trying to find truth behind xu1 magazine article

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _ehute_

_ehute_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

My apologies for once again bringing up the subject of authenticating an ex colin bond xu1.

ive googled for about two yrs now with no joy.

my question;

a couple of years ago I was in a waiting room and read a magazine article by an xu1 owner.  That owner may well be a known person on this forum, assuming the story was correct.

I regret not taking the magazine with me, I think it may have ben an Unique Cars mag with one of those extra articles.

It was a story about an XU1 daily driver, with several street owners, that turned out to have race track pedigree.

I like dot points;

• the car was owned by his best friend, it was unusually quick.
  • His best friend passed away, he purchased his friends car from the estate. (wife?)
  • he decided to look into its past, I don't remember all the investigative detail but some how he discovered it may have been an ex Bathurst or touring car championship car.
  • The article mentioned it was not uncommon for ex race cars to be resold in the showroom as demonstrators or 2nd hand low mile units.
  • from body modifications such a holes drilled in certain places for exhausts and whatever, I think ian tate???? confirmed it was an ex colin bond car.
  • the owner then decided to restore the car to its original race livery for shows etc, but im not sure if he actually completed the race resto.

questions;

was this article for real?

did i mis read it?

did I dream this up and cannot tell the difference between fiction and reality?

I think its fiction as all my googlin cant reproduce that article, but im sure I read it.

thanks for hearing me.

Mark

edit, ive noticed my dots do not appear to be showing.....

Edited by ehute, 15 December 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#2 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name:MrFX
  • Car:Fx

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

Ive mentioned on here before about this, But when i did work experience back in the 70's, The tradesman i was assigned to ( sparky)  Had an XU1  according to him it was Colin bonds old Rally car, IT was a point that even back then he was proud of, and i have no reason to doubt him,and the car certainly looked the part. Roll cage, Cibie Super oscars etc   it  was a grey beige sort of colour with a black bonnet from memory.   His name was Chris, but cant remember his last name, This was up in the Hydro scheme in Nth east Victoria, but he was originally from Melbourne

It looked sorta like this one

https://en.wikipedia...ham_Ruckert.jpg

wonder what the chances are its the same car?

Edited by fx48_eh64, 15 December 2017 - 05:30 AM.

#3 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:00 AM

Yes it was a real article, have a read of this thread, all of it, later it was featured in Australian Muscle Car magazine, i have the issue.

http://www.gmh-toran...-authenticated/

#4 _ehute_

_ehute_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Thank you. Ive just read the whole thread. fascinating. Ive read many of his posts in my research.

its an old thread and damb it cant see many of the attached pictures.

What I did not find was the reference to obtaining the car from his passed friends wife. So is it the same story/car?

If I remember the article correctly, his friend passed after a struggle with some mental heath issues. my apologies to all concerned if I've got this part of the article wrong.

Mark

Edit, thinking about it more, I can understand why that part of the story was not repeated in the thread.

Edited by ehute, 15 December 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#5 _ehute_

_ehute_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Could be, guess I have to find someone that knows the article I referred to and the person in featured in it.

Redzone is probably correct but I think it may be an assumption based on similarity in story rather than definite knowledge of the article I read.

ide like to a see a copy of the story I read.

Edited by ehute, 15 December 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Darryl who owned the car in that thread is the fellow who passed away. The AMC article was from the perspective of the current owner who bought it from Darryl's family.

#7 Seymour Beer 1

Seymour Beer 1

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Car:LJ

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Mark, issue 63 of AMC contains the article. There's a few on ebay now, if you are chasing a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users