Foot Brake cable system on LX Torana hatch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _koz_hatch_

_koz_hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Hi guys,

Its been a very long time since I have posted which means the resto has kicked off again  :rockon:

Can I ask someone to point me in the right direction. Scenario as follows:

I have a Lx Hatch and have installed a shortened 9 Inch diff. As of recent I upgraded the brakes to a Hopper Stopper 4 x Disk kit.

My question is - Will the factory foot brake cable system work with the 9 Inch diff that has hopper stopper disk rear end. Im quite sure the rear disk system is commodore.

Any help will be appreciated - Thanks Koz  :D

#2 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Hi Kosta, I'm pretty sure you can buy the rear cables that are for commodore rear brake conversion. Only question will be whether there is a material change in length due to the shortened 9 inch but I hope not as I will be in the same position shortly.  I'm guessing there is enough adjustment in the thread end to allow for this. Other matter to consider is whether or not you have made any changes to accommodate the 9 inch and disc brakes.  Auto Cables in Greensborough Melbourne do a bit of this stuff (they also sell on EBay) but would be surprised if you couldn't find someone in Sydney. Alternatively I've read on other threads/sites that it isn't difficult to get cables shortened and new end pieces fitted but haven't investigated that myself. I will be interested to know how you get on with it.  Cheers Ron

Edited by Cook, 23 March 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#3 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

Kosta I just modified the original cables, only took around an hour and one stick of silver solder. I have included a link of my car that includes this mod which may help.

http://www.gmh-toran...-project/page-2

#4 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

I had a mob, maybe the guys mentioned above, make new cables for mine, as I didn't get the park brake cables with the rear disc assy's.

I also cut the mounting hats and rotated the caliper to be out the front, and had cables made to suit, the guys that made my cables were quick to say, yeah we do them all the time, 9" with commodore disc's into Torana, off the shelf after confirming the length was right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users