239 replies to this topic

#126 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

The small reservoir is always the rear circuit as far as I am aware, the photos Laurie put up is the older type with the front brake reservoir at the front (round on lid). The later ones are designed with a cutout so the fluid shared between the reservoirs.

Here is the later type:
https://www.ebay.com...hcAAOSwyTtdRJzH

The different threads are supposed to move with the reservoirs, but I have an aftermarket one here that didn’t so the rear brake reservoir at the front was connected to the front discs and vice versa, so didn’t work right with the check valve I the discs and an open port on the drums.

Datto might have some better info than me for you too.

Edited by yel327, 18 December 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#127 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

So spoke to The master cylinder rebuilder today and he told me that they always put the check valve for the drum brakes in the bigger thread.
My bigger thread is on the front.
Added the pic of both master cylinders, I had never noticed the difference between the 2.
It all makes sense now.
Bigger thread, small reservoir, rear brake always remains the same.

Brake lines almost done.
Rear is all done down to a new hose for the brakes on the 9inch.

Do line locks solenoids work both ways?
Lock front brakes on and Lock out rears whole still having full front brake control?

Attached Files

#128 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

As you say, check valve, big thread. But not always. I have a new PBR arsed up one here.

#129 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

Greetings

Holdens are always supposed to be large thread to the rear brakes

Many aftermarket cylinders are cast wrong (cause they use the same casting for both early and late cyls and just thread the holes as needed)

Not a huge issue... if they have also cut away the centre section of the master to allow fluid to move about

#130 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

Do line locks solenoids work both ways?
Lock front brakes on and Lock out rears whole still having full front brake control?

How they normally work is foot on brake, active line lock, foot off brake which then traps pressure in the system (front or rear, usually front) then release lock switch to launch.

That solenoid has only 2 ports which would suggest either front or rear locking on later split system brakes.

Subaru had a factory fitted line locker called a "hill holder"

https://www.google.c...f=1576759573238

#131 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:18 AM

Most aftermarket line locks like the B&M 'roll control' (possibly what you have there) must be installed in the right direction, they will act like a one-way valve when activated. They also reccomend you don't use them for more than a minute or two at a time.

You can either use them to lock the fronts on as rodomo described (and you can hit the brake pedal before or after switching it on), or you can reverse the direction and install on the rear circuit to stop the rear brakes from applying - more useful for automatics where you have a spare foot, but gives you the additional control you're talking about.

#132 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:13 AM

Agree with both comments above regarding the line locker:

(i) The traditional method of installation was in the front brake line: foot on brake pedal, activate the solenoid, then foot off pedal. Front brakes are now locked on. Commence burnout. Release switch when ready to go.

(ii) Option 2 - which I what I've done - and at least half a dozen mates - is install the solenoid backwards (reverse direction) in the rear brake line. This now means you activate it first (ensuring your foot is NOT on the brake pedal), and then once activated, you are now free to apply the brakes on and off as often as you like, and they will only operate the front brakes, effectively making the rear brakes in-operable.

And yep - they're only designed for short bursts of use. I've wrecked 2 of the B&M ones.

#133 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

I have one at home with a key switch and a one way valve in it when key is switched. It goes in the front brake circuit. So park car and turn key on and take key with you........Crooks steak car and use brakes for the first time. Front brakes lock on, they are left in middle of intersection doing a burnout trying to take off. HJ Ute got pinched with this in, found 200m away at traffic lights with doors open.

#134 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:56 AM

Haha excellent!

#135 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

You could also install a tap on the rear brake line to turn brakes on or off. Just like a ball valve tap. Can buy the fittings at any brake shop and get the ball valve tap at most aswell. This way no electrics to worry about and you activate it from under the car so no change of knocking it when in the car moving around. Seen this set up use on burn out cars. Also a good security device as you can lock the brakes and walk away and not worry about electrics. just make sure brakes are cooled down to reduce heat sink in the rotors.

#136 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

We used to have a valve with a lever on it in one of the old tow trucks... stand on the pedal, pull the lever and it'd lock all four wheels up, which was good for winching cars back onto the road. Unfortunately it worked in reverse too, if you pulled the lever without pressing the pedal then it completely disabled the entire braking system (you only made that mistake once I can tell ya)!

Not sure if you'd want to leave a brake system pressurised for any length of time though (like overnight), I think you might find it would leak down over time?

#137 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

Happy new year guys.

Thanks for all the comments regarding the line locker.
Eventually I would like to set it up to disable rear brakes from working when I press the brake pedal.
And you guessed it, to do burnouts while still having front brakes working as per brake pedal application.

Lost a bit of build momentum over Christmas/new year.
Had two weeks off work and had planned to really crack in to the Torana, got stuff all done.
Firstly busy with family and Christmas and all that stuff
My senator broke down New Years Eve, another bloody fuel pump failed. Still haven’t got that back together, waiting for a new witting loom for the fuel tank.
What a prick of a job removing a fuel tank from a VE from the garage floor.

Got converter cover, wiper motor, brake booster and a few little brackets painted black.
So nearly got working brakes, just need to rebuild the front calipers and machine down the front brake rotors.
All the brake hard lines are run.
Convertor cover bolted on.
Nearly got the fuel pressure reg mounted, want to get some silicone heat sleeve to slide over the fuel hard line to protect it from the heat of the extractors.
Lower radiator hose kind of sorted.
It’s not perfect but at least I can install the oil filter properly, used a WB Holden V8 lower hose and cut a bit off each end. Not perfect but I can address that again once I get it running.
Also got the extractors bolted up to the heads,no gaskets I just did the copper silicon only, fingers crossed.

So while on topic of front brakes.
I have read on here that I will need to machine 6mm or 1/4nch off the diameter of the rotor.
Looking at my setup, it looks like I will need to machine a bit more than that off the disc or the caliper bolts aren’t going to go in the holes.
That’s all good I can machine a bit more off, however now the brake pads will touch on the rotor center hub where the bearing are.
I spose I can grind down the brake pads a bit.

Attached Files

#138 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

Filled the engine with oil and cranked it over trying to get oil pressure.
Haven’t got the spark plugs in yet. Prefilled the oil filter with oil. Almost 7 liters in the sump.
Think I’m gunna have to pull the oil pump off and pack with some Vaseline as I’m not getting oil pressure when turning the engine over.

Electric fuel pump and fuel filter mounted

Also got a few more bits bolted to the engine and engine bay.

Also picked up some HQ PBR cast iron brake calipers.
Has anyone got a picture of how they did the flexible brake lines with the HQ calipers?
Still have to do the disc machining and tie rod end clearance, then give the calipers a freshen up.

Attached Files

#139 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

Just had a thought
Still got the engine lifting plate bolted to the intake manifold.
Although spark plugs are out, would this reduce engine cranking speed?
Possibly help me get oil pressure.

Also what engine oil pressure should I be looking for just turning over on the starter motor?

#140 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

You could try unscrewing the oil pressure switch/sender/sensor/gauge fitting from the oil pump and squirting some oil in there to fill the pump, then refit and crank.

Some say this works, some say it doesn't, but it has for me in the past and it's a lot easier than dismantling the oil pump. If it doesn't work then it hasn't really cost you anything to try?

The amount of oil pressure you'll get on the starter depends on a few different things, but the figure doesn't really matter just so long as you get some pressure, it might only be a pound or two but at least you know everything's working.

#141 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

I did squirt 150ml or so into the oil pressure gauge hole. Still no love.
Ok cool if I got a couple PSI then I know it’s all primed up.
I would like to see the oil pressure gauge even move off zero.
I even took the valve covers off and poured oil over the roller rockers when I filled it with oil, just to get some top end lubrication

I’ll have another play around tomorrow night.

#142 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

It should spin fairly easily and quickly with all the plugs out. It can take a suprisingly long time for a dry holden V8 to make oil pressure. It took over a minute of cranking with the plugs out to get oil pressure in the yellow LJ after a change of sump and pickup.

#143 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

I actually expected it to spin over faster than it is.
Maybe my battery is a bit weak. Found it dead flat when I went to use it. Prolly been sitting dead for a couple months.

I’ll take the engine lifting plate off the manifold tomorrow arvo when I get home from work and have another crack.

#144 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

It will always be an uphill battle getting a battery to hold a full charge once it has been totally flat for any longer than a few weeks.

#145 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

You probably won't get enough oil pressure to move the gauge just by cranking it. As long as the pump is primed it will be fine, just make sure you check it gets pressure on first start.

If you have one of those grease-gun-style oil pumps wrap a bit of tape around the end so its a snug fit into the centre of the oil filter mount and you can prime all the galleries in 10 seconds flat.

#146 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:41 PM

So never ended up getting oil pressure just by cranking it with plugs out.
Didn’t end up pulling the pump off but I did get a big syringe and pump vasoline into the oil pressure switch and into the oil pressure relief valve gallery.

Got it started this arvo. Open pipes, no water, temporary wiring to coil, starter and fuel pump.
Loud as hell with open pipes but sounds awesome. My neighbors won’t be happy.
But I got oil pressure. 40pound and seen it at 60+ after a bit of a rev.

Taken next week off to get some more work done on it.
I got heaps of annual leave and long service leave owing.
Took 4 days of annual leave and getting 10days off, rdo and a public holiday in there so worked out well.

Fuel tank dropped off at fabricator to get a sump welded in.
Fuel lines almost done, just need to do a braided hose between fuel tank sump and fuel pump inlet.

Attached Files

#147 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

Bit more progress today.

Nose cone and guards bolted up and mostly aligned.
Bonnet on but needs more adjustment.
Headlights installed.
Starting to look like a torana again.

Not sure on the bonnet scoop, Something different I spose.

Fuel pressure reg/lines just miss the bonnet hinge.
Thank f@&k I didnt wanna make up another version of the bracket.
Pretty happy with how the fuel system came up in the end.
Hopefully get my fuel tank back this week so I can finish that part of the build.

Also wouldn’t mind getting the exhaust system done this week.

Plan this week is to get stuck into mounting radiator and shroud/fans, trans cooler, front rotors/calipers.

Attached Files

#148 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:45 PM

WTF are these?

Attached Files

#149 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

Mounts for aftermarket (front-mounted) anti-roll (sway) bar links? I have a similar thing on the bottom arm, also not sure they'd be particularly effective that close to the pivot.

#150 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:26 AM

Yep, same as mine but not bolted that close as 76lxhatch has said.  From whiteline swaybar kit. Can post up the fitting instructions if you like or I think you can get them off Whiteline web site. Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users