L34 finding correct engine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _subzero74_

_subzero74_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to ask where would be the best place to find out what is the correct engine number .

Thanks

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

Not much point if the original engine is gone is there? The chances of locating it would be next to impossible, and then the money you'd have to pay for it if you did, especially being an L34 engine, would be astronomical.

Or do you plan on stamping the number yourself??

If you're really worried about it you could search for a NASCO replacement block with an "NZ" prefix dated sometime around Q4 1974 or 1975 but good luck with that too, they will be easier to find than the original engine, but still cost a small fortune!

#3 _subzero74_

_subzero74_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:10 AM

Thanks but I should have have explained myself , the car has an engine I just would like to verify that it's the correct one for the car.

#4 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

It's not an exact science with L34s. There is no list from Holden. I can give you a rough idea of where in the engine number sequence the L34s came through, however you should try to get hold of outercontrol, (though he hasn't been visiting much lately) unclefestal34s, or Torananut, as they have been compiling lists and cross referencing engine numbers to body numbers for years. (Arrimar or anyone else want to chime in here?) Just don't expect information from them without giving them some in return. (VIN number / Body number)

You can put up a picture of the date code at the front of the block if you don't know how to decode it and I'll let you know when it was made. It will have to be mid '74 to belong to an L34. If you don't want to put your engine number up on the web, a photo of the first two letters and first two numbers will be handy as there are guys in here that can pick a restamp from a mile away. 

#5 _subzero74_

_subzero74_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for feedback

#6 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Wayne Quine ( outer control) is your best bet for info, i am sure he can help you

#7 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

if your car was first registered in Victoria the Association of Motoring Clubs (AOMC) can assist.

There is a fee for a search, but give them the engine number and they can provide the chassis number, first date of registration and rego number.

#8 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

I heard a whisper Wayne is not a well man and maybe why he hasn't been on here for a while. 

#9 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Wayne hasn't been well for a while,..i speak to him frequently,..i more than to help out providing your willing to give the right info on your car..cheers

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users