skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

As close to original? it has flares and drop tank, but we need the original horn and fan? 😂

#27 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

As stated earlier, This car either had these flares fitted as an option from the dealer ( maybe even the NZ dealer ) or if not then they where fitted very early in the cars life. I have full ownership history of this car, and from that I've been told that this car seems to have always had flares. The drop tank is not as clear, so I could go either way on that one.

I really can't bring myself to remove the flares, reinstate the rear wheel arches and fit new front guards if it turns out that this is the way the car has always been. Believe me, I have been thinking long and hard about whether I should take the car right back to stock ( like Liz's car ) or keep it how its spent most of its life.

I guess I was always going to get stick from someone from asking these specific and detailed questions, but that's how we learn things right.

Tell you what, how about some input from everyone. What's the rest of the forum think about keeping the history of the car, or taking it back to what the factory produced. I'd be interested to know because it is something that has been bugging me since I got the car.

Cheers

#28 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

I would be happy to keep the flares, droptank, hotwire etc as these are period modifications.

Personally if I ever get my dream car, A9X/L34 I would have no issue fitting these types of accessories even a period type under dash knee freezer A/C.

Build the car you want to drive and enjoy,

#29 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

It will always be worth more with flares and droptank.

#30 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

I like it just how it looks now, drop tank and flares look great. I would have Simmons wheels if I was going to choose not to have the hub caps.

I reckon the dealers did whatever they had to do to sell cars back in the day, not like these days with standard accessory packs. I think salesmen had to work to get a sale in the 70s and if a potential buyer came along who was a bit unsure then maybe a drop tank and flares was offered to make the sale.

Cheers,

Liz :)

#31 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

I haven't managed to get any confirmation saying this is actually a group 3. All I can say for sure is that it is a factory L31 Manual SS XV2 car.

If it came through HDT (ie. an SS "Group 1", "Group 2" or "Group 3") it will have a HDT Build Plate on it, otherwise it's likely just an SS Commodore.

X%20Chassis%20plates%20and%20codes%20Bro

Also it should have a "VZ" engine number prefix if it still has it's original V5H engine?

Edited by Bigfella237, 14 December 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#32 _ocd454_

_ocd454_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:36 AM

Those HDT plates where only fitted new from VK onwards. If you had a VH you had to apply to get them fitted retrospectively. They would then only supply them to you if your car was on the HDT record books, and then you had to hope that your car wasn't a Friday afternoon car, and they actually recorded the details.
It all on the HDT website.

But to clear it up, I don't think mine is a Group 3. It seems to have a lot of the gear, but doesn't have the foot rest that should have been fitted if it was a group 3

Edited by ocd454, 15 December 2017 - 04:39 AM.

#33 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

https://hdt.com.au/hdt-authentication/

0 user(s) are reading this topic