natcamp10

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Name:Nathan
  • Car:Lj torana

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Thanks mate that’s really good info in there , two more Things I had not thought about was the extra flow of coolant at high rpm , and spinning the alternator too fast as well , would you suggest modifying the water pump impeller on a street car ? , I will more then likely run it down the 1/4 as well from time to time,
👍

Thanks mate that’s really good info in there , two more Things I had not thought about was the extra flow of coolant at high rpm , and spinning the alternator too fast as well , would you suggest modifying the water pump impeller on a street car ? , I will more then likely run it down the 1/4 as well from time to time,
👍

#52 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

The thermostat governs coolant flow. Just make sure your pump has a cast impeller so it doesn't cavitate.
On the alternator, what do you have currently? will you run a thermo to cool this thing?
You would benefit upgrading to an 85 amp alternator like many of us have.

#53 natcamp10

natcamp10

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

Arh that Makes sense red , not sure about the fan with high rpm was gonna go thermos on a alloy tank plus the link Above might not have room with balancer mod I’m going to run , the alternator is already a 85 amp

#54 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

Ahh yeah of course, I forgot about your balancer. Definitely thermo only with that.

#55 natcamp10

natcamp10

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:31 PM

Ok guys up date ..
I’ve got a Virgin 186 red block running a rope seal as rear man .
Picked up a running blue 202 pulled it down to grab the crank , I found this too has a rope seal and not neroprene the journal sizes between the blue crank and red crank where it runs is the same . Now I’ve read to fit a blue motor crank into a red motor block you need to machine the crank is this true in all cases or did blue cranks come out with both types neoprene and rope ???
I’m hoping
Nath👍

#56 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Blue crank only came with rope seal. Main bearing sizes should be different, blue crank should be bigger but may have been machined under size during a recondition.

#57 natcamp10

natcamp10

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:38 PM

Blue crank only came with rope seal. Main bearing sizes should be different, blue crank should be bigger but may have been machined under size during a recondition.

hi warrenm
I keep reading online I need to machine the blue crank rear main seal area so it will fit to a red block cause the rear main seal is differnt but when I measure a red crank verses a blue crank for the rear main Seal area they’re the same and look identical ..I was Thinking some blue cranks you would need to get machined and some you don’t
Cheers
nath👍

#58 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:23 AM

If you are going to put a blue 202 crank into a red 186 you will have to have the main journals ground down to fit the 186 block. You may have to grind or machine some material off the oil slinger as it may scrape in the 186 seal area.

regards

#59 natcamp10

natcamp10

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Ok so if I put a blue crank into a red 186 block I need to machine the. Mains to fit , if I put the blue 202 crank into red 202 both running rope seal then this will go straight in yeah
Cheers 👍

#60 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:37 PM

Ok so if I put a blue crank into a red 186 block I need to machine the. Mains to fit , if I put the blue 202 crank into red 202 both running rope seal then this will go straight in yeah
Cheers

Yes, that is correct.

#61 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:21 AM

All 202's have the bigger main journals. 186,179,173 reds,161, 149 and was there a 138 red?, all have the smaller journal.

regards

#62 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:33 AM

All 202's have the bigger main journals. 186,179,173 reds,161, 149 and was there a 138 red?, all have the smaller journal.

regards

Yes, they made heaps of 138ci (2250cc) Red 6's. There was also a 130ci red 6 for export only.

#63 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

regards

AFAIK all 173 engines from 1974 onwards had the same large main journals as a 202.

Dr Terry

#64 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...l= blue engine

#65 natcamp10

natcamp10

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thanks guys
Also did some more measuring and research as I was under the impression that blues had the neoprene seals in them ., can someone clarify that the neoprene seals come in the black motor or are they the earlier saels supplied in the red , I know the difference between the seals just trying to place when they were introduced .. I pulled the original red std 202 apart that came in the car and to my surprise it’s 15 tho over size on the bore and a good block to start with , it was a strong runner in the car when I pulled it out so I’m going to go with that block , machine it out to 20/30 tho and fit the blue crank to it , I got a virgin 186 if anyone is interested
Cheers
Nath

#66 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

Not sure what you intend to do with the car mate, but the circuit guys typically run oversize waterpump and alt. pulleys. ( to slow them down a bit). There is a guy in Sydney who makes them from alloy billet. 

The  only downside I have found, is that at a slow idle, the "generator" light comes on.

#67 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Thanks guys
Also did some more measuring and research as I was under the impression that blues had the neoprene seals in them ., can someone clarify that the neoprene seals come in the black motor or are they the earlier saels supplied in the red , I know the difference between the seals just trying to place when they were introduced .. I pulled the original red std 202 apart that came in the car and to my surprise it’s 15 tho over size on the bore and a good block to start with , it was a strong runner in the car when I pulled it out so I’m going to go with that block , machine it out to 20/30 tho and fit the blue crank to it , I got a virgin 186 if anyone is interested
Cheers
Nath

Neoprene rear main oil seals were superseded by the rope seals in early/mid 1974.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users