Rubber or Other Front end Bushes

Suspension

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

I had my LH, 253, serviced today and it was discovered that the bushes (non-rubber) used between K-frame and front rail have disintegrated. I suspect this has been over time. Many years ago, about 13 years, Pedder's replaced all rubber with non rubber suspension components. I say non-rubber because I am not sure what is polyurethane or nolathane. At that time, I was told that there were no rubber bushes or components. I believe that today bushes to use are rubber. I have researched this topic but I am still a little confused. I use my car on the road only.

I rang a suspension wksp in Perth, not to name, and I was told that they do not recommend or use rubber bushes/components. In his words, 'rubber bushes are shit'.

Can you please help me understand the different types, rubber or non rubber, and is there parts of suspension that are better to use one type over the other. Which brand is better. Also, can anyone recommend a good suspension whsp here in Perth.

I appreciate any help on this.

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:28 PM

First of all rubber is way better than plastic rubbish
Second that suspension place just wants to make more money coz plastic cost more so charge more
Thirdly Resto Country they sell good rubber bushes to suit all cars pretty sure they sell Mckay bushes which are very good
Most people i know are all changing back to rubber

#3 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:45 PM

First of all rubber is way better than plastic rubbish
Second that suspension place just wants to make more money coz plastic cost more so charge more
Thirdly Resto Country they sell good rubber bushes to suit all cars pretty sure they sell Mckay bushes which are very good
Most people i know are all changing back to rubber

+1

#4 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

Rubber.

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

Rubber is the way to go, especially for street cars.

Urethane has its place if you want to stiffen the suspension for racecar use, but as you've found it just doesn't go the distance.

Some brands of urethane are better than others, but if it was so good why don't the manufacturers use it.

I would be very wary of any suspension 'expert' who says rubber bushes are sh!t.

Use rubber.

Dr Terry 

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

There was a time when Nolathane was the go

Rubber bushes were harder to find (mount and outrigger) so everyone used the red stuff

Go back to rubber John ... keep the old girl suple and nicer to drive

#7 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

Mckay rubber bushes were used by Holden from factory and are still available through most auto accessories parts stores. The local auto accessories place talked me into using plastic bushes when I restored my hatch. because at the time they said rubber was not available. The first plastic bush in the rear suspension failed after 1,000 km the second at 1,500 and the rest all failed between 3, 000 -4 ,500 km. since then none of the bushes that I have replaced with rubber have failed after 13,000 km. Its ok for the spare parts people to say sorry and give me new rubber bushes at there cost price, but I spent two days replacing the totally rooted plastic crap.

All I can say is Rubber, Rubber, Rubber and don't let anyone talk you into using plastic or any fancy name they call them

#8 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Road car - Rubber! Much nicer all round
Oh & get a new “suspension expert”

#9 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Thank you for your comments. I have found a suspension wksp in Malaga that do rubber and provided advice instead of swaying me off rubber.  Dottoman, the old girl is going great for her age. Cheers John

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users