adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name:Adrian Haynes
  • Car:1974 LH

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

I am about to get my diff made for an LX Hatchback Torana and wanted to know what others have done in terms of shortening their diff and possibly slightly moving the shock brackets inwards in order to fit bigger wheels.
1440mm is standard diff width for the LX and i’ve heard a variety of different numbers people have shortened theirs to.
I am running flares and have cut the guards as far as possible to provide as much clearance as I could.
I want to run 18x11 or 18x12 on the rear so nothing insane but will need to make a bit of room.
I have 17x10 on the rear of my 4 door which has a standard length diff and flares so I don’t think should be too major an operation.
Just basically want to completely fill the rear flares with a nice dish.
I’d also be interested in offsets people have used for 11 inch wheels eg 6 inch dish, 5 inch backspace.
So after information and specifically measurements of what people have done.
Thanks in advance.

#2 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

Hi Adrian.  I assume you are talking about a 9 inch.  My hatch is not flared so can't help about length although, FWIF mine is 1404mm.  Instead of moving the shock brackets inward I had mine moved upwards 40mm (from memory) and although I have only trial fitted it all clearance appears good.  I am running commodore rear discs. Cheers Ron

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Do some enquiries on the wheels you want to buy, and make the width to suit the most common wheel offsets in the sizes you want, then you won't have any hassles later.

The best bet with the shocks is to weld a bracket to the top of the lower arm mount, lifting it up higher allows you to use HQ length dampers (just add a crush tube and use a Commodore style bracket) which makes them readily available and allows moving inboard a bit.
DSCN0022.jpg
DSCN0023-1.jpg

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

I looked at moving it to the lower arm mount but to move it enough, the shock hit on the inner wheel well. Maybe the Pedders shocks have a larger tube.  Cheers Ron

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

By running big wheels and rubber bands for tyres are you actually going to fill the flare anyway ?

Don't the wheel/tyre become very square and without the bagginess of an old school style 15 with higher profile rubber look abit... meh ?

Serious question... keen to see a set of guards actually properly filled by a modern rim

#6 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

I shortened my diff 2 inches overall, with a 11 inch rim I have a 7 inch dish, could easily go 12 inch wheel with the extra space I have inboard. But the rim is very close to the outside of the flare. If I could do it again, would only go 1 inch off the diff and run the shocks on top of the diff mounts as 76LXhatch has done. I think the wheels look better when they are in a little rather than almost touching the flare.

#7 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

I want to run 18x11 or 18x12 on the rear so nothing insane but will need to make a bit of room.
I have 17x10 on the rear of my 4 door which has a standard length diff and flares so I don’t think should be too major an operation.

A 12" will fit but its all about the B/S/offset options of the wheels you want to run. It's just doing careful measurements to workout the BS that fits your wheels.

Moving the bottom shockie mount will gain you zip for wheel clearance but can make bottom shockie removal (without removing the disc) far easier. You can't go in board too much as a 18" wheel will hit the rear part of the inner wheel well. You really need a good 25+mm clearance for movement. The other thing is ride height. If done wrong a big diameter wheel can look 4x4 funny.

Custom-Green-Camaro-Sits-On-Massive-32-i

Cameron

Edited by cameron, 03 January 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#8 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name:Adrian Haynes
  • Car:1974 LH

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

I shortened my diff 2 inches overall, with a 11 inch rim I have a 7 inch dish, could easily go 12 inch wheel with the extra space I have inboard. But the rim is very close to the outside of the flare. If I could do it again, would only go 1 inch off the diff and run the shocks on top of the diff mounts as 76LXhatch has done. I think the wheels look better when they are in a little rather than almost touching the flare.

Brett, would going 6 inch dish and 5 inch offset solve that problem?
I’m pretty keen to go 11 inch rears this time and just want to make sure they fill the flares properly but not hit on the inside anywhere.
My 4 door has 10 inch wheels with 5 inch dish, standard length diff and clears fine.
So would you suggest half inch shorter on each side of the diff for one inch shorter total (so basically 1415mm instead of 1440mm) and 11 inch wheels with 6 inch dish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users