#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

Hi all,  In my haste I bought a Holley 125 GPH fuel pump about 4 years ago (exchange rate was good at the time) for the hatch and ever since I've been trying to figure out where I might mount it.  I've read a lot of the posts on various locations and issues with height etc. and I'm still a long way off but until I do so, I can't really sort out fuel lines and such. 

A thought came to me the other day to bolt an angle iron off the mounts for the petrol tank straps (obviously the ones closest to the diff) and bolt it and any filters on that.  I don't have the diff (9 inch) in the car so not sure of clearance but I'm thinking it would be sufficient. I think doing it this way I can get reasonable height in relation to the bottom of the tank (not 100% but good enough) and it would also act as protection for the pump against and debris/stones etc.  I don't think it would interfere with the twin exhaust pipes.

My question is, has anyone else contemplated this and if so did they do it or did they find that it wasn't achievable.  Cheers Ron

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

I have an external EFI pump mounted between my drop tank and the diff, tight fit but its OK nestled into the slight recess where the spare wheel well is:
20160108_143816.jpg

However that's a small pump and the diff is a Borg Warner, to be honest I don't think you'd have much chance with a nine inch. Initially I made a bracket that mounted to the front of the strap but there wasn't enough room, my tank is bigger than standard but it uses the standard strap mounts and you can see that in relation to the diff above..

The low pressure lift pump is a Carter which hangs between the upper trailing arm and the diff centre/pinion on one side. The requirement to be low in relation to the tank is reasonably flexible for low pressure pumps, above the diff is close enough.

My exhaust also exits out the side between the floor and the trailing arm (special flat/oval tail pipes), I have a surge tank one side and charcoal canister the other hanging from the chassis rails where the exhaust would normally exit behind the diff, beside the tank. Not much room to spare!

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for that.  I'm thinking that the stock tank narrows out a bit more at the back so I it doesn't have that square back like yours, which would/should allow me to get a bit below it.  From what I can see (if I'm looking at it properly) you also have the advantage of mounting the pump horizontally, which I can't do with the Holly. I must admit though, I am a bit surprised others before me haven't contemplated/done it, which makes me think it isn't doable.  Cheers Ron

#4 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

I can't say much about an LX, but i would not mount it right up the very rear of the boot, as it only takes some bloody clown to run up your arse and you have a Molitov cocktail on wheels that just needs a spark. 

regards 

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

Sorry Jon I might not have explained it clearly.  I'm looking at locating it between the front of the tank and the diff, using the tank straps mount. Cheers Ron

#6 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

Just a thought.

As there is limited room around the tank area for an external pump. how much drama would it be to mount the pump and surge tank up the front?

#7 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Hi Rob,  I'm not that knowledgeable on these sort of things but wasn't intending on running a surge tank and I understand that electric pumps are good for pushing fuel not pulling fuel and that is why they are mounted close to the tank.  Also really trying to limit the number of additional things I need to do/include.  Cheers Ron

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

I still don't think you'll have much (possibly not enough) room in that location with a nine inch. If you're set on that then best to wait until you have the diff to check clearance.

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

As someone who has redone his fuel lines and the mounting points of various components 5 times now I would recommend leaving shit like this till last. 

I know its great to speculate and gives you something to do whilst your full of energy and excited bout the new project but dead set have all of the more important (ie have to be where they are) components sorted first. 

Cheers. 

#10 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:55 AM

There is next to no room with a 9". I went in tank pump because its just too tight and electric pumps don't like lifting fuel.

Cameron

Attached Files

Edited by cameron, 04 January 2018 - 01:27 AM.

#11 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the advices gents.  I certainly will be putting all the driveline in before I start on this but I'm one of those people that like to know (as much as possible) what the end result will be before I start.  Not something that happens in reality most times when dealing with old cars that you are modifying LOL.  The option of an in tank system is a possibility but not something I have the ability to do, so would be another cost and given I already have the pump, was hoping this may be the solution.  Maybe not.  Anyway, looks like I will be trial fitting the diff back in (had it in a couple of years ago but didn't think about this situation at the time. bugger) and seeing what it looks like. Always a few other jobs to do whilst I am navel gazing. On a completely different note, I have been repainting the inside of my tail lights with transparent paint.  Not sure how it will hold up but looks ok at present.  Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users