StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

Stephen there was a rumour going around that the first VE SS would have the antenna tap the rear window around 240kmh.

What kind of antenna did you have? lol. Are you one of these country folk with antennas so huge they need cables like Centrepoint Tower for support? hahaha

I've got bad news for you: the laws are loosely written and the cops decided "ANY break of traction is a burnout".

Yeah, in the cops eyes you're guilty till proven innocent, they just want the arrest. You then have to front up to a judge to say you're innocent till proven guilty; it's all a scam to keep the legal profession in jobs. We're heading the way of the US where prisoners are needed to keep the gaols full in order to keep them profitable, militarised police, etc.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 07 February 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#27 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

I've got bad news for you: the laws are loosely written and the cops decided "ANY break of traction is a burnout".

A while ago someone posted on here about a guy who had his car impounded for three months because he had a LSD and his tyre squeaked while going around a roundabout.

Pretty simple really. If you drive like a dickhead you deserve to be punished. The rules for the road are there for peoples safety.

As far as the guy who had his car impounded. I bet there's more to the story than just a little tyre squeak as no cop I know would impound a car for just that.

#28 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

Pretty simple really. If you drive like a dickhead you deserve to be punished. The rules for the road are there for peoples safety.

As far as the guy who had his car impounded. I bet there's more to the story than just a little tyre squeak as no cop I know would impound a car for just that.

And I bet "no cop you know" would write a ticket for being 2k's over the limit?

Cops are revenue raisers first and foremost. That became clear to me back when I was a P-plater. frOckers would tailgate me, trying to scare me into going faster so they could write me a ticket. It didn't work because I knew what they were doing. They don't give a damn about "safety" - they just want to book people so they can look good.

I grew up in Tasmania and when  I was on P-plates I had an 80km\hr limit. I had pigs sit right on my tail on a highway, trying to pressure me - then overtake me on a BLIND CORNER because they got bored. Don't try and kid me that they care about "saving lives".

#29 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

That became clear to me back when I was a P-plater. frOckers would tailgate me, trying to scare me into going faster so they could write me a ticket.

They were doing that to P-platers back in the 80's too. It was as if they wanted P-platers to lose their licence especially if they had a car that looked modified. The tailgating thing was to keep you in their sights while they radio'd in your number plates to check for warrants and receive your driving history or criminal record. In my case it'd come up clean so they'd keep following till they could spot something to pull me over for and it'd usually be for something inane like a friend in the back seat had his hand out the window holding the roof. Later he reveals that was the reason I got pulled over saying, he's not holding it up to stop it falling down from all the rust is he?

They looked for any excuse to pull me over so they could go through the car, question me where I was going, see who was in the car with me and have a peek under the bonnet. One of them shoved the battery just to make sure it was secured down; trolling for defects.

As I got into my twenties it happened a lot less and driving my brother's Laser I got pulled over a couple of times after the cops took a look at me; I'd say it was the long hair and they suspected I was up to no good.

There were a couple of other times they'd get me on little things, indicating too late, exhaust was a little smokey, accelerating through an orange light but without breaking the speed limit. On all these occasions mentioned, I got let off without a ticket and that was the good thing about getting pulled over, you get a chance to redeem yourself when the cop saw you had decent character and gave them no lip. You can't do that with a camera.

My idiotic friends were always getting fined and they'd pretty much start arguing with the cops the moment they got pulled over or deny they did anything wrong, when they knew they did.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 08 February 2018 - 02:57 AM.

#30 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Steve TPF Ive been pretty lucky with my dealings with cops over the years I guess. I put it down to my attitude when pulled over. A person will have some discretion, whereas a camera doesnt. Ive been let off numerous times. Ive also paid a good number of infringements. I have talked to people who have been booked for seemingly minor stuff. And talking to them I dont wonder why. If you treat a cop with respect when pulled over you have a chance of being warned. If you go off like an idiot you will be booked. And the cop is likely to spend a bit more time finding other stuff to ping you for. Ruts on the forum said years ago he had pretty much stopped giving out warnings.Whether you are nice or not. He doesnt know if you have been warned before. Pretty sure a lot of cops would be doing much the same these days. Ive never been pulled over, apart from RBT, when I havent been doing something wrong. Some of the local young blokes do get pulled over regularly though. But P plates, a car full of idiots, and rear wheels not matching the front are pretty obvious signs to anyone that you have been up to something. Where I live now is near a local shopping centre, with a skate park close by. Pretty much every weekend there is a car pulled over out the front of my place. P plater with a car full that had come from the skate park late at night. And the young ones dont have enough brains to work out why they are targets unfortunately. And they all get out of the car with attitude, which isnt helped by their mates giving attitude from inside the car either. I reckon the cops might even be playing games with them. If you are breaking the law you know you are. If you give the cops attitude expect some back. The power of the pen is mighty.

Oh Stephen TPF I replied before I read the next page.

Seriously the attitude you showed in your posts if given to a cop will result in a tacket every time. And possibly an extra one or two.

Thats the way it goes.

Regardless of what your opinions are, they are doing the job they are employed to do.

And if you think that is primarily giving out tickets, then you would make their job easier.

Edited by Rockoz, 08 February 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#31 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

Stephen SLR

Standard VE rear mount aerial.

Tap tap tap

#32 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

rear wheels not matching the front are pretty obvious signs to anyone that you have been up to something.

That's rather unfair, I had Commo stockies on the rear when I converted to a B&W diff, some hoon on the side of the road was yelling at me to spin it, I nodded my head, nope! His response was, c'mon you have a stockie on the back.

I'm either naive or showing my age but I actually didn't know that was a thing, lol. Back in the day you just spun whatever wheels you had on the car, I don't recall anyone changing wheels to do that specifically.

s

#33 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

Huge market down here for stockies.

Even the tyre places are mounting up worn out tyres for the idiots

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Huge market down here for stockies.

Even the tyre places are mounting up worn out tyres for the idiots

I was able to get them really cheap from a car yard. They slap on mags to help sell their cars quicker and sell the stockies at throw-away prices.

s

#35 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

RE the VE aerial. The first time I heard that noise I thought a tyre was delaminating. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

#36 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

I grew up in Tasmania and when  I was on P-plates I had an 80km\hr limit. I had pigs sit right on my tail on a highway, trying to pressure me - then overtake me on a BLIND CORNER because they got bored. Don't try and kid me that they care about "saving lives".

Steve surely you knew of the old Tassie get off the provisional licence trick in the 80's. Remember they used to be a paper licence marked provisional in a plastic wallet. If you went in to the transport and got a duplicate licence it wasn't marked provisional just had your DOB on it at a quick glance it looked like a full licence they would only know that it was provisional by doing the maths with your birth date. Plus no computers in those days to check !!

I got on to this trick straight away and the "P" plates went in the bin !!!!  :D  :D

Edited by CI 0308, 08 February 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#37 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

Speed limits are an arbitrary number based on a lower common denominator, taking into account no prevailing factors.

Unless you own a Bentley and can prove it was 'safe at that speed' (later in court) you have a snowflakes chance of getting past the current point-and-click mentality of todays law enforcement.

Sheeple will say if you don't speed you've got nothing to worry about baaahbaahbaah......... having drunk mightily from the KoolAid, and no inkling that speeding is simply subjective, as any mathematician or sociologist can tell you.

I have been booked many times - usually fairly. I have been let off many times - usually with fairness of discretion.

I can still drive at 100km/h down a dirt road, with inches to spare if a car comes the other way, perfectly legally, in many places that I go to regularly. I have had passengers cry out of fear, some in sheer panic. Screw them. The gumbiment said it was Ok.

Truck drivers are getting crucified for red light infringements, as the lights are out of sync with 20+ tonnes of mass that hits a point of no return - not unsafe to continue on - but damn dangerous to try and actually stop. The alternative is to stick to a 40-50km/h limit at all times when 100metres from a red light..........

It causes traffic chaos - I tried it in a Mack last weekend in an experiment, and pissed off a lot of drivers behind me. But I didn't upset the metal policeman into a flashing frenzy and lighten my wallet or points quota either.

Most annoying though are the Sheeple who want Nanny to hold their hand and think for them.

Ok - tell me how I am wrong

#38 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

Unless you own a Bentley and can prove it was 'safe at that speed' (later in court)

I can't see that working in any court, if a judge lets you off it's due to previous good behaviour. That defence would encourage more people to buy expensive cars in order to break laws. We all know it's one law for the rich but they will never make it that obvious. I recall that was actually tried when one guy took his mum's BMW M3 for a burst hitting excessive speeds and tried to use that defence, I don't know the outcome but I doubt he won the case.

Also, it's not only the car, it's our poor roads that aren't built for high speeds.  Although our highways may look like the Autobahn, they are only one concrete slab on sand, whereas the Autobahn is multiple slabs on a deep base of crushed limestone. Joints are closer allowing for more expansion, etc.

The Germans pay twice as much for petrol and much of their petrol tax goes into high quality roads & regular road maintenance; if any irregularity is found during inspections, the whole area of road around the damaged section is replaced.

Our petrol taxes; who knows where that ends up? It seems some potholes aren't filled till they become dangerous and they're only patched up leaving a rough surface.

Speed limits are an arbitrary number based on a lower common denominator, taking into account no prevailing factors.

I've always said, it's not the speed that kills, it's either driver error, inexperience or mechanical failure. We're not all race drivers so we have to set the limit to where most drivers can comfortably drive without much risk.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 08 February 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#39 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

I can't see that working in any court,

s

It already has.

#40 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

It already has.

Reference?

I assume there's more to it, otherwise everyone driving Bentleys would speed at whim and use that excuse.

s

#41 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

It was years ago. I remember Street Machine magazine having kittens about it because there would be no way you would get away with that if you were in an A9X, which was also designed and built to be driven quickly, safely.

#42 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

https://www.dailytel...cdc88fd56e2c11a

Murphy successfully helped Singleton avoid a fine and criminal conviction when Singleton was caught driving his Bentley at 160km/h.

Murphy argued the design of Singleton’s $600,000 car meant it could safely travel at 50km/h over the speed limit.

Edited by Shiney005, 09 February 2018 - 08:42 AM.

#43 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

And I bet "no cop you know" would write a ticket for being 2k's over the limit?

Cops are revenue raisers first and foremost. That became clear to me back when I was a P-plater. frOckers would tailgate me, trying to scare me into going faster so they could write me a ticket. It didn't work because I knew what they were doing. They don't give a damn about "safety" - they just want to book people so they can look good.

Your right mate, no cop I know would give you a hard time for being a few kms over if you didn't give them an attitude.

When I was a P plater I also used to get pulled over at least a couple of times a week. It was always because of a license or roadworthy check. Back then I hated Police too but not because of them always pulling me over but due to the fact I was bought up with a Dad who hated Police in general. As I got older I realised that they are only doing their job and if you make it more difficult for them then they'll only make it more difficult for you. Show them respect and you're more likely to be on your way. Police, Ambo's and fire services do a very difficult job, particularly these days as crime is becoming way out of control here. 

So remember this. If you're ever in trouble and need assistance who are the first people you'll contact for help???

Edited by LHSL308, 09 February 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#44 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Murphy argued the design of Singleton’s $600,000 car meant it could safely travel at 50km/h over the speed limit.

That's insane. There is a law for a reason and if someone is found guilty breaking the law then the judge is required to issue a sentence that lies between the minimum and maximum attached to that law. I guess the minimum would be letting a person off with a warning?

Further down in that article, "A little song and dance from the right lawyer can work wonders when the odds are stacked against you."

I imagine he's forked out thousands to swing the odds in his favour. There must be some unwritten rule where if you pay your lawyer (or judge) significantly more than the fine you get let off, celebrities with high profile lawyers seem to get away with a lot more than Joe Bloggs.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 09 February 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#45 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Don't get too wrapped up in what the law says. As someone who deals with investigations that can go before a judge we have been told on several occasions that the result has more to do with the performance of your lawyer on the day than what you think the law implies. Hence why the cashed up crims hire the best lawyers.

#46 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Stephen SLR

Surprising you mention the cost of the lawyer.

2 blokes I know, both from the same town, both got done for PCA the same day. They even had the same reading.

Their driving records were pretty even as well.

They went to court the same day.

Both got 6 months suspension.

The only difference was the fine.

The guy that had a solicitor had his fine reduced by 600 bucks compared to the guy who defended himself.

The guy with the solicitor paid 600 bucks for the legal fees.

Coincidence?

#47 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

I agree dave,Since i have moved to queensland,i do see a mercedes camera van every morning,coming down the bruce hwy,about 4.45am,going south,and the same on the way home,going north.And seen them all around the city too,revenue raising,cashing in,squeezing all motorists for every penny.

#48 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

I do see a mercedes camera van every morning, squeezing all motorists for every penny.

These guys are the biggest scabs, they're not even police but contractors that get probably get a cut out of every ticket.

As they say, if you don't speed you have nothing to worry about but at least you can reason with a cop that pulls you over.

s

#49 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

4.4 million speeding speeding tickets in WA in 2016 - 2017 means around 4 million people who think the speed limit is set too low. Maybe it's time the laws were changed.

#50 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

Jordan Peterson has some interesting views, he says that the US armed forces won't induct anyone with an IQ less than 83, that is 10% of the population.

Perhaps there is a minority that can't be trusted with higher speed limits, meaning we all have to drive to road speeds that suit an IQ of 83 or less.

It is crazy how slow some of our freeway speed limits are when you factor in the risks of fatigue and tiredness, I think some sections (not all) could be lifted to provide safety and economic benefits. Works elsewhere in the world ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users