LH-LX Torana Dash Removal/Install

Dash Board dashboard cluster

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Potsie_

_Potsie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

I couldn't find a general thread on dashboards so I thought that I would start one.

I'm hoping someone out there can assist me with my problems:

Problem 1 - I want to put a new cluster in my LX sedan. I've removed the upper dash and unscrewed the woodgrain fascia and but the fascia it is still holding firm. There are two inserts at the top of the fascia (indicated in image) which indicate to me that the top of the fascia clips into the dash mount. I've given it a bit of a nudge with a screwdriver but I'm hesitant to use much force in case I break it. Can anyone give me some guidance on the removal of the fascia? 

Problem 2 - I washed my LX for the first time the other day and discovered 1-2 litres of water coming out of the side air vents as I drove home. Would this be due to a blocked drain in the cabin air intake?

Attached Files

#2 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

Careful Potsie this stuff can be brittle. Have you taken out the screws going straight up above the clock

and fuel gauge recesses? Also the gauges are screwed to the back of that fascia so the speedo cable

will need to be disconnected from the back of it (hope you have skinny hands:) Get yourself a manual (book-

not gearbox) they make life a lot easier with this stuff. Your water problems could be from a rusted out plenum

floor which is very common and there plenty of threads how to fix on here. Good luck mate.

#3 _Potsie_

_Potsie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Stuart. I had missed those 2 screws. Having trouble detaching the cables/leads from the back of the cluster. I might just play it safe and take it to an auto-electrician. I've got a manual but it doesn't go into enough detail.

#4 _Potsie_

_Potsie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

I don't think the chamber is rusty otherwise the water would have leaked onto the cabin floor wouldn't it? It was coming through the air vents which indicates to me that the water isn't draining away. My best guess is that the drain holes are plugged. I found this image of a plenum chamber on another forum. Have I got the holes labelled correctly?

#5 _Potsie_

_Potsie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

Attached File  Plenum Chamber.jpg   81.43K   5 downloads

I don't think the chamber is rusty otherwise the water would have leaked onto the cabin floor wouldn't it? It was coming through the air vents which indicates to me that the water isn't draining away. My best guess is that the drain holes are plugged. I found this image of a plenum chamber on another forum. Have I got the holes labelled correctly?

Take 3

Attached Files

#6 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Have another go at the speedo cable. It is locked by a plastic ratchet / lever thingy. Right up close to the cluster. You can get some slack on the cable by disconnecting from the gearbox and feeding through.

#7 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

That does make sense if the drain tubes are blocked. Try poking something flexible like a thick cable tie through the drain tubes

from under the front guards to see if you can free then up. The speedo cable isn't that hard to remove just awkward. It has a retaining

latch that if I remember rightly needs to be pushed forwards as you pull the cable out of the back of the speedo. You will then be able to 

remove the fascia and instruments enough to get to the wiring harness plug to disconnect it then the cigarette lighter and your done.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users