• PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Lh torana

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

Hi Guys
Im after some advice/help
I brought my first torana last week.
Its an lh sedan. Has previously been done like an slr 5000 with flares and rear spoiler.
Ive had a guy i know look at the car and he tells me it has the l34 rear 10bolt diff and its also got disc brakes all around.
It also had the lip cut from inside the engine bay and had a racing seat dash and petrol race tank in the boot etc
He thinks it must of had a big block in it previously- it also has a cut in the passenger front floor we r guessing for the extractors maybe.
Question is could the whole set up be a9x set up including the diff?
I have just brought a repair manual and from what i read only a9x's came out with 4 wheel disc brakes? Is this true? Seems l34 had front discs and rear drums
Can i re weld a lip back in the engine bay ? If so any advice how?
Im a newbie haha any help will be great
Cheers

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

L34 was a banjo and drum rear

Got some pics of the items in question ?

#3 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

I read only a9x's came out with 4 wheel disc brakes? Is this true? Seems l34 had front discs and rear drums

Keep in mind Toranas lived through the 80's mod craze and throwing in another rear end, adding rear discs, etc. was not unusual, same goes with putting in a Top Loader, Muncie, etc. There definitely were Toranas with big blocks.

It's not impossible that the PO sourced a rear end from an A9X and did the modifications to suit but my guess is you have a 10 bolt Salisbury rear end with discs modified for a Torana, these were almost as common as throwing in a 9 inch rear back then. Today most go for a Borg Warner if they want extra strength and don't want to put in a 9 inch and only choose BW over Salisbury mainly due to the lack of Salisburys still around.

Can i re weld a lip back in the engine bay ? If so any advice how?

Of course you can, nothing's impossible, it just depends on how much you want to spend. You're best asking that question in the paint & panel sub-forum here:

http://www.gmh-toran...15-paint-panel/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 23 March 2018 - 10:05 AM.

#4 Mitchyboy

Mitchyboy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:22 AM

L34 was a banjo and drum rear

Got some pics of the items in question ?

Hey datto man
Sorry for the late reply
I just posted heaps of pics in my intro thing .
Love your opinion on it.
Had heaps of trouble working out the forum but now ive downloaded this tapa talk app and i can post everything and see posts haha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#5 Mitchyboy

Mitchyboy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:28 AM

Keep in mind Toranas lived through the 80's mod craze and throwing in another rear end, adding rear discs, etc. was not unusual, same goes with putting in a Top Loader, Muncie, etc. There definitely were Toranas with big blocks.

It's not impossible that the PO sourced a rear end from an A9X and did the modifications to suit but my guess is you have a 10 bolt Salisbury rear end with discs modified for a Torana, these were almost as common as throwing in a 9 inch rear back then. Today most go for a Borg Warner if they want extra strength and don't want to put in a 9 inch and only choose BW over Salisbury mainly due to the lack of Salisburys still around.

Of course you can, nothing's impossible, it just depends on how much you want to spend. You're best asking that question in the paint & panel sub-forum here:

http://www.gmh-toran...15-paint-panel/

s

Thanks Stephenslr
Did you see the pics ive recently posted.
Love to see what u think.
I just think its weird the diff has no id on it any where. And tge book i have says it should.
Ill try and take some better pics next week and post.
Im unsure which way to go with the engine
I wanted a 350 chev but sounds easier to just go a worked 308.
Do you think the 10 bolt would be ok for these set ups? Obviously get it reconditioned. I mean it must of been in it when the big block drag motor was
Im new to all this mate as u can tell
Cheers

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:08 AM

Photo is a bit hard to read but my guess is diff looks like a HZ not even cut down.
Its had the ears welded on as per borg warner or 9 inch
If it held up with the abuse it looks this car took then it will live another day.

#7 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

Thanks Stephenslr
Did you see the pics ive recently posted.

No, I'll check them out.

If you're building or just want to show off your car it's best to place your pics in the 'Members Projects' sub-forum, it will get the most attention and responses here:

http://www.gmh-toran...projects-plans/

The intro thread is just that, say hi, dip your toe in the water, perhaps post a pic of your car, then you go in to the deep end in the real forum, lol.

Do you think the 10 bolt would be ok for these set ups? Obviously get it reconditioned. I mean it must've been in it when the big block drag motor was

Yes, if you have one already in good working order, you may as well put it to good use rather than shell out a small fortune for another diff.

Just like any diff, if you hammer it enough, it will wear down or break. If you treat it right, it'll do you good in return.

Just keep in mind if you want to give it the rough stuff, there's not many around so parts may be hard to get; this is the reason people today choose a 9 inch or B/W instead; parts aplenty!

s

#8 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:05 AM

Did you see the pics I've recently posted.

There's quite a few pics in that thread; I'm sure if you ask Dattoman nicely he'll move that thread into the right forum.

;)

s

#9 Mitchyboy

Mitchyboy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

There's quite a few pics in that thread; I'm sure if you ask Dattoman nicely he'll move that thread into the right forum.

;)

s

Thanks dude
Ill definetely hit him up
It took me 2 weeks to work put how to bloody post and now ive posted in the wrong spot hahaaa
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users