28 replies to this topic

#1 nzxu1

nzxu1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:17 AM

Does anyone have any experience on one of these  j-zed engines  ? 

https://www.ebay.com...lkAAOSwHnFVycXD

SUB 10 SEC 1/4 MILE TIMES  is a  pretty bold claim   and for the parts included in the build plus time to build it     that seems like  excellent value indeed  .

#2 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:45 AM

I'd recomend you do some research on moe engines / zop454 / brian cassar first before buying anything.

Capable yes, but never seen a n/a 'jzed' in a sedan run faster high 11's/ bottom 12's, plenty of duggans have.

Edited by greens nice, 17 December 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#3 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

There is an LJ in Street Machine that had one of these heads and put out over 400 HP. However, the magazine article never had any quarter times. There is another bloke who builds red motors with JZeds and they also claim over 400 HP. I can dig out some info if you want. There are some others around as well. 

Regards 

#4 nzxu1

nzxu1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

There is an LJ in Street Machine that had one of these heads and put out over 400 HP. However, the magazine article never had any quarter times. There is another bloke who builds red motors with JZeds and they also claim over 400 HP. I can dig out some info if you want. There are some others around as well. 

Regards 

Some more info would be great thanks Jon   :)

#5 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

Where are these 10sec n/a torries????

Orange lj that had jz top end on it now has ls2...

#6 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Pretty sure that black LJ with a Holden six is the fastest full body Torana six cylinder.

It's running into the 9s or close from memory.

And it's got a Holden (or atleast a highly modified standard style) head on it.

#7 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

Meant by the way that ebay ad is worded you'd expect them to show some customer cars in the 10's or 11's & even so you'd want to drive it on street if spending 15k on a long block.

That black lj is fairly wild even for 6cyl race car.

#8 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

I wonder if this black LJ was white. If so it is included in another thread, fastest Holden 6, something like that. It had a 9 port head, SUs, likely 2 inch and shock horror a manual, but I think it was a Liberty Top Loader. it had just cracked into the 9s.  

NZXU1, I'll dig out of my magazine pile some more info. From memory an Orange LJ, Street Machine Mag, has now a V8. It was featured twice and in the early article it had the Jzed and 45 mm Webers, I thought that the 45s were too small; I don't think any power figures were mentioned, however, in the latest article it has the V8, but it states that after taking it to a gun Holden 6 tuner they changed the 45s to 50 mm webers, bigger headers and some other changes that I can't remember and cracked out over 400 HP, surely that would run a 10. Sammut Bros last century used a Duggan, NA in an LJ and run 10s. I'll try and find the article as well.

The JZed head is a Duggan. As far as I know Joe Zullo has bought the patens for Frank Duggan's head and made some changes.I think the ports are a squarer design and the valves might be a little closer to the center and there are likely some other little changes. Joe Zullo also has a Face book page to have a look at. It seems that if you do get a JZed you will need big carbies or throttle bodies to supply those dirty big direct downdrafted ports. I also read about an FJ with the JZed and that put out 350 HP, but with the 45mm Webers that was a while ago I wonder if it has 50 mm or even bigger Webers on it now.

Regards

#9 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Brian from Moe engines has a hit and miss reputation... A fair number of people complain that he takes a really long time to get the product out to them and I think some have complained over small things, like the quality of the paint used on the block etc.. A few blokes have said that they've had to take hium to court to get there money back cause they got sick of waiting...

In Brians defence, a few years ago I contacted him about putting together a short block for me and the first thing he said was it would take 6 months or more as he is snowed under with work... So he was honest with me up front that it would take a long time for the turnaround. Although I guess when money is in your hand some might agree to the delay in build at first but then crack it after 6 months and they have nothing for their dough- I imagine it would be frustrating but if you've been told it will take a long time at least they've been honest.

But from what I have read, he is a very knowledgable engine builder. 

I was extremely impressed with the ZJED engine build from about 12 months ago... He cracked 420 odd hp from memory at the fly, and at a relatively low rpm, like 6200rpm. I inquired about this and it was admittedly run on MS109 oxygenated race fuel but from memory the same rig made about 390hp on pump 98. This was through 48mm webers from memory. 

Tried to attach a pic of the dyno sheet but the uploader isn't working and photobucket can get plucked.

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 19 December 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#10 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:24 AM

I converted the file and seems to work now..

Attached Files

• Attached File  moe.jpg   50.05K   15 downloads

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Yeah the black lj used to be white youtube car.

Just think that if advertised 10sec engine is going to cost easy 20k then add driveline you'd want to see actual proof it can do it & also hope could drive it on street occasionally.

#12 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

I think any JZED/ Duggan headed 202 that has a reasonable cam/ carb/ exhaust package should be good for low 12s /high 11s in a small torry. It would take a fair bit of refinement to crack 10s but at 400hp its within possibilities with a very good setup and light car etc..

In regards to cost, whether its a 308 or a 202 its gonna take money to get it moving well. It would obviously cost a fair bit less to crack 400hp in a 308 but it will still take some money. Also, the various extra costs and engineering costs for the conversion adds up as well- so I reckon a 308 conversion with a good 400hp engine would cost around 15k by the time you get all the gear and get it engineered. All in all, I think 15k for a 370 plus hp 202 engine is actually not that expensive, as long as the motor stays together. I know quite a few blokes who have spent near 10k on their 202 for a 250hp setup, which in some way puts things in perspective I guess.

But at the end of the day, the way I see it is if my only prerogative was to go fast, I would buy an old rexy or s14 and pump up the boost on E85 for easy 12s. But its not just going fast that is the attraction, its getting something to go fast that really isn't designed to be fast.

#13 nzxu1

nzxu1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

In regards to cost, whether its a 308 or a 202 its gonna take money to get it moving well. It would obviously cost a fair bit less to crack 400hp in a 308 but it will still take some money. Also, the various extra costs and engineering costs for the conversion adds up as well- so I reckon a 308 conversion with a good 400hp engine would cost around 15k by the time you get all the gear and get it engineered. All in all, I think 15k for a 370 plus hp 202 engine is actually not that expensive, as long as the motor stays together. I know quite a few blokes who have spent near 10k on their 202 for a 250hp setup, which in some way puts things in perspective I guess.

l quite agree that  370 hp from  202  is very  good value indeed for  approx 16 k  and that's the reason l asked  the question .

l bought 202  engine bits over  various trips l did to Australia over a number of years , including a 2nd hand Duggan head , new tighe roller  cam and roller lifters   and other bits n pieces , plus dry sump setup here in  NZ  and had some else build it for me as well. It puts out  approx  350  hp and that cost me well over  25k plus ( l gave up counting )  l already had the 48 webers .

#14 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

If you can get your hands on Street Machine Oct 2017, p. 92. This orange LJ used the JZED and 45mm Dellorto's. I get the impression that the owner was not happy with his power output, as he had Vince Macri (NC touring car racer) do some more development on the JZED engine. They changed to a solid roller cam, 50 mm Webers and 1/7,8th headers and came up with 412 HP.

If you see a stunning blue EH wagon (Street machine Dec 2017) at first glance it has a nice Weber fed 179 in it, no so, it has a 325 HP 202, featuring the Irving head and 50mm Webers. Street Machine Magazine (2017, p.36) state, if you're thinking 50mm is damn big, well known racer Brad Tilley told the EH owner that "if it was a race car, you'd use 55s, but for driveabillity, go with 50s. Might be worth having a good look at least using 50mm Webers. You certainly have the ports and the cam for them. For what its worth when i had a 9 port, also a big head, big cam, i had 45 Webers, I took a risk and machined out the 40mm chokes, cut them in half and ended up with 43mm chokes, bigger main jets and the damn thing destroyed every clutch I put in it. 

Regards

#15 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:07 PM

Check this out, www.hi-tec-engines.com.au. claims 450 HP from a 202 and the JZed.

regards 

#16 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:42 AM

Check this out, www.hi-tec-engines.com.au. claims 450 HP from a 202 and the JZed.

regards 

Warning Will Robinson, warning. Lots of claims and promises from that source.

#17 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:55 AM

Hmmm.reading that makes me want to get rid
of my red head and go the zed.id settle for
340-350hp out of 186 bore...im not greedy ☺

#18 nzxu1

nzxu1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:29 AM

What an interesting web site ,  450 horsepower   6 cylinder  ...........all l can say is wow  !

Circuit racer that l've competed against here  has a  duggan head and  runs  55mmm webers  and it must have well over  400 hp going by how he can pull away from me on a straight .

Edited by nzxu1, 20 December 2017 - 06:34 AM.

#19 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

If you can get your hands on Street Machine Oct 2017, p. 92. This orange LJ used the JZED and 45mm Dellorto's. I get the impression that the owner was not happy with his power output, as he had Vince Macri (NC touring car racer) do some more development on the JZED engine. They changed to a solid roller cam, 50 mm Webers and 1/7,8th headers and came up with 412 HP.

A 350 to 400hp 202 would be a hoot, but I can see how some might actually be disappointed. The high figure sounds great and so forth, but such and engine will still feel like a six at the end of the day due to the lack of low end torque. This wouldnt bother some but it would bother quite a few.. .if you're use to V8 torque and linear power bands, one could be mistaken to compare a 400hp 202 to a 400hp V8 and think they would go the same- but in reality, the V8 will always feel quicker due to the better spread of power. 

That being said- you would have to treat a 400hp six for what it is... a break of the mould agricultural engine on the cutting edge of development, that would be quite quick in a light car like an LC or LJ, and would still be sticking to its roots- old school and plenty cool. 

If you just want to fry the tyres just put in an LS and be done with it (not for me though- love the 6!)

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 20 December 2017 - 07:40 AM.

#20 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

What an interesting web site ,  450 horsepower   6 cylinder  ...........all l can say is wow  !

I've spoken to this fella about these power figures.. He claims high figures but I suspect he hasn't dynoed them (I could be wrong though)... He was telling me that he builds 350hp 9 ports engines- after a bit more lengthy discussion as to how, i realised he was referring to hp flow potential, which is quite different to actual hp (obviously).

He probably flowed a JZED to 450hp after he ported it but this in no way means it actually made 450hp. Stick a drain pipe on the block and it will flow 800hp but thats not how it works.

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 20 December 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#21 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

I've spoken to this fella about these power figures.. He claims high figures but I suspect he hasn't dynoed them (I could be wrong though)... He was telling me that he builds 350hp 9 ports engines- after a bit more lengthy discussion as to how, i realised he was referring to hp flow potential, which is quite different to actual hp (obviously).

He probably flowed a JZED to 450hp after he ported it but this in no way means it actually made 450hp. Stick a drain pipe on the block and it will flow 800hp but thats not how it works.

I gave him my engine back in April this year. I got back ZERO horsepower back over four months later. Sorry to say, I would not believe anything on that web site. A very unpleasant experience. One of those where you know you are being told lies but have to bite your tongue and be a nice guy, in this case so I could get my stuff back (in pieces).

#22 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

Being creditable is crucial in business, if you treat your customers like crap, you lose. A warning worth listening to, thanks mate. Very important to find a machinist who has a respect for the good ole 6. I've come across professionals who are happy to take your money in return for poor workmanship and even do no work at all. I suspect that it all boils down to some prick having to work on your Holden 6 and simply don't give a shit. I recently have started looking into straight cut gear sets and have found that it is possible to have these made up for the M-21. There is an Australian company that can do this. The web sight gives you a nice warm feeling in your dacks that they will answer your email even if it is a Holden 6 and an M-21, not a Jap turbo. Still nothing, what a shock. 

Ah yes that lovely V8 torque, I think that's why the orange LJ guy when a V8, to chuck burnouts, each to their own.  

The other thing about the Holden 6 is that's its light, I suppose that's why they break blocks, very thin. I used to carry them around put them in with-out a crane, i think I could not have done that with a Jap 6 and no way with a V8.

I would love to crack 400 with mine, but in reality as said above, cutting edge development. However, the freaks are there, I tried to raise money to buy a 420 HP Holden 6 way back in the 80s last century, but being in your early 20s means bugger all money. It had a Duggan head and fuel injection; speed way engine. I think big down drafted ports need big carbies, throttle bodies to take full advantage it seems anything under 50mm is just not going to get you that magical 400 HP. 

Regards 

#23 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

The way I see it is that yes these heads flow very well and are capable of producing high hp figures at high rpm's and to do so they need large carbs. On a street car though how often are you driving around at 6000 rpm's to take advantage of this?
I suspect that since the volume of air being drawn into the cylinder is still the same as with any other 202 that the air speed at lower rpm's when using such a high flowing head and 48mm + webers with who knows what size chokes would be quite low and due to this the low end performance would suffer. It's just my opinion but low rpm's torque is what you'll benefit from more on the average street car. Has anyone driven one of these big hp jzed engines themselves or is the joy just in looking at maximum hp figures on the dyno.

As an example my good old 9 port (with a 12 port conversion) is more than capable of flowing enough to support 45dcoe webers with 40mm + chokes, probably even 48dcoe's with 42mm + chokes and make good power figures at high rpm's but if I set up the carbs to do this then real world drivability suffers, it's great above 3000rpm's but just don't expect much below that because the air speed is simply to low. Then I can go fit smaller chokes and tune it accordingly and it turns into a completely different beast from idle all the way to redline. The redline might not be as high and therefore the maximum hp not as high but it's far more enjoyable to drive.

#24 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

The way I see it is that yes these heads flow very well and are capable of producing high hp figures at high rpm's and to do so they need large carbs. On a street car though how often are you driving around at 6000 rpm's to take advantage of this?
I suspect that since the volume of air being drawn into the cylinder is still the same as with any other 202 that the air speed at lower rpm's when using such a high flowing head and 48mm + webers with who knows what size chokes would be quite low and due to this the low end performance would suffer. It's just my opinion but low rpm's torque is what you'll benefit from more on the average street car. Has anyone driven one of these big hp jzed engines themselves or is the joy just in looking at maximum hp figures on the dyno.

As an example my good old 9 port (with a 12 port conversion) is more than capable of flowing enough to support 45dcoe webers with 40mm + chokes, probably even 48dcoe's with 42mm + chokes and make good power figures at high rpm's but if I set up the carbs to do this then real world drivability suffers, it's great above 3000rpm's but just don't expect much below that because the air speed is simply to low. Then I can go fit smaller chokes and tune it accordingly and it turns into a completely different beast from idle all the way to redline. The redline might not be as high and therefore the maximum hp not as high but it's far more enjoyable to drive.

The JZED does have big ports and when running bg carbs like 50mm carbs yes the bottom end will obviously suffer to a degree- but there are also irving heads that flow nearly as much, but will produce outstanding low to middle torque due to the small but very low turbulence ports. 

Its more complicated than just choke area- the choke area is just the end of the drain pipe- but you need to consider the full drain pipe from gutter to spout (or valve to bell mouth). 

9 ports and 12 port heads are inefficient in design- hence when ported they are slow ports- especially 9 ports... the air moves slowly, which means we see benefit from speeding up the port speed (ie smaller chokes when running webers or dellortos).

If you have a more efficient port speed, such as with an irving- it will both move air faster and flow greater CFM than a traditional 9 or 12 port head- so 48mm webers with 40 or 42mm chokes are a very good thing on an irving style head.

Granted, JZEDs are not going to move air as fast at lower rpms- but as you can see in the above dyno sheet, with a well designed engine you can work around to at least a little. That JZED engine makes the the same hp as my peak hp for my 9 port (255hp), but only makes it at 3400rpm rather than my 6200rpm. My engine made around 160hp at 3400rpm- BUT thats WOT, part throttle transitions will always prefer smaller carbs/ chokes, but if you use a good compression to cam ratio (dynamic compression) and aggressive cam timing (ie locked dizzy or minimal curve in dizzy like 10 degrees)- you will find you can crutch the part throttle transitions. Or, you can use constant velocity carbs and get some response back that way. There are several ways to skin a cat. Motorbikes run big 45 degree ports and very long duration cams by using CV carbs, just as an example.

The other point to make is that the CFM restricted heads like our 9 ports and 12 ports really benefit from extra duration to give the air more time to fill the cylinders- hence, we already have soggy bottom ends due to the fact that we are running long cams like more than 260@50". These cams are great from 4000rpm and up but are very soggy below. With a better flowing head, like irving, duggan/ JZED- there is less need to run such crazy duration and you could run 250@50 or 254@50 which helps give some drivability back.

Everything is a trade off, and yes, most JZED headed engines will not really be great street engines- but then the people who are going to pay 5k for a head are generally not looking for gentle street engines- they want performance most likely. In all honesty a moderate sized cam (like 238@50 or 240@50) in a YT 9/12 port with SUs will be ideal for the street and regular driver, but it also wont really be all that exhilarating and also wont make much more than an XU1. 

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 21 December 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#25 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

This is turning into a very good thread. A street engine is a very difficult thing to tune from a Holden 6. I suppose that's why V8s and turbos work so well as street engines, especially really big V8s, less stressed. But anyone that has a fair bit of money can do that. So what, if you can make a little engine, N/A, run a 10 and be drivable and registerable then you have achieved something that hardly just anyone can do. i've found that things that are really hard to do give the most satisfaction even just if you can at least finish them.

This discussion on air speed is really helpful. I'm using EFI and its sent me broke, invented new words to cuss with, thrown things around, made an absolute dick of myself several times even been very close to giving up on it and selling the whole damn pain in the arse EFI. But when you weigh up that air speed relates to driveability and power balance in a road car the EFI is ideal. I don't have chokes, fuel signals and float chambers, even though I have a 260 degree cam, dirty big down drafted ports. When it was on the road it was surprisingly driveable even at low rpms. The throttle bodies I have are a little bit out of the ordinary. they start out at a healthy 50mm slightly taper down to 48 and the same down to 45mm, but they then dump into a mainfold that is suited for 50mm Webers. I'll need to devcon the difference and make a nice inner manifold runner that suits the throttle bodies. Maybe its possible to tune for big power and driveability with EFI and its not that EFI makes more power than carbies, as it is similar, but gives a wider scope of tuning. I will be very surprised if I can crack 400 with my set up.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users