Gatti

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:LJ 2 Door

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

Ok Torana brains trust. This is my first rebuild and I'm after some advice. Below is a walk around video of my LC after I have sanded most of the paint and I’d like your opinions. The plan is to build it as a tidy streetcar that will do some driving events, not a show car. I think the body is looking good except for the drivers floorpan which I have cut out as well as the drivers side scuff plate area which you can see in the video. There appears to be some filler on both sides behind the side windows but my understanding is they used to ‘skim’ panels and sand it smooth as it is a very thin layer. I’m thinking that with the rest of the body I just sand it smooth and hit it with epoxy primer ready for paint. What do you think?[/size]

Here's the walk around video https://youtu.be/P7El0ei56F8

And some photos

7fN2h4v.jpg
gfTbN9A.jpg
512INV3.jpg
mHXTdm3.jpg
jXRS6uE.jpg
t5KlTF6.jpg
oAQCnTd.jpg

Edited by Gatti, 05 April 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#2 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

Check the a pillars for rust as well. Unless you want those flares I would get rid of them.

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Hi Matt. My advice is purely based on circumstances, not expert experience.  What you do depends on a number of things such as desire, time, money, ability, facilities etc.  When I bought my hatch it was in primer and I just wanted to get it painted and back together, and enjoy driving it, but I decided to investigate one section that the previous owner said had been repaired, and after getting through a ton of bog and seeing the patches underneath, it has now ended up being a full resto.  Six years later, part of me still wishes I had just painted over it and I would be driving it today.  It's either do it once do it right, or save your pennies now and just do enough to get it back on the road driving and enjoy it, then plan for a full out assault at a later stage.  Really does get down to your own situation but good luck whichever way you go.  Cheers Ron 

#4 Gatti

Gatti

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hi Matt. My advice is purely based on circumstances, not expert experience.  What you do depends on a number of things such as desire, time, money, ability, facilities etc.  When I bought my hatch it was in primer and I just wanted to get it painted and back together, and enjoy driving it, but I decided to investigate one section that the previous owner said had been repaired, and after getting through a ton of bog and seeing the patches underneath, it has now ended up being a full resto.  Six years later, part of me still wishes I had just painted over it and I would be driving it today.  It's either do it once do it right, or save your pennies now and just do enough to get it back on the road driving and enjoy it, then plan for a full out assault at a later stage.  Really does get down to your own situation but good luck whichever way you go.  Cheers Ron 

Thanks mate. I am currently leaning towards the get it back on the road approach. I have gone over the car with a magnet as well and checked all the usual spots (and everywhere else) and there's no issues with the magnet sticking anywhere which is a good sign that it's not full of bog. I'm thinking that the guys who started the rebuild did it properly, apparently the father passed away and the son lost interest in it which is now I got hold of it. 

#5 Gatti

Gatti

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Check the a pillars for rust as well. Unless you want those flares I would get rid of them.

Thanks mate.

The flares will be staying as they will make it something different to every other LC Torana out there. Fat rubber with the right offset rims to fill them out and it will look pretty good in my opinion. If it was a genuine GTR or XU1 that be gone, but it's just an S model.

#6 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name:MrFX
  • Car:Fx

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

comes down to what you can acheive and afford,  if you can afford a proper paint job then go for it, if you want to drive it sooner than just paint over what you have,  

I Currently have an EH panel van, ive had it for 5 years or so, and nothing has happened, do i want to wait another 5 yrs while i do it up before i drive it?  NO  so im doing a quick DIY paint job so i canget it on the road in a few months. then i can enjoy it,  

Best advise anyone ever gave me was built your car for you not anyone else

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users