unit is pretty good evidence it's doing something? Especially with living in a house on a salt water canal and my car being parked in the open when I used to drive it to work every day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users