LX SS Speedo dramas

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

Hi

I had a jumping speedo in a LX 253 with trimatic so replaced the speedo cable and it stopped working altogether.When I took it out of the gearbox all the teeth on the cable cog were flattened.I replaced the cog on the end of the speedo cable, but still no speedo. When I was looking into the internal cogs condition I found it moves all the way from the front of the cable hole to the rear of the speedo cable hole.I am thinking after looking at some pics it may have come off its clip thing I see in the pics online.Has anyone had this problem and how do i rectify it

Thanks

#2 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

I also am confused as i have the dark blue cog on the end of the cable but the internal looks a pale blue.Is it the dark blue thats faded I am thinking???

#3 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

The little steel retaining clip has broken off if the internal gearbox drive moves. You will need to remove the extension housing from off the box to fix it.

#4 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Will have to find a hoist.Do i have to drain the oil?

#5 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Attached File  DSC_2693.JPG   364.97K   2 downloads

would this be a blue one or white one discoloured from the oil?  

#6 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

looks green to me ,     the speedo drives come in different colors - to suit different diff ratio     I don't think they discolour

#7 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

i cant find any green ones for sale.Blue and white is all I can find

#8 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:10 PM

There was mention of a green drive gear recently, I just can't find the thread right now.

From memory it was a first gen Commodore drive gear? And something in the back of my mind is saying it was a 10 tooth same as the yellow gear, but don't quote me on that?

#9 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Hi

Thanks for the direction and I  found another site for the H series cars and he had a 4 different colors lined up and the green and dark blue had the same amount of teeth so I’ll go with that and if the speedos out ill look at different driver cog colors. He said it only leaked a cup of fluid when he removed the housing so I’ll have a crack at having the rear higher and see how much I lose. There’s always something to be done .

Regards

#10 _BradleySS_

_BradleySS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

Hi

To follow through for future reference you were correct in that the clip has broken away from the hole in the shaft used to hold the drive cog in place.I used ramps on the rear and old rims under the front wheels and lost 500ml of oil after taking the housing off.The internal cog I took out was indeed green but was a nine the same as the blue one I bought.The gasket was in good shape so I was able to reuse with more sealant. Unfortunately this gasket for the rear housing is only available in a kit and not cheap so I avoided having to make one up luckily as I would have had to drop the exhaust to get the rear housing completely out to use as a template

Cost of a new cog and clip ,a little oil and half a day and I have a speedo again

Thanks for everyone's advise

Bradley 

#11 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

Interesting, thanks for getting back to us about that green drive gear, I'll add that info to my notes for future reference.

There was a green 9 tooth drive gear listed for the American boxes (M21/22 Saginaw, MC7 Muncie, M35 Powerglide and M38 TH350) all with GM part number: 6261782

I wonder if that physically fits in an Aussie box?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users