StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

I think some sections (not all) could be lifted to provide safety and economic benefits. Works elsewhere in the world ...

The speed limit is limited (excuse the pun) by our road conditions. No you cannot compare our highways to the Autobahn, see my comment above:

http://www.gmh-toran...-2#entry1013847

s

#52 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Especially fatigue management. I find that 110kph is too slow to hold my concentration on roads like the Great Northern Highway.

#53 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

Long, wide and straight or relatively straight roads are boring as bat shit at 100kmh

#54 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

The speed limit is limited (excuse the pun) by our road conditions. No you cannot compare our highways to the Autobahn, see my comment above:

http://www.gmh-toran...-2#entry1013847

s

Wasn't referring to an unlimited application.  I think 130-140 km/hr is worth a trial where the sightlines / road surface / compliance with road design laws etc. reasonably allow.

#55 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

I think 130-140 km/hr is worth a trial where the sightlines / road surface / compliance with road design laws etc.

I remember when the standard highway speed was 120 so yeah, 130 wouldn't be too bad.

s

#56 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

And don't forget that the road toll for the Stuart Highway went up when they reduced the limit to 110 from 130.

#57 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

Couple of days ago there was an article in the paper about how SA's road "blackspots" weren't getting the funding needed to fix them up. What gives? Speed cameras rake in hundreds of millions every year - if they are really about "safety" then shouldn't all that money be going toward safety initiatives and improved roads? If all camera revenue went to roadworks then we'd have the best and safest roads in the frOcking world (except for the German AutoBahns which are far safer despite their higher speed limits...)

And at the same time, pollies are promising a whopping FIVE CCTV cameras in a particular area of Adelaide to deal with street violence.

Yep, it's all about revenue safety. Thank God we have speed cameras on every highway to catch people doing 3km/hr over the limit... 

#58 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:49 AM

we'd have the best and safest roads in the frOcking world (except for the German AutoBahns which are far safer despite their higher speed limits...)

The Autobahns are built much better than our roads We have only one concrete slab on sand, the Autobahn is multiple slabs on a deep base of crushed limestone. Joints are closer allowing for more expansion, etc.

The Germans pay twice as much for petrol and much of their petrol tax goes into their high quality roads & regular road maintenance; if any irregularity is found during inspections, the whole area of road around the damaged section is replaced whereas we throw in some cold mix into only the pothole.

s

#59 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

They are also profit collectors for the companies contracted to operate them.

I'd be sussing them out. Parasitical corporate skullduggery is the bane of capitalist democracy. and always has been. 

#60 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

The Autobahns are built much better than our roads We have only one concrete slab on sand, the Autobahn is multiple slabs on a deep base of crushed limestone. Joints are closer allowing for more expansion, etc.

The Germans pay twice as much for petrol and much of their petrol tax goes into their high quality roads & regular road maintenance; if any irregularity is found during inspections, the whole area of road around the damaged section is replaced whereas we throw in some cold mix into only the pothole.

s

Exactly my point.

Oz roads are shit - and they aren't going to get any better. Our Governments don't want to spend money on better roads. 

#61 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Exactly my point.

Oz roads are shit - and they aren't going to get any better. Our Governments don't want to spend money on better roads. 

So are you prepared to pay an extra 50 cents a litre to fund all these new roads as this is double the current duty....plus the extra GST because im not.

Out of interest sake its the tax payer plus additional loans who funds all  government expenduture.

#62 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

So are you prepared to pay an extra 50 cents a litre to fund all these new roads as this is double the current duty....plus the extra GST because im not.

Out of interest sake its the tax payer plus additional loans who funds all  government expenditure.

I'm not prepared to pay that much for an Autobahn in Aus.

Petrol is currently $2.18 per litre in Germany.

https://www.globalpe...asoline_prices/

s

#63 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

Out of interest sake its the tax payer plus additional loans who funds all  government expenduture.

Not all roads have to be built to that standard. And yes, I'm well aware that the taxpayer is the one who funds everything - I don't believe that money drops out of the sky.

IF we would actually have decent roads like the Germans do and IF we were allowed to drive at the same speeds then sure, I'd be willing to pay for the privilege - as long as that extra tax was actually going to road construction.

In any case, my initial point was that all the revenue raised by our so-called "safety cameras" does not seem to be spent on actual safety.

#64 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

Our main problem is that Australia has a large land mass and low population unlike European countries. What dollars we spend have to go a lot further.

#65 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:12 PM

my initial point was that all the revenue raised by our so-called "safety cameras" does not seem to be spent on actual safety.

Yeah, I'd like to know where that money ends up. If you are booked for driving, the money should go to something associated with driving; hospital wards that deal with car accidents, better roads, etc.

Our main problem is that Australia has a large land mass and low population unlike European countries. What dollars we spend have to go a lot further.

Yep, here is Germany superimposed over Aus.

3819-german-australian-connections-netwo

We'd have to pay what: $50 per litre to get the Autobahn around Aus.?

s

#66 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

It's true, oz covers a huge area and that doesn't help. And we certainly aren't going to get Autobahn-quality roads for interstate routes

^^^ It's the "plus additional loans" that should be of concern here. The fact that Oz national debt keeps increasing means... (pause for drumroll...) we aren't paying enough tax. Currently, Oz is doing the equivalent of living off a credit card - and that can't last forever.

It's also true that our dipshit politicians have sold off a bunch of revenue-producing assets (Telstra, Medibank Private, Commonwealth Bank just to name a few) which leaves us poorer in the long run. It's also true that our immigration policy is allowing in a large number of people who are a drain on the economy. A case in point: parent visas.

https://www.macrobus...ful-extremists/

… parent visas, which provide a short-term benefit to the budget via visa charge income, but impose very large costs in the longer term through their impacts on expenditure on health and aged care, and social transfers. In previous work, the Commission estimated the budgetary costs associated with the 2015-16 parent visa intake alone to be $2.88 billion in present value terms over the lifetimes of the visa holders. By comparison, the revenue collected from these visa holders was only $345 million.

So, in return for a one-off payment of $345 million for the yearly intake, Oz gets saddled with a long-term obligation of nearly $2.9 BILLION. That's a net cost of $2.5 BILLION per year. I wonder how much road you could build with that? Or how much you could do for our aged pensioners who have contributed taxes for their entire lives?

#67 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

This county is in for a long hard ride in years to come.  Get rid of your debt folks :-)

#68 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

The fact that Aus. national debt keeps increasing means... (pause for drumroll...) we aren't paying enough tax.

The fact that Aus. national debt keeps increasing means... (pause for drumroll...) our government is overspending and frittering away our money on useless extravagances - politicians perks, paypackets & retirement, tearing down new stadiums to rebuild stadiums we don't need, etc.

Fixed!

s

#69 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

The fact that Aus. national debt keeps increasing means... (pause for drumroll...) our government is overspending and frittering away our money on useless extravagances - politicians perks, paypackets & retirement, tearing down new stadiums to rebuild stadiums we don't need, etc.

Fixed!

s

Well there's that too - and don't forget the White Elephant Desalination plants!

#70 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

don't forget the White Elephant Desalination plants!

lol, I worked for the company that built them. At the time we were going through a long dry spell and we had water restrictions. I recall a neighbour telling me off for washing my car .... on the grass too. It was at my sister's place in the Illawarra, they told me l there were rangers going around fining people for hosing down their driveways, washing their cars, etc.

There was also a govt. scheme that offered reductions for installing a rainwater tank in your home, my sister got one which is a rather ugly looking thing on the side of the house so large it blocks light coming in through the garage window.

s

#71 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

Funny you mention the rainwater tanks Stephen.

Mate of mine had always had one on his house.

He made his morning cup of tea every morning from water from the tank.

Council found out about it somehow and he had to remove it.

Was against their health regulations or something.

Yet being a rural area there were houses that relied on tank water only.

As he had town water, they had a problem with it somehow.

Few years later they were encouraging the tanks.

#72 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Few years later they were encouraging the tanks.

Jobs for the boys.

Although there was a cashback for the tank and solar hot water, I believe my sister got ripped off with the deal. My mum even made extra lunch for them.

The plumber was such a shonk, they called him back years later to replace the faulty pump charging around $600. I did a search and found they replaced the good one with some cheap Chinese crap from Bunnings that was selling for $160.

s

#73 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Jobs for the boys.

Although there was a cashback for the tank and solar hot water, I believe my sister got ripped off with the deal. My mum even made extra lunch for them.

The plumber was such a shonk, they called him back years later to replace the faulty pump charging around $600. I did a search and found they replaced the good one with some cheap Chinese crap from Bunnings that was selling for $160.

s

There are shonks around thats for sure.

However.

I do repair work on commercial catering equipment as part of what I do.

30k plus for an oven type of stuff.

One of the models of oven I work on has a small pump in it.

Trade price from the OEM is around 600 bucks.

I can buy the identical pump from a different supplier for 60 bucks.

One of the advantages of doing some research I guess.

But I would never replace the original pump with a knock off and charge the full price.

Its all about maximising returns in business.

It did however take time to search and find the cheaper alternative

#74 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Jobs for the boys.

s

Heaps of people were getting ripped off by unscrupulous businesses, contractors and tradies.

As soon as a govt gives rebates on a particular item then the price of that item will invariably increase by at least the value of the rebate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users