235/60/15 under lj, no tubs

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Finally got my hand on a 2nd hand set of et streets to test fit, short answer yes they fit. long answer they rub when turning hard and are very very close to the guard, mind you these are bald ones so i would think a new set would rub all the time.

lj 4 door.v8, Standard height king springs, Im not sure how much its been shorted but it runs a 9inch, rubber bushes on lower boxed trailing arms, standard upper arms and 15x8 wheels, 3.5inch backspace with 225x6015 for street dutys and they are fine with no rubbing. ive done a bit of reading around and come up with a few questions.

will 15x7 rims offer any better clearance wise, the 15x7 only come with 3.5inch backspacing as well.

seen some talks of spring spacer to bring the rear up, while this is the cheapest and easiest im not sure if i want to use that as a permanent solution unless someone whos done it can convince me other wise.

I will be putting a spacer under the springs to start off with which bring me to the next question of how big of a spacer=how much lift? and spacer material? i do have access to a lathe to make up some alloy/steel ones if that is suitable material.

Im in sydney, if anyone has 15x7 wheels with 235/60/15 tyres on them i would love to come test fit them to my car.

not sure why it posted the same pic twice, lost a bit of paint where it was scrubbing, and yes there's more clearance on one side then the other partly due to driveway on a slant.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by brendan_h, 07 February 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#2 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

Not a quick fix but I'd rather have diff moved forward to centre wheel in middle....looks better than extending rear of wheel arch...might still be scrubbing of sparewheel section.

Either adjustable top arms & shorter lower arms or diff brackets rejigged to suit.

Could probably get another set of springs heated up & reset or some 2nd hand jobs off forum

#3 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

unfortunately cars been painted recently so no more body work now. doing things backwards here :fool:

im wondaring if adjustable top arms would pull the diff slightly forward helping me, still need to check pinions angles too.

#4 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

The lower adjustable rod arms are to
centralise the wheel in centre of wheel arch,
the top arms are to set pinion angle..

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 07 February 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#5 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

The lower adjustable rod arms are to
centralise the wheel in centre of wheel arch,
the top arms are to set pinion angle..

i understand this, but if the pinion was pointing skyward, wouldn't it pivot it slightly forward when correcting it? i dont think there are any adjustable lower arms that use the standard shock and spring setup.

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Nah lower arm will keep wheel in same spot...pinion angle swivels off it hence adjustable top arms to correct that kind of thing.

About $900 from Pro9 adjustable top & lower arms with spring perch from pics

Macdonald Bros sell adjustable top arms cheaper but lower arms non-adjustable look more d.i.y/custom work.

You'd have to weigh up what's better value buying adjustable arms or getting your diff rejigged...other thing to consider is if your axles have a lot of spline left look at prices to narrow housing.

15x7 with 3.5" BS will increase sidewall with & also push further into wheelarch. 

#7 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Is your first pic is on the
ground.2nd jacked up.i didnt look at your
pics thoroughly as it appears theres no room
to move forward going by 2nd pic.
With the lowers i gather seem you have
original mounting points for the spring,the
top mount where the spring is
bolted ,you would have to redrill hole
forward so spring will be vertical and not
on a slight lean ...John Lang from pro 9
has the lowers..

Damn gtr 😃 you bet me to it
Attached File  259-350x350-392442 (1).jpg   9.4K   12 downloads

#8 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

Is your first pic is on the
ground.2nd jacked up.i didnt look at your
pics thoroughly as it appears theres no room
to move forward going by 2nd pic.
With the lowers i gather seem you have
original mounting points for the spring,the
top mount where the spring is
bolted ,you would have to redrill hole
forward so spring will be vertical and not
on a slight lean ...John Lang from pro 9
has the lowers..

Damn gtr you bet me to it
attachicon.gif259-350x350-392442 (1).jpg

both pics are on the ground, and yes there isnt much room to move the diff forward at all, however it may be enough as i dont think ill need much.

as for redrilling the spring forward at the top how does that work with the retaining nut? (might be totally wrong, cant remember how the springs went in)

had a look at pro 9. $895 for adjustable upper and lower arms sounds pretty good and would be within budget. would need to sus out to make sure the diff coming forward will help me.

Edited by brendan_h, 07 February 2018 - 06:11 PM.

#9 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

I dunno dude lol.thats just me thinking if
the wheel was moved forward youd think you'd
have to do same to top unless it was only 5mm
or so..

Just a hole really with a retaining lug on
the spring metal plate.

This is lc but lj would have the lug
Attached File  post-45764-0-57937300-1431235330 (1).jpg   88.76K   10 downloads

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 07 February 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#10 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

i think 5-10mm is all i need.

#11 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

Id give John Lang (pro 9) a buzz and run it
past him and see what he says..great bloke..

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

*All 3 pics look like rear section on wheelarch to me.

Kind of think 5-10mm  forward should be ok...even then should be some leeway to allow for it.

Don't forget usually when fit rear springs they're bolted to chassis rail then you raise diff in an arc to fit & tighten down those spring clamps that hold them into place.

Probably want 10-15mm clearance at rear as radials grow a little but also when you nail throttle rear end will squat.

Didn't account for rear squat with softer settings when did mine so it rubbed then really wished wheel was centred...didn't help that diff joint made b/w diff too wide lol

Do you know how much spline section is left on your axles?

If still got heaps of spline left can shave them down...saves heaps of coin if want housing narrowed down more.

Edited by gtrboyy, 07 February 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

Might have to put those Pro9 arms on shopping list for gtr.

Would prefer softer bushes than nolathane for street car.

Edited by gtrboyy, 07 February 2018 - 07:55 PM.

#14 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

If i get the diff shorted it will be 15mm at the most., not sure its even posible to take 20mm off as i think the hub adaptors? Slides over the tubes. Would be a prick of a job. Will need to sus it out too as well as spline length. At a guess would you know what it would be worth to shorten it a little more?
I was thinking poly bushes would help too stop the diff moving around.
You think diff forward 10mm will be ok without touching the springs?
Need to weigh up if its even going to be worth it, which is why i asked about spacers and different wheels as cheap way out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by brendan_h, 07 February 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#15 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

It's hard to quote without fabshop actually looking at car in person then working out what can be reused...also quite easy to get carried away.

Reckon new standard housing with new mounts,bearing ends etc anywhere between 1.5-3k....using your centre/axles/brakes helps a great deal....most quotes for 31spline trutrac & housing 5k more or less...rough quotes I've gotten for mine

Cheap way out just means you'll just have to redo it all later & spend up twice...couple of good fabshops in Blacktown & Penrith areas worth having a chat to then decide best way to go with your budget.

#16 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:06 AM

It's hard to quote without fabshop actually looking at car in person then working out what can be reused...also quite easy to get carried away.

Reckon new standard housing with new mounts,bearing ends etc anywhere between 1.5-3k....using your centre/axles/brakes helps a great deal....most quotes for 31spline trutrac & housing 5k more or less...rough quotes I've gotten for mine

Cheap way out just means you'll just have to redo it all later & spend up twice...couple of good fabshops in Blacktown & Penrith areas worth having a chat to then decide best way to go with your budget.

I know what will happen. Go in for a simple diff shorten. Leave with coil over rear end and full tubs.
I really dont think a diff shorten would be within budget. Alot of money just to run for tyres.

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Or just raise with reset springs to fit 235 radial...do convertor & gears,look at rear end again when tired of powerskids .

Shiftright have good reputation & well priced.

#18 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Or just raise with reset springs to fit 235 radial...do convertor & gears,look at rear end again when tired of powerskids .

Shiftright have good reputation & well priced.

Going to try the spacers first see where that brings me.
I was tossing up the idea of 2 sets of wheels, you dont think a 15x7 rim would help any?
These mts have amazing traction, no more 2nd gear power skids. 1st was still a bit slipery.

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

You realistically have two choices.

1. Jack it up high and run stiff springs.

2. Bite the bullet and mini tub it.

#20 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

Rodtech here in SA sell adjustable upper arms and were cheaper than all the others....

#21 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Larger rims makes sidewall wider & less floaty at high speeds...by looking at pics 15x7 probably have rim & tyre sticking outside wheelarch.

Can see that tyre rubs enough to burn paint off & scuff tyres where sill blackout line is.

Jack it up & leave it on 15x6 rims with 235/60 untill you're sick of it.

Edited by gtrboyy, 08 February 2018 - 08:17 PM.

#22 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

runs 15x8 rims. half of that mark from lost paint is me getting carried away with the hammer.
Probably a good idea, jack it up and leave it for now. Though i was thinking about having a 2nd set of wheels for the strip, which is why i was asking about rim width and offset.

#23 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

Maybe put some steel rims with modified offset from morton & may for drag tyres if leaving diff alone.

As Rexy said end up with 2 options or just end up spending more money & wish you'd bit the bullet first time lol.

Nearly regretted v8 conversion in the lc gtr untill did rear end on it...totally changed the car & it was just 195i/getrag/3.9 lsd b/w

#24 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

i think it was them who repaired an alloy wheel for me on my daily. I will looking into some steel rims now and working out offsets. only need to lose 10mm or so, a 3inch backspace 8inch rim would probably be suitable for the strip. A quick look around i could probably get an off the shelf 15x7 with an offset to bring the wheel inwards more. 8inch would be custom.  how much of a difference stability wise would a 7 to 8 inch rim be?
what did you do to the rear end of yours?

Edited by brendan_h, 08 February 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#25 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

No.2 Bit the bullet!!!!

Typical overkill with minitubs,coilovers,b/w 3.9 lsd & rear discs rolling on 18x8 granges with sticky s03 tyres...once got settings right it hooked up hard but diff joint screwed up diff width(too wide) & tyre rubbed same spot as yours when it squatted under power...could take 265/50 or maybe scrape 255/60 with stock wheel arcg

You'd get same result with narrowed diff,adjustable top arms & minor metalwork to inner wheelwells & it'd still look standard.

Edited by gtrboyy, 08 February 2018 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users