LJ Registration without all ID tags (SA)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _HDT5308_

_HDT5308_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

Hi All,

Still trying to get more info about an LJ that is meant to be for sale, yet the Lady selling it doesn't have registration papers( as it was her sons and she has no further contact with him??),no body ID plate only the one in my previous post which has the plate with: 

10/72 LJ Torana 5 seater and ALJ 14917B!

SO my question is can i get this car registered in SA?

What would the process and cost be approx?

Should this make a considerable difference to the cost of purchase?

Or anyone who has had the same problem and how they have got around it??

Cheers

Paul

NEVER LATE IN A HOLDEN V8!!!!!!!!

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:12 AM

I wouldn't be parting with a cent till the son - rightful owner - signs off on it

Last thing you want is him reporting it stolen and taking it off you

Yes you can rego a car with only the body # stamped on the guard

Tags are not required.

#3 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

Does it have number plates? If so punch them into ezy reg and see what that tells you. If it doesn't have plates I was always led to believe that you will need to put the car over the pits to have it regoed. That could be completely wrong tho.
Just buy it if the price is right. Draw up your own disposal notice and have the mother put ALL her details on it and sign it.
Even if the son by chance shows up with rego papers, registration doesn't prove ownership.

#4 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

not a problem in SA I have done several no ID or number plates  at all. get a Police inspection at Murray Bridge (about $60) check engine and chassis numbers

then go to Reg SA office and done.

If you are in country area you don't have to go to Regency

#5 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

I wouldn't be paying for it untill 100% certainty it can be put in your name.

Should be able to register with just chassis & engine numbers once it's been checked but yeah you'd want to lowball the offer price for loss of tags + rego identificaton & ownership hassles

#6 _HDT5308_

_HDT5308_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

Does it have number plates? If so punch them into ezy reg and see what that tells you. If it doesn't have plates I was always led to believe that you will need to put the car over the pits to have it regoed. That could be completely wrong tho.
Just buy it if the price is right. Draw up your own disposal notice and have the mother put ALL her details on it and sign it.
Even if the son by chance shows up with rego papers, registration doesn't prove ownership.

No plates and not sure whats going on with the mother selling the car,it all sounds a bit odd.

Its been sitting in her carport for around 7 years and all i have is a couple of average photos.I reckon her son has either died or disappeared or something drastic from what i have picked up.Anyway looks like the seats and interior are pretty stuffed,though the motor and gearbox are out of the car and looks like everything else has been put inside because it  had been pulled down to a shell.

the interior hadn't been pulled out, though the petrol tank, rear glass,tailshaft are all parts that are sitting inside .Passenger door is off and looks like the pillar and sill are in reasonable condition.Actually both doors are off and there are two bumpers inside also.Looks like he had started the work in the boot as it is in grey primer.All glass is out of car as it looks like he had pretty much pulled it down

and then started on some repairs in the boot and then something happened to him??Then it looks like all the parts that were pulled

out were pilled inside the car(my guess anyway!!!!!)

It would be good to catch up in Littlehampton one arvo if your up for it?I am normally there around 4.30pm wish

#7 _HDT5308_

_HDT5308_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

not a problem in SA I have done several no ID or number plates  at all. get a Police inspection at Murray Bridge (about $60) check engine and chassis numbers

then go to Reg SA office and done.

If you are in country area you don't have to go to Regency

Thanks limo,sounds all too easy!! Where are the engine numbers for a 10/72 LJ as from what i read on another post there was a change that took place around that time? Which guard is the number on??Drivers side??

CHEERS

#8 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

It would be good to catch up in Littlehampton one arvo if your up for it?I am normally there around 4.30pm wish

Have to take a rain check for now mate. I have the motor out for the third faaaarkin time in 12 months chasing oil pressure issues this time. On the plus side I'm putting a new cam in (Clive 191a) which should be pretty good fun I'd imagine.

#9 _HDT5308_

_HDT5308_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

Have to take a rain check for now mate. I have the motor out for the third faaaarkin time in 12 months chasing oil pressure issues this time. On the plus side I'm putting a new cam in (Clive 191a) which should be pretty good fun I'd imagine.

No worries, i totally understand and good luck with the oil pressure issues!

Excuse my ignorance but is that a brand of a hot cam(Clive191a)

Would love to see your Torana's sometime?

HDT5308

#10 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

Mildly warm. 262 degrees duration @ 0.050", 0.54" lift, 106 degree LSA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users