LX Torana paint code

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Can  someone  please  tell  me  the  paint  colour ,  for  this  code  for  a  LX  Torana .  568 - 15953 .

Thank  you .

Regards  LC870

Edited by LC870, 22 December 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

Sounds like a red? 

#3 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

Mandarin Red  - shade number 1F072 - 568 is the paint line number.

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

Mandarin Red  - shade number 1F072 - 568 is the paint line number.

1F072 is a 2 pack mixing formula, should just be that on it's own.

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

1F072 is a 2 pack mixing formula, should just be that on it's own.

Agree, 568 is an Acrylic Lacquer paint line number.

Edited by S pack, 23 December 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#6 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Most LH and LX Toranas seem to have 568 for the paint line number, but I have seen a few 567s and a 585. What is the difference in the paint with these?

#7 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

I thought 567 depicts the paint line as a metallic & the 568 is a solid colour type paint..

#8 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

Yep, all different codes for DuPont paint products.

"568" is the "Dulon" prefix for a full gloss solid colour. Other Dulon prefixes are "567" for a full gloss metallic colour, or "578" for a satin finish solid colour, there are others that I don't remember right now.

And of course the "Duco" brand had different prefixes all beginning with 2xx, and the "Dulux" brand would have different prefixes again but I can't remember what they were at the moment either?

The five digits after that are the actual colour code.

"Dulon" was Acrylic Lacquer, "Duco" was Nitrocellulose Lacquer, and "Dulux" was Enamel if I remember correctly, then there was a two-pack enamel called "ACRAN" (don't ask me what that stands for) which was like the grand daddy of modern two-packs.

As a side-note, the history of the DuPont company is an interesting read, they started out in 1802 making gunpowder, but later invented so many products we know today like neoprene, nylon, Teflon, Mylar, Kevlar, Nomex, and (unfortunately) Lycra. :angry:

The 1F072 code mentioned above is (supposed to be) the same colour but in "Berger" paint (different brand but also owned by DuPont), any Berger paint code beginning with 1 was a solid colour, any code beginning with 2 was a metallic, the second letter groups Berger colours in the spectrum (A = Violet, B = Blue, C = Green, etc.) and the last three numerals are the specific Berger colour code.

And then GMH assigned their own codes for colour / trim combinations. If this particular car is/was all one colour, that code should be "1890-" followed by the interior trim code, whereas if the car was Mandarin Red but had a white roof for example, the GMH code changes (no, I don't know what it would then be).

Also note that it should be a 1976 LX as Mandarin Red was replaced by Flamenco Red and Madeira Red (which looks more maroon to me) from 1977 onward.

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Yep, all different codes for DuPont paint products.

"568" is the "Dulon" prefix for a full gloss solid colour. Other Dulon prefixes are "567" for a full gloss metallic colour, or "578" for a satin finish solid colour, there are others that I don't remember right now.

And of course the "Duco" brand had different prefixes all beginning with 2xx, and the "Dulux" brand would have different prefixes again but I can't remember what they were at the moment either?

The five digits after that are the actual colour code.

"Dulon" was Acrylic Lacquer, "Duco" was Nitrocellulose Lacquer, and "Dulux" was Enamel if I remember correctly, then there was a two-pack enamel called "ACRAN" (don't ask me what that stands for) which was like the grand daddy of modern two-packs.

As a side-note, the history of the DuPont company is an interesting read, they started out in 1802 making gunpowder, but later invented so many products we know today like neoprene, nylon, Teflon, Mylar, Kevlar, Nomex, and (unfortunately) Lycra. :angry:

The 1F072 code mentioned above is (supposed to be) the same colour but in "Berger" paint (different brand but also owned by DuPont), any Berger paint code beginning with 1 was a solid colour, any code beginning with 2 was a metallic, the second letter groups Berger colours in the spectrum (A = Violet, B = Blue, C = Green, etc.) and the last three numerals are the specific Berger colour code.

And then GMH assigned their own codes for colour / trim combinations. If this particular car is/was all one colour, that code should be "1890-" followed by the interior trim code, whereas if the car was Mandarin Red but had a white roof for example, the GMH code changes (no, I don't know what it would then be).

Also note that it should be a 1976 LX as Mandarin Red was replaced by Flamenco Red and Madeira Red (which looks more maroon to me) from 1977 onward.

The combination code for Cotillion White over Mandarin Red was 1404.

Also AFAIK 'ACRAN' was 2-Pack Acrylic Enamel. Probably their first 2-Pack.

Dr Terry

#10 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

The combination code for Cotillion White over Mandarin Red was 1404.

Also AFAIK 'ACRAN' was 2-Pack Acrylic Enamel. Probably their first 2-Pack.

Dr Terry

1 of the first, they've been around for a long time, the early stuff had some dramas, been fine since mid 90's roughly. Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users