2018 Phillip Island Classic

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

We headed down to the island in a bit of a rush, I wasn't plannin on racing there this year however an opportunity came up and we took it. My father purchased a group nc Torana at the end of last year. It was originally built in Sydney in the late 90s, very well constructed car and it had all the right gear. So he purchased the car, we took the car out for a shakedown before Bathurst and it performed reasonably good. So we looked to gain a late entry for the Island Classic, got one and headed down there. Qualifying went ok, I got stuck behind a Mustang and by the time I got past my tyres had gone to mush. Qualified 7th from 17 cars, so race 1 was ok and finished in 7th place. Race 2 was going well until I struck some trouble, I was running in 6th place when I had a diff go bang !! Race 3 I started from the rear of the grid, I got a ripping start and made my way through to 7th place by turn 1. I looked up and saw cars going everywhere at the southern loop, I avoided the carnage and got through to 6th place. After the restart I pushed hard and got a few more spots up to 4th. Race 4, started off the 2nd row and got a good start was putting some pressure on 3rd place and he made a mistake coming out of Siberia, pushed hard to keep a gap to 4th place and finished in 3rd. Race 5, started behind Paul Stubber and Dave Reynolds, I really needed these guys to make a mistake for me to win (which didn't happen) The race was going well until I started to hear a nasty noise in the rear again !!! It was becoming too bad so I had to pull in whilst running in 3rd place. Wasn't the way to finish the weekend but we now know the car is good and we will bolt some new tyres on, fix the diff troubles and drive the wheels off it.

Videos will be up in a week or so.

#2 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Sound like an up and down weekend, but well done.

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:43 PM

Pretty impressive in a new car Chris..........and with a few dramas thrown in. 

Well done.!!...looking forward to the vids!

#4 71Ranger

71Ranger

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Car:71 LC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hi Chris, I watched go around in race 4, your car looked really quick. Had a word to your dad prior to the race, areal nice fella. Hope you enjoy the car. Cheers Brian

#5 Adam77

Adam77

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

Hello Chris, Was there Saturday car looks great love the red and white paint I went to say hello but you were busy under the car.You are already doing good lap times,well done mate.Adam

#6 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Great work Chris. With a bit of time I reckon you will be nudging Stubber out of the way mate. Keep it up. 

#7 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:18 PM

Ive got a few photos Chris, once I go through them all ill post them

#8 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

Race 1) https://youtu.be/IIihB1Qoquc
Race 2) https://youtu.be/DshI5BWedw0
Race 3) https://youtu.be/ZCUuEY_TDJ8

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

wow...a credit to you Chris..amazing and close and clean!! ( race 1)

#10 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

Race 4) https://youtu.be/gxayDvcbG1I
Race 5) https://youtu.be/wDkQ84xlj9Y

I couldn't figure out how to edit my earlier post so I made a new one.
See you all at Muscle Car Masters for its next meeting. Chris

#11 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

Love your work Chris ...

#12 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Wayne, it was good to hang out and for you to catch up with Dad. He still loves going out to the tracks and participating in some way. It's great to be able to spend time with equally as passionate Torana nuts. Hahaha I'll see you again soon, maybe at MCM if your coming out.

#13 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

It was a pleasure to catch up with and your dad,even if we had to go to Mexico to do it.. Will definitely see you at MCM if not before ? When are you running the IPRA car again ?

#14 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

I'm not too sure, I've got to fix the panel damage from Bathurst first and then put a motor in it. If I race it this year it will probably be the IPRA nationals in SA later in the year. I may take it out for a shakedown before then though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users