Coupe side pop out windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _cyclad_

_cyclad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Has anyone put window glass back into the frames on a LC LJ coupe, found a few posts that were about it but nothing specific. I have undone the 4 small phillips head screws that holds the frames together and removed the glass to clean and rust repair the frames. I removed what looks like a type of fiber tape that seals the glass into the frame, that broke into many pieces. I then checked my Rares rubber kit and there doesn't appear to be what I think we need to re assemble the glass back into the frames. I would have thought that everything we needed for window sealing was in the kit. Any past experiences and advice would be appreciated before I start re assemble, cheers Alan

#2 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

Hi Alan. I'm sure I saw a thread about this not long ago and discussion about using various items in lieu of the rubber but Can't seem to find it.  May have been in a build thread, not sure. Maybe someone else can recall it.  Cheers Ron

#3 shadey1963

shadey1963

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:5/72 LJ S 2 door Model
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

This might help out.

http://www.gmh-toran...-26#entry765840

Regards
Steve

#4 _cyclad_

_cyclad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Steve and Ron, saw that thread but hoped to find info on how others went about doing theirs. I could freight them over to the big island to get someone to do them but freight from Tassie and the chance of breakage worries me. Seeing as the frames are attracted to rust many other guys here must have tackled this task.  I find it strange that Rares supplies all the window rubbers in the kit but not these, my thoughts are that they need replacing when you are doing all the other rubbers. I better check my piston ring pack, maybe I only get 5 sets in that. Alan

#5 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...-channel-seals/

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Steve and Ron, saw that thread but hoped to find info on how others went about doing theirs. I could freight them over to the big island to get someone to do them but freight from Tassie and the chance of breakage worries me. Seeing as the frames are attracted to rust many other guys here must have tackled this task.  I find it strange that Rares supplies all the window rubbers in the kit but not these, my thoughts are that they need replacing when you are doing all the other rubbers. I better check my piston ring pack, maybe I only get 5 sets in that. Alan

They only need dismantling to fix rust or replace bad glass, otherwise best to leave them alone if they're in good nick.

Most people probably try to find windows in better condition rather than pull theirs to pieces.

Just my 5 cents

Cheers

Dave.

#7 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Indy Orange, that's the one.  Thanks Paul.  Plenty of info in there to help you Alan.  Cheers Ron

#8 _cyclad_

_cyclad_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

Isn't it always the way Spak that you read the info after you have pulled it to bits and find out you should have left well enough alone. Done now so have to fix it. Thats good info Indy Orange thank you for that, gives me something to work to. After sandblasting the frames 1 does have rust needing a bronze job so was probably better that I have dismantled them now I know what I have to work with. Thanks again guys appreciate your help, Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users