• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name:Curtis
  • Car:LC GTR and LH SLR

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

Hello all,

First time starting a thread here.

My LH torana has a LS1 383 stroker and a Mal Wood TKO600 gearbox. It also uses a McDonald bros racing fabricated 9 inch trutrac centre with 3.5 gears.

Recently I noticed a oil leak from the back of the tail shaft yoke.

Pulled the yoke out and discovered that the splines inside the yoke were twisted. Went and bought a chromoly strange engineering yoke as the replacement figuring it would be a bit stronger and wouldn’t happen again.

Put it all back together and I have noticed a quite noticeable rotational noise at 80-90 kmh. It’s like a wheel bearing noise.

Anyway I’ve replaced both front bearings and it did not fix it.

I thought the tail shaft was a bit short so got the tail shaft remade and balanced. Put the shaft back in and noticed that when you grab a hold of the tail shaft yoke and move it firmly up and down there is probably 1-2mm of play.

I’ve since read that if the tail shaft was too short it can have play and cause the extension housing bushing to get worn out from the play of the shaft being too short.

Since remaking the shaft a bit longer I’ve noticed there isn’t as much play but there is still some.

I’m just wondering if the extension housing bushing that the tail shaft yoke slides through on its way into the back of the gearbox is worn out.

My question is I guess what do you guys think? Also where would be a reputable place to take it to get diagnosed and fixed?

I am located in Sydney (north) NSW.

I can remove the gearbox myself if need be once diagnosed.

#2 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

You probably flogged the bush out at the last 20mm, and now you have longer shaft, its in further where the bush would have not been touched before, so that is taking all the load as the rest of the bush is probably stuffed, replace it.

#3 AGREV8

AGREV8

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hopefully that is all it is. I will replace the bushing. Its just sitting there not being driven at the moment as I don’t want to make the problem worse. I miss driving it.

#4 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

I took my T56 to Hornsby diffs for shimming after fitting the Mal Wood extension, I think it was Mark that did it.

I haven't driven it more than 400m since so I can't tell you how it is but it worked for the 400m and he seemed knowledgeable with regards to the T56 and was recommended to me by someone else in the auto industry

#5 AGREV8

AGREV8

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

That place is literally a 2 minute drive from where I live. I might just take it to him and see what he thinks about the whole thing.

#6 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

Until someone recommended him I would not have thought he did anything gearbox related due to the business name

Can't remember who but it was someone on the northern beaches who recommended him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users