LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

It certainly is an interesting thread... Air speed is one of my personal interests areas in engine technology...

As a side note- my old irving head had quite small port volume and port area was very conservative. From memory the round inlet ports were 1.5 inches in diameter and the port volume was about 140cc. The head flowed about 340hp at .600 thou from memory (I have the flow sheets round here somewhere) but stayed strong right up to .800" lift. 

With this head, the port area was relatively small but obviously as it was an efficient port it flowed quite good cfm. As this was a very stable port, in theory you could run quite high airspeed through the port before it would back up on itself and stall. The flow was not necessarily huge- say when compared to a ported JZED head, but it was very stable. The string in port trick showed very stable air. I've head of some very good 9 ports flowing similar cfm- but the efficient port of the irving would help to improve the volumetric efficiency of the engine across a relatively wide rpm range- whereas the 9 port would make good volumetric efficiency at a peak but drop off before and after the peak more considerably..

Hence, an irving headed engine may produce only a little more hp than an excellent 9 port (say 325hp at the fly) but I can guarantee the average hp- or the hp across the curve would definitely be a lot better and it would produce a much better torque curve. A member on here, Thomastorana runs my old irving head on his race car and the thing is a torque machine- he really gives much higher hp cars (like ls engined race cars, and turboed imports in IPRA) a run for their money. Makes great watching- google/ youtube LJ IPRA thomas racing... some great footage... 

In theory, 2 engines, one a strong 9 port making say 300hp and an irving headed engine making the same 300hp- both would run similar mph numbers in a drag race, but put them on a circuit and the irving headed engine would be 2 car lengths further after every corner due to the improved torque spread. 

At least that is my understanding and my wife thinks i'm an idiot on most days, so take what you will from this information  :P

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 22 December 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#27 nzxu1

nzxu1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Talking about air speed , probably about  25 years ago  l replaced the  factory 1.5 strombergs  on my 186 august 71 XU1  with a  genuine set of  1.75's  from an LJ  XU1  . With the original 1.5's plus  HX  cam and  original XU1 head  the car was very snatchy and jerky as you would expect .  l  really fitted  the 1.75's  just as a trial to see what they would be like  fully expecting them to be too big for the 186  and was pleasantly suprised at jut how much  smoother and more driveable  they made the car ,  proving  ( at least to me  ) that  bigger carbs don't nessacarily mean poorer drivability 

#28 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Talking about air speed , probably about  25 years ago  l replaced the  factory 1.5 strombergs  on my 186 august 71 XU1  with a  genuine set of  1.75's  from an LJ  XU1  . With the original 1.5's plus  HX  cam and  original XU1 head  the car was very snatchy and jerky as you would expect .  l  really fitted  the 1.75's  just as a trial to see what they would be like  fully expecting them to be too big for the 186  and was pleasantly suprised at jut how much  smoother and more driveable  they made the car ,  proving  ( at least to me  ) that  bigger carbs don't nessacarily mean poorer drivability 

And the 2" SU's would be another leap forward.

#29 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

A lot of the really quick Holden 6s with Holden heads I have known about usually run 2 inch SUs. I had a 186 stroker, 202 crank, mild engine the cam inlet timing was around 37-73 can't remember what the @50 was and a typical 9 port. I had a 350 Holley and changed to a 500 and the difference was extremely noticeable, heaps more torque at the same revs. i was very surprised.  

Years ago my brother wanted to have a nice 351 built up for a road car. At the time the 4v heads were all the rage. He took some good advise and stuck with a set of well ported 2 vs. There was also another 351 very similar specks and my brothers car certainly had the edge on the car with the 4vs. I also remember a bloke that used to epoxy 4v heads and called them 3v heads i suppose that was in regards to air speed.

I have a very interesting article on the Irving head and the LJ Bathurst XU1. In this article it quotes an interview with Phil Irving stating that there was a batch of down drafted alloy heads assigned for the XU1's. Had Holden went ahead with this, did the XU1 really need the V8? I'll have to watch those you tubes 

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users