#1 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Car:LX sadan

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

torana lx 4 door, for some reason the door wont open from the outside or inside, i can see that when trying to open from the inside the rod connecting from the handle and door mechanism is working but the door refuses to open ( with any amount of swearing ) have you guys any way of fixing this issue please ...... im sure i opened it 6 or 7 months ago without issue. 

i should add its the most important door on the vehicle .......... drivers !!!!

#2 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

Lubricate where the plunger is (where the rod goes into the mechanism) and push up and down on the plunger.  It should free up. Have seen them jam up internally recently and this is how it was opened.

#3 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

Sometimes the connecting rods get a little bent. They might still move, but not enough to release the catch. Or they might become disconnected and move freely while not actually doing anything... I've had both of those happen. Best bet is to open it with a coathanger, take off the inner lining and then have a good look at what's going on.

#4 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply ........ the handles both inside and outside seem to be working correctly .( going by what if feels like  on of the passenger door ) its almost as its locked ....... ive tried locking and unlocking using both the key and knob on the door. ......... i cant see what the mechanism is doing because of the rubber shroud around the lock itself. looks like im going to have to try and remove the door card ........oh and ive drowned it in wd40 with no luck ...... 

#5 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Door card job off for sure mate.  

#6 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

as luck would have it ......... i just happen to have the guards off, so i loosened the hinges to remove the card and managed to get the door open ........ i removed the door mech. and will now have to study all the working parts to find the issue ....... lubrication is the first priority ......... ive soaked it in wd40 and will have another look tomorrow ....... i can tell you that the link between the outside door handle and the mech. was off and im not sure on how it should look ....... guess ill have to study the passenger door............. thankyou gentlemen for your assistance ....... 

#7 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

The connecting rods for the mechanism are held on by very small circlip-type gidgets. If they come loose the rod will follow. And yeah, if that's the case it will feel "locked" because you can yank on the doorhandle without feeling anything from the release catch. 

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users