Alternators with external regulators 16v

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

Today I tested 5 Bosch Alternators with external regulators.

Each Alternator gave results of around 16v using a volts gauge and verified this reading with a multimeter.

I also used 3 different Bosch regulators (1 x NOS) and all read the same voltage around 16v.

Is it a coincidence all three read the same voltage and are external regulators easily adjustable?

Is it a big problem the charge rate is at 16v? I thought 13-14v was the norm.

Anyhow I am no electo that’s why I am asking

Thnx

#2 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

Put a load on it and see what voltage it regulates at.

You do not describe how the test was conducted - in car connected to battery,  @ idle.

mid 14's is normal for no load -  load - headlights etc, low 13's to high 12's.

real regulators have remote voltage sensing (@the battery) this compensates for voltage drop in high load situation to maintain 12+ Volts at the battery and current sensing for load control.

Cheap digital multi-meters are "cheap" - an analogue moving iron or moving coil meter will give you a true reading.  

Edited by Balfizar, 08 December 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

16v sounds like the maximum output? Maybe you're not testing them correctly as above?

#4 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

Testing is done on an engine test stand with a single wire running to the + on the battery.

Idle at 900rpm is 14v and increasing revs to 1500rpm it does 16v constantly. Bringing back to idle does 14v

I am confident in my gauge and multimeter as I am running a Bosch Alternator with an internal Reg and output at 2000rpm is 13.5v. Idle around 12.5v

Alternators am testing are Bosch 35a as fitted to early Holden’s. The external regulators I have used are your standard silver top Bosch units of the same era as the Alternators..

Put a load on it and see what voltage it regulates at.
You do not describe how the test was conducted - in car connected to battery, @ idle.
mid 14's is normal for no load - load - headlights etc, low 13's to high 12's.

real regulators have remote voltage sensing (@the battery) this compensates for voltage drop in high load situation to maintain 12+ Volts at the battery and current sensing for load control.

Cheap digital multi-meters are "cheap" - an analogue moving iron or moving coil meter will give you a true reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users