L31 SS Restoration Information

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Hi all,

So I'm doing a full resto on a LX SS L31 original numbers matching car, original engine. This resto is going to be done as close to original as possible. I'm after as much info as I can get to try and get this car as close as possible to how it left the factory, so please be understanding if some of my questions may seem basic, or not important.

The only things that won't be original will be the flares and drop tank. This car came into NZ from new ( or at least entered NZ in 1977 with only delivery km's on the clock ), and from all the research I've done, it seems that the car either came into NZ with the flares and tank fitted ( I know these where not factory fitted, but wonder if a dealer in Australia had them fitted ) or if not, then they where fitted to the car fairly early in its life. Because I believe the car had these fitted very early in its life, I would like to keep them on.

From the original ownership papers ( which I still have ) I can gather that this car may have been imported into NZ privately from new, as there doesn't seem to be any mention of Holden NZ. I'm also told that Holden NZ didn't bring any SS L31's into the country ( can anyone confirm this? ).

So here goes...

Horn: Would this car originally had twin horns or one single horn fitted on the passengers side of the radiator support?

Rad Fan: Is the radiator fan that this would have had the same as the one you can currently get from Resto Country ( #3927791 - 17.5" four blade manual fan )?

Radiator Fan Decal: I've got photos that show there is a decal on the fan shroud, but some photos have the "Beware of fan" wording on the RH side of the decal, and others have the wording on the bottom of the decal. The decal kit from Resto Counrty has the one with the "Beware of fan" wording on the bottom of the decal. Is this correct for this car?

L/H Rocker Cover Stamp: I see some cars with two letters stamped on the front of the L/H Rocker Cover. What do these letters represent? Did all cars get them?

Exhaust manifolds: The car currently has Pacemaker Headers fitted. I would assume this car would have left the factory with Cast exhaust manifolds. Are the original cast manifolds it had the same as can be found on other 308 cars of that era?

Air Filter Housing: Would the original air filter housing be the same as the likes of the HZ V8 housing? Seems I can get my hands on the HJ / HZ type relatively easy, but haven't found one that was said to be off a LX. My assumption is that these wouldn't have been specific to the LX.

Engine Paint: I know this is getting into fine detail, but my assumption is that the rocker cover bolts, oil cap, oil pump, sump etc where all painted at the same time once the engine was together in the factory ( rather than what I see on some cars where the rocker cover bolts are bare steel or zinc coated ).

Engine Paint Colour: Am I correct in saying the original engine colour for the 308 in the LX was Rocket Red? Does anyone have a paint code that I can give to the paint supplier to get some mixed to suit the original colour?

Spark Plug Lead Holders: Would this have originally had the holders that attach to the rocker covers to clip the spark plug leads into? I see some cars with these fitted, and some without. The rocker covers that came with this car ( but not fitted to the engine ) don't have the slots that lead holders would slide into. No guarantee that these are the original rocker covers, as the car had chrome covers fitted to it at some stage.

Engine Cam Specs: Would someone know what the cam specs are for these engines from the factory. I gather there was nothing special about the engine build for these L31 SS's

Drive Shaft: Would this have been painted black originally? and would there have been any stamps or decals on the driveshaft and transmission?

If anyone has any other information of Decals, Delivery Stamps, Assembly Markings etc, then I would really appreciate as much info as I can get.

I think that's probably enough to start off with. I know as the build progresses there will be more questions that come up, but these are the initial questions off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

#2 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

Radiator Fan Decal: I've got photos that show there is a decal on the fan shroud, but some photos have the "Beware of fan" wording on the RH side of the decal, and others have the wording on the bottom of the decal. The decal kit from Resto Counrty has the one with the "Beware of fan" wording on the bottom of the decal. Is this correct for this car?

L/H Rocker Cover Stamp: I see some cars with two letters stamped on the front of the L/H Rocker Cover. What do these letters represent? Did all cars get them?

If anyone has any other information of Decals, Delivery Stamps, Assembly Markings etc, then I would really appreciate as much info as I can get.

G'day Tony,

Here's a link to have a look at for engine decals and lots of other stuff. Well regarded by many people.

http://www.toranarpa...m.au/engine bay

If you post a few pics of the car people might point out a few things too.

There's numerous build threads on here for L31 hatches...including mine ;)

Cheers,

Liz :)

#3 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info Liz,

I've been on that site before... but not sure why I never looked through the decals. Lots of good stuff there.

Cheers

Tony

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Go to Liz Clares build everything you need to know is there

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

Standard Torana tailshafts are: 

4 cyl = gold

6 cyl = black

4.2L = light green

5.0L = rust brown

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hi all,

So I'm doing a full resto on a LX SS L31 original numbers matching car, original engine. This resto is going to be done as close to original as possible. I'm after as much info as I can get to try and get this car as close as possible to how it left the factory, so please be understanding if some of my questions may seem basic, or not important.

The only things that won't be original will be the flares and drop tank. This car came into NZ from new ( or at least entered NZ in 1977 with only delivery km's on the clock ), and from all the research I've done, it seems that the car either came into NZ with the flares and tank fitted ( I know these where not factory fitted, but wonder if a dealer in Australia had them fitted ) or if not, then they where fitted to the car fairly early in its life. Because I believe the car had these fitted very early in its life, I would like to keep them on.
From the original ownership papers ( which I still have ) I can gather that this car may have been imported into NZ privately from new, as there doesn't seem to be any mention of Holden NZ. I'm also told that Holden NZ didn't bring any SS L31's into the country ( can anyone confirm this? ).

So here goes...

Horn: Would this car originally had twin horns or one single horn fitted on the passengers side of the radiator support?

Rad Fan: Is the radiator fan that this would have had the same as the one you can currently get from Resto Country ( #3927791 - 17.5" four blade manual fan )?

torana rpa for those !

L/H Rocker Cover Stamp: I see some cars with two letters stamped on the front of the L/H Rocker Cover. What do these letters represent?

Yes it should have a 2 letter code.

Exhaust manifolds: The car currently has Pacemaker Headers fitted. I would assume this car would have left the factory with Cast exhaust manifolds. Are the original cast manifolds it had the same as can be found on other 308 cars of that era?

yep cast headers, could be the same as HX, not certain though.

Air Filter Housing: Would the original air filter housing be the same as the likes of the HZ V8 housing? Seems I can get my hands on the HJ / HZ type relatively easy, but haven't found one that was said to be off a LX. My assumption is that these wouldn't have been specific to the LX.

I think it's the same as HX 308, gmh & 5 litre decals I'm pretty sure in red letters.

Engine Paint: I know this is getting into fine detail, but my assumption is that the rocker cover bolts, oil cap, oil pump, sump etc where all painted at the same time once the engine was together in the factory ( rather than what I see on some cars where the rocker cover bolts are bare steel or zinc coated ).

Yes engine painted as a complete unit, if it's a manual, it probably has the rocket red around the edge of the bell housing, where it meets the engine block too.

Engine Paint Colour: Am I correct in saying the original engine colour for the 308 in the LX was Rocket Red? Does anyone have a paint code that I can give to the paint supplier to get some mixed to suit the original colour?

rocket red 10890

Spark Plug Lead Holders: Would this have originally had the holders that attach to the rocker covers to clip the spark plug leads into? I see some cars with these fitted, and some without. The rocker covers that came with this car ( but not fitted to the engine ) don't have the slots that lead holders would slide into. No guarantee that these are the original rocker covers, as the car had chrome covers fitted to it at some stage.

pretty sure it should have them, if same as slr

Engine Cam Specs: Would someone know what the cam specs are for these engines from the factory. I gather there was nothing special about the engine build for these L31 SS's

would have been a standard cam, but personally I'd fit a mild hydraulic to suit your driving & gearing.

Drive Shaft: Would this have been painted black originally? and would there have been any stamps or decals on the driveshaft and transmission?

Yes they're will be a code like 73 style i believe, can't remember if the lx tails haft uses the yellow lettering though.

As for the transmission is it automatic or manual ?

I think that's probably enough to start off with. I know as the build progresses there will be more questions that come up, but these are the initial questions off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

#7 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:36 AM

Thanks to Liz, Andrew and Gary. Some good information there. All getting noted down for future reference.

Gary, sorry I didn't list the trans details. This ones a M40 Trimatic. Diff is the GU7.

Thanks all.

#8 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

Standard Torana tailshafts are: 

4 cyl = gold

6 cyl = black

4.2L = light green

5.0L = rust brown

This is true for LH Andrew but but according to the LX parts catalog all v8's got the Light Green 2.5 inch (9929139) tailshaft rather than the 2.75 inch Rust Brown

(9929140) which appears to have been dropped.

Welcome Tony and i am so glad you are doing an authentic resto on your hatch.

If you search your different questions you will find most have been discussed (and argued) at length but l'll have a crack

at the stuff l've found out doing mine.

First do yourself a favor and as Liz said get onto the Torana .R.P.A site for all your decals and engine stencil (remember different for auto)

-Horns:- All SS's came with a high note (round) on the RHS and low note (shell shape) on LHS.

-Fan;- That fan from Resto or Rares is correct if you don't have A/C

-Fan warning decal:- Email Mick at Torana RPA with the month and year.

-LH and LX have a special exhaust manifold on the LHS that is rare but do come up for sale, the RHS is common to HQ-HZ but you will

need one with the later pollution flap for your 1977 car. 

-Aircleaner;- you will need an HX or HZ pollution one.

-Eng colour etc:- l used KBS Rocket red and l think it's a great match and finish. If you look closely on old unrestored engines they sprayed them

assembled and therefore got red over spray on the edges all round the timing cover and around the inlet manifold as well- very rough. l didn't go that far :)

-Rocker covers:- there is a thread on these to show the differences between models

-Cam:- Just ordinary HQ spec that are readily available.

-Tailshaft:- as above- measure thickness my bet is 2.5 inches if your is original and therefore will be light green. l used International Harvester Goulburn green.

They do have a date stencil on them which l have the dimensions for if your that keen.

Hope this helps good luck

Stuart

#9 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

To give you an idea of the overspray, this engine has driven less than 300 kilometers.

Attached File  IMG_n0615.jpg   109.79K   17 downloads

Attached File  m.jpg   194.78K   9 downloads

If your rocker covers don't have the lead tabs welded to them, then they are Commodore ones.

#10 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Stuart and Laurie. I've spent a few hours going through all the old posts, and will continue to keep doing so no doubt. All of the info you've given so far is gold.

Regarding the overspray.... there's a conflict going on in my head over this one. I want it to be original but don't know if my OCD will let that one go. :huh:

I'm making up a list of things to send to Mick at Torana RPA.

Also of note is that this is a NZ car, so doesn't have any of the ADR / pollution gear.

Cheers

Tony

#11 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

What is its build date on the compliance plate Tony? Can I see a photo of it?

#12 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hi Laurie,

Export cars into NZ didn't have compliance / ADR plates. This one has never had this third plate fitted. Just the Vin and Body ID Tags.

Vin is 8D77TGJ ----- X which decodes to a 1977 LX SS Hatch 308 out of Dandenong.

The NZ ownership papers show it was first registered in the country in March 1977.

Still sorting out photo uploads.

Cheers

Tony

#13 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

We'll see if this uploading tool works for me...

Also I've been trying to search through this site using the built in search tool, but then found a thread that says this search tool doesn't work that well and its best to use Google search with "GMH-Torana" in the search topic. Once I sorted this I was able to track down a heap more info that I was after. Handy to know.

Attached Files

Edited by ocd454, 12 December 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#14 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Hatch looks great, nice shed mates it has too.

Cheers,

Liz :)

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

We'll see if this uploading tool works for me...

Also I've been trying to search through this site using the built in search tool, but then found a thread that says this search tool doesn't work that well and its best to use Google search with "GMH-Torana" in the search topic. Once I sorted this I was able to track down a heap more info that I was after. Handy to know.

As odd as it sounds, the over spray can look pretty good once the aluminum bits ect had been thoroughly cleaned prior to that, which sounds contradictive but it looks authentic if that makes sense. "When" i see some photos if i spot anything i'll point it out. I may have a set of those rocker covers, but the freight price would be crazy to NZ. Looking forward to seeing the car, what colour is it mate. Gary.

#16 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:58 AM

Hi Gary.
I uploaded some photos of the car yesterday in the post above. Are you not able to see them?
Car is Papaya with Tan and Chevron trim.

#17 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

Nice car Tony. Do you know which pollution gear it missed out on? Carbon canister? Manifold heating?

Can we have a couple of pics of the VH?? :)

#18 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

Nice car Tony. Do you know which pollution gear it missed out on? Carbon canister? Manifold heating?

Can we have a couple of pics of the VH?? :)

I would assume that an export 1977 LX would be equipped the same as an LH or early LX where the fuel tank is properly vented thru a carbon canister, but the exhaust anti-pollution gear is absent. 

The inlet manifold would be water heated, there would be no EGR & the vacuum advance run directly to the dissy.

Dr Terry

#19 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Dr Terry. Is there a final version of your book in the works?

#20 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

No Anti Pollution on the exhaust. No Carbon Canister ( I assume this is the plastic one we normally see fitted under the bonnet on the front right corner... if so then no, these aren't fitted, ) and no EGR valve. So I guess you could say its the same as your pre-pollution cars.

I don't have any photos of this car assembled, as it had been stripped somewhat for a rebuild in the '90s and stayed that way until I bought it recently.

Regarding the VH, this photo is the only good one I have on-hand at the moment...

Cheers

Attached Files

#21 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

Wow no canister even in 1977- you were naughty in NZ.

Nice Group 3 Tony.

#22 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

What happened to the spats on the front guards?

#23 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

I think the wind splitters were an option Andrew.

#24 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

I haven't managed to get any confirmation saying this is actually a group 3. All I can say for sure is that it is a factory L31 Manual SS XV2 car.

#25 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

Got a photo of the interior?

0 user(s) are reading this topic